DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-16-2010, 06:44 PM

Default Off-Set Double Bass Drum Pedal

Hi fellow drummers.

It seems like we're always trying to find the right pedal for the money. It's a noble endeavor, for sure! There are a lot of choices, at many price points, and that can be a little confusing.

Almost by accident, I came across the Off-Set double bass pedal, and I have to tell you that I'm very, very impressed with them. They are not the conventional double pedal. Their beaters are in the middle instead of to the right or left!

The idea behind them is that they center you behind your kit, instead of playing off-centered to the left. Just like a drummer with two bass drums.

I wrote a full review of the pedals that's worth your objective read. I absolutely love them; I can't see myself going back to the typical double pedal. Anyway, that's for you to decide!

Product Review - Off-Set Double Bass Drum Pedal

Let us know what you think, if you'll consider them, and whatnot.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Off-Set Double Bass Drum Pedal

My initial thought is, "Man, I wish my Trick Pro 1v detonator came in this configuration", LOL. The middle pedal idea is a great one, i'd love to try one out, either the Off-set, the Sleishman or the Sonor Giant Step, but i have never even seen any of those in person at any music store. Some guys don't mind having most of their drums on the right or left of their seated position, but I'd like a more neutral seating position, with toms and floor toms on my left so i dont have to play with my body twisted to one side all the time. The only thing that makes me skeptical about the off-set are the parts. They honestly look like they're comparable to a vex, a pulse or sound percussion pedal as far as refinement. If you look at a high end DW, Axis, Trick or the Demon Drive, you see they use superior cnc cut parts made from high grade materials. The off set looks like is made from chromed over pot metals. In other words, other than the middle configuration, it just looks like a $100 double pedal.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
My initial thought is, "Man, I wish my Trick Pro 1v detonator came in this configuration", LOL. The middle pedal idea is a great one, i'd love to try one out, either the Off-set, the Sleishman or the Sonor Giant Step, but i have never even seen any of those in person at any music store. Some guys don't mind having most of their drums on the right or left of their seated position, but I'd like a more neutral seating position, with toms and floor toms on my left so i dont have to play with my body twisted to one side all the time. The only thing that makes me skeptical about the off-set are the parts. They honestly look like they're comparable to a vex, a pulse or sound percussion pedal as far as refinement. If you look at a high end DW, Axis, Trick or the Demon Drive, you see they use superior cnc cut parts made from high grade materials. The off set looks like is made from chromed over pot metals. In other words, other than the middle configuration, it just looks like a $100 double pedal.
Hi Diosdude.

I hear ya about the concerns on quality, but I can assure you that the quality of the Off-Set pedal is way beyond the Vex. Usually specialty items like these are difficult to find in stores, but this one might be worth a closer look.

The folks at Off-Set are very responsive, so if you have any questions at all about quality, I'm sure they'd be happy to answer. :)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

i saw those a few years ago, looked kind of gimmicky and cheap to me but i never tried one plus that wasn't what i was after when i found their site. i really wanted to try a duallist but was looking for something way cheaper, and considering how badly they sucked when i did find one i'm glad i bought it used and sold it for what i payed for it. but back to the big boy pedal, they make a few different kinds of pedals in various configurations, single pedals with 2 beaters that hit simultaneously, maximus 4 beater double pedals that does the same thing. they say 2 beaters hitting in unison have a better sound since it's twice the power or something. they also make standard configurations and offset ones in all their models.

kind of a cool idea but i dunno if it's worth the money to find out, if i remember right they rivaled the trick pedals in price but i could be mistaken on that one.

http://web.mac.com/kleidy1/Off-Set/Home.html offset's home page
Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

I wouldn't mind trying one but i don't think i'd buy it because to me, the left pedal on a 'normal' double pedal doesn't feel as natural as the main one. Which leads me to think this wouldn't be as great as a main pedal.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

I just wish Charlie had made this pedal direct drive instead of double chain. To me, it feels a lot like an Iron Cobra (and Tama's sold a few of those, eh?). When I play a single pedal, I play a Yamaha FDDD. When I play a double, I use my Off-Set.
Lots of companies make double pedals, but like Dios said, only 3 make use of the center pedal design.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

it actually looks pretty easy for a company to make one of those out of a right double and a left double. redesign an empty pedal to accept a shorter shaft on both sides and beaters and wallah! i'm betting it could even be done with existing parts.....

wonder why more campanies don't........