DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-11-2010, 01:01 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Why I love the blues, great SRV video

It's not really a drumming video at all. But it shows real musical conviction and passion pretty good, something that's related to drumming. His solos are master studies in how to play blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsqRBCXiuw

Starting at around 1:56 watch for a really evil eye roll, shortly after, he lets out these vocalizations before he launches into his solo, so cool....

Last edited by larryace; 02-11-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why I love the blues, great SRV video

Yes indeed Larry, SRV had a masterful feel for Blues.
I also study his music.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 AM
"Uncle Larry"

It's funny I got into blues music soley from the love of the guitar sounds. I thought blues chords played on a Strat was probably the best sound I had ever heard, and I didn't care if the drums were in the background, I wanted to be a part of that music. But there really is a lot to do in blues drumming, none of it too obvious
Old 02-11-2010, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

I've heard so many drummers comment that Blues is easy to play.
Then I heard them play the Blues. They overplay, They don't have the timing. They have no feeling for the music.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I hate to be blasphemous but I'm really not that crazy about Chris Laytons stuff behind SRV. It's not bad or anything but there's some things he plays that doesn't sit all the way right with me, little things.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I hate to be blasphemous but I'm really not that crazy about Chris Laytons stuff behind SRV. It's not bad or anything but there's some things he plays that doesn't sit all the way right with me, little things.
Im not going to go there with you Larry.
I will say this. I studied Chris and I learned a great deal from him. He does add some elements of Rock and Jazz to the SRV recordings.
The Hendrix covers are among my favorite in regards to his drumming.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 AM

Another blues fan here. I was practicing tonight listening to some Johnny Lang, Robin Ford, and Alin Lee's blues album (compilation) on the headphones. Figured I'd start with blues because I absolutely LOVE the stuff and it sounds "easy"... I SUCK....lmao!

Back to the pad......
Old 02-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Ooh yeah. SRV has that classic Jimi-ish tone and attack.

Larry, like you, I'm not crazy about Chris Layton's drumming although I would gladly accept his time, tempo, feel, sound and dynamics any day.

But as a music fan, when it comes to three-piece groups I like a bit more action from the drummer - think Mitch Mitchell, John Densmore, Stewart Copeland. Ok, different music, but in some of SRV's numbers you get the feeling that someone like Mitch could have helped take it to another level - that extra fire and creativity. Sorry Bob. Not being as brilliant as Mitch is hardly a disgrace :)

I thought the drumming on Couldn't Stand the Weather was super-tasty, though. An old band of mine covered that number for a while ... it's one of the most fun grooves to play ever IMO!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

i don't really like the sound of the ride cymbal in that video. it sounds like he's got tape on it.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:29 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Actually I was a little harsh on ol Chris, he does posess all the vital skills needed. I don't idolize him though. I like the guy from Duke Robillards band, Mark Trexiera (Texiera?)
But Stevies facial expressions in that video rreally get me.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
larryace;663516 It's funny I got into blues music soley from the love of the guitar sounds. I thought blues chords played on a Strat was probably the best sound I had ever heard
67'Strat running clean, just a little compression and little chorus thru a tube amp, an old Twin Reverb maybe...yup, that'lll do it for me too.
During my Rolling Stones/ Grand Funk/ Deep Purple/Uriah Heep days, Phil Zuzi played a BB King tune on my acoustic guitar and I heard a major 7th chord for the first time in my life.It changed my life forever.

On the Layton thing, I heard SRV in a small dive called Dan Lynch's in NYC in the early 80s. The man was so electrifying, there was absolutely no chance of noticing anything else. Gooseflesh stuff...

Last edited by aydee; 02-13-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:02 AM
Silver Member

When I think of Chris Layton's playing I think of his great Texas shuffle. Cold Shot is one of the best shufles ever IMO.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
When I think of Chris Layton's playing I think of his great Texas shuffle. Cold Shot is one of the best shufles ever IMO.
Agree. When you hear that you can see why SRV joined forces with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydee
I heard SRV in a small dive called Dan Lynch's in NYC in the early 80s. The man was so electrifying, there was absolutely no chance of noticing anything else. Gooseflesh stuff...
Yeah, he was a classic example of a true natural - the music just poured out of him. I love post Hendrix guitarist/band leaders - SRV, Robin Trower, Lenny Kravitz. We may not see the likes of those people again in the big league.

In Oz there is a blues guitarist - Jeff Lang - who is outstanding. I saw an outdoors gig of his last year. I hadn't heard them before at all and, tragically, was doing the usual moron drummer thing of mainly checking out the drummer, who was a fine player. However, the sound, style and vibe coming from Jeff's guitar was so compelling that it even dragged this pathetic drum tragic's attention to him.

Jeff is another natural ... like SRV, everything he plays on guitar is infused with a little bit of magic. Thoroughly recommended for blues fans who aren't purists ... his group went off on some pretty wild psychedelic improvisational raves.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It's not really a drumming video at all. But it shows real musical conviction and passion pretty good, something that's related to drumming. His solos are master studies in how to play blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsqRBCXiuw

Starting at around 1:56 watch for a really evil eye roll, shortly after, he lets out these vocalizations before he launches into his solo, so cool....
Man you just entertained me for a while. Great stuff. Unreal. We cover some of his stuff and I just love it. I cant play quite that sedately to it, though it's fun to maintain the feel. I love it thanks man.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:45 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I can't take credit for entertaining you, man it was all Stevie. Being as visibly convicted as that man is a rare sight indeed. He plays with such testosterone, as every man should.

You kind of have to play "sedately" to blues for it to work right. Otherwise, you'd be stepping on a great performance. When Stevie is "talking" (or any soloist) I don't like to "interrupt". Support for sure, but don't steal the spotlight at all. It's just common courtesy. Blues is not a drummers showcase, not at all, it about how good you can do a thankless job.
Kinda like Ringo. When he plays, it's easy to say, Oh man if I was playing that, I would have played "this" instead. The thing is, when you go ahead and try to play "this" you realize that Ringo knew what "NOT" to play.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
I used Cold Shot to perfect my shuffle beat. Thanks Chris! I love you man!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 PM

Hey Larry,
I've played guitar for over 25 years.....was a huge SRV fan, among many others. I believe this is from the, "Austin City Limits" series....a wonderful concert, if memory serves.

Yep....just went looking, here ya go....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQxxB...eature=related

the great ones always make it look so easy.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2_7P...eature=related

This was right around the time SRV put out the Tightrope album....he was really making a nice comeback (getting clean)....unfortunately, I tried 3x to see him, but tickets we're always sold out...I didn't try too hard to get any, and just figured I'd catch him next time. I remember the news of his death.....just awful...... remember Clapton was supposed to be on that helicopter, but gave up the seat to an exhausted Vaughn. That just killed me, I was sooooo into that album at the time, I was on my way to purchasing a big Marshall full-stack that day, when the news hit my radio.....devestating. A wonderful talent indeed, and definately gone before his time....the best was yet to come from him.

Lastly, if you appreciate great musicians...other than drummers...here is, just an supreme performance from another master.....love this song!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn27I...x=0&playnext=1
Old 02-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Actually I was a little harsh on ol Chris, he does possess all the vital skills needed. I don't idolize him though. I like the guy from Duke Robillard's band, Mark Trexiera (Texiera?)
But Stevies facial expressions in that video really get me.
T-e-x-i-e-r-a, Mark Texiera, lucky for me a personal friend. He's a GREAT drummer, and a wicked good kid too. I've watched him play since he was a young'n, and he surpassed ME years ago!! Fun as HELL to watch too as he's got an excitement for the music that few others possess.

Also, you forget the OTHER piece of the equation in SRV's band!! Chris would sound pretty out of place playing much more than he did with Tommy's bass playing. Tommy lay's it down like PAVEMENT and Chris splits the difference between Stevie and Tommy in a manner that's really PERFECT for the band. Any more that that and he'd be playing ALONE and not WITH the band. It's not the same with Mitch Mitchell, there was ROOM in Hendrix's music and Mitch filled it in quite well.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You kind of have to play "sedately" to blues for it to work right. Otherwise, you'd be stepping on a great performance. When Stevie is "talking" (or any soloist) I don't like to "interrupt". Support for sure, but don't steal the spotlight at all. It's just common courtesy. Blues is not a drummers showcase, not at all, it about how good you can do a thankless job.
Kinda like Ringo. When he plays, it's easy to say, Oh man if I was playing that, I would have played "this" instead. The thing is, when you go ahead and try to play "this" you realize that Ringo knew what "NOT" to play.
Not a big Mitch Mitchell fan, Larry? He played a lot but not all the time; in Red House he laid right back. On the other hand he carried on, including solo, in another of Jimi's blues like Catfish Blues. As a keen Ringo-ologist, when I listen to Ringo's tracks I'm not thinking of what I could play instead so much as "How did he think of that?"

I agree that for a drummer of my standard playing in a five-piece group as I am, laying back in blues will work best. However, if a drummer has as much mojo as Mitch is playing in a 3-piece outfit then, depending on the song, some extra carry-on while the bassist stays home can add a lot to the experience ... that wasn't "interrupting" or playing alone - it was a conversation.

Not knocking Chris, just agreeing with you that while he's a fine drummer he's not amongst my faves. Bob, I agree with you that Cold Shot's a great song and Chris's groove in it is spot on. The only formula is there is no catch-all formula IMO
Old 02-12-2010, 11:15 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I wouldn't say I'm not a Mitch fan. I am. Mitch...has such a unique style that you can't compare anyone else to him. He lays it back for Redhouse but still he has that "Mitch" flavor too it. (which works great for that song) Only he could do his style. I can't even imitate his style, so I don't try. He was really into Elvin Jones and has a deep jazz background, something I totally lack.

You have to wonder what Mitch would have done w/ SRV. I wonder if he would even get the gig. The 60's were a totally different time. Mitch was one of those guys who could "overplay", without detracting.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:25 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Yea I would like to say again that I apologize for my remarks about Chris Layton. It was inaccurate and after reconsidering some of the great parts he came up with, he really is a fine drummer that fit beautifully w/ Stevie and Tommy. I'm sorry I said it. It's his kit sound that doesn't appeal to me, not his playing.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea I would like to say again that I apologize for my remarks about Chris Layton. It was inaccurate and after reconsidering some of the great parts he came up with, he really is a fine drummer that fit beautifully w/ Stevie and Tommy. I'm sorry I said it. It's his kit sound that doesn't appeal to me, not his playing.
You were doing so well for a minute there Larry, And then you came to the part about the sound of Chris's kit!
Larry, Larry, What are we going to do with you?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I can't take credit for entertaining you, man it was all Stevie.
I knew that was comming! I was gonna edit my post. Anyway by sedately I meant the guy appears almost asleep. Not what he or I play but he is so calm about it. Not that that's bad though. Nothing about the band was bad.
In a nutshell what I was saying was "Holy crap that's great stuff. Thanks!'
Old 02-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
You were doing so well for a minute there Larry, And then you came to the part about the sound of Chris's kit!
Larry, Larry, What are we going to do with you?
Chris is remarkable. Chris is fabulous. I want to have his babies (and have someone else look after them). His kit sounds sooo good! It's important for our fellow DW members to be happy :)

No doubt he's a rock solid pro blues drummer but I'm with Dairyman when it comes to his ride sound in the vid. It sounds a bit dead to my ear.

Larry, I'm sure Chris's restraint is what SRV wanted - unlike Jimi - for the drums to stay at home while he pours his heart into the solo, but I always find it a bit strange when a soloist is pouring it out like that and the band just chugs along with it.

It's as though you have three people in conversation at a table ... one of them is shouting passionately "I GOT THE BLUES! MY WOMAN'S DONE ME WRONG AND IT'S DRIVING ME MAD!!" while the other two are just sagely nodding their heads, sipping their drinks, and quietly saying "Yep Stevie ... sure, it's a bummer".

I keep wishing one of them would stand up and say "YEAH STEVIE! I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE!!" :)
Old 02-13-2010, 05:23 AM

This has always been one of my favorite Stevie Ray videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUl0g8e4yLo
Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael McDanial View Post
This has always been one of my favorite Stevie Ray videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUl0g8e4yLo
Good message followed by a powerfull solo..the guy was great.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
T-e-x-i-e-r-a, Mark Texiera, lucky for me a personal friend. He's a GREAT drummer, and a wicked good kid too. I've watched him play since he was a young'n, and he surpassed ME years ago!! Fun as HELL to watch too as he's got an excitement for the music that few others possess.

Also, you forget the OTHER piece of the equation in SRV's band!! Chris would sound pretty out of place playing much more than he did with Tommy's bass playing. Tommy lay's it down like PAVEMENT and Chris splits the difference between Stevie and Tommy in a manner that's really PERFECT for the band. Any more that that and he'd be playing ALONE and not WITH the band. It's not the same with Mitch Mitchell, there was ROOM in Hendrix's music and Mitch filled it in quite well.

I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Mark too. Great guy and an awesome drummer. He has a lot of knowledge of drums and drummers, and has some great stories. I get a lot of my inspiration from his playing.
I think the thing about Chris Layton (another favorite) is that he makes it look SO easy; all the great ones do. Within blues there are many different styles and Mr. Layton can do them all. Remember, it was Double Trouble that Kenny Wayne Shepherd took with him out on the road for his 10 Days Out project. He knew that whatever style was thrown at them, they could handle it.
I agree with Larry...Chris Layton isn't going to 'wow' you with the crazy four-way coordination stuff, but his playing is a master class in the most important skill...listening. Watch those videos of him, he constantly watching SRV. Great stuff.