DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 PM

Default Regal Tip

Woah, this stick is awesome. It has a greater grip than any brand out there. I noticed that underneath, on the butt end of the stick, there is a black dot. I'm thinking it is a small piece of rubber for anti-vibration purposes. Is that what it is? Thank you.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Regal Tip

It's there trademark they've been like that for years. My fav Regal-Tip is there 7a nylon, my fav jazz-type stick out there not too mention an awesome side rim click. the dot is not a rubber dowel or anything just there trademark.

Bonzolead
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 PM

I read somewhere that the patent black dot is nothing more that remnants of whatever they use to hold the stick when dipping it into the varnish. Once dry it's clipped off at the butt-end leaving behind the little black dot.

Regal makes good sticks, but it's their brushes that I like best.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums&Beer View Post
I read somewhere that the patent black dot is nothing more that remnants of whatever they use to hold the stick when dipping it into the varnish. Once dry it's clipped off at the butt-end leaving behind the little black dot.
Exactly, it's the end of a plastic rod they put into the end of the stick for varnishing. It's about half an inch or so long and it doesn't really influence the sound or feel of the stick in any way.

Another common misconception that can sometimes be heard in music shops is that it's a rod of graphite going through the length stick that aids in the balance and sound.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:21 PM

I have been using the nylon tip 5As for several years. Their response especially on cymbals and hats is awesome. I have tried other brands, but keep coming back to Regal Tip 5A Nylon Tips. As stated before, the coating they have really grips well in your hands.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
It's there trademark they've been like that for years. My fav Regal-Tip is there 7a nylon, my fav jazz-type stick out there not too mention an awesome side rim click. the dot is not a rubber dowel or anything just there trademark.

Bonzolead
Thank you! I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Not even on Regal Tip's site.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Exactly, it's the end of a plastic rod they put into the end of the stick for varnishing. It's about half an inch or so long and it doesn't really influence the sound or feel of the stick in any way.

Another common misconception that can sometimes be heard in music shops is that it's a rod of graphite going through the length stick that aids in the balance and sound.
I sit corrected LOL, I always wondered myself about that, My dad has always used Regal-Tip sticks very high-quality sticks just like any stick you have too pick thru them too find the best ones(tight grain,not-warped,etc.). Thanks for the insight.

Bonzolead
Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
I sit corrected LOL, I always wondered myself about that, My dad has always used Regal-Tip sticks very high-quality sticks just like any stick you have too pick thru them too find the best ones(tight grain,not-warped,etc.). Thanks for the insight.

Bonzolead
The first time I bought Regal Tips I was fed the "graphite rods" story, so I sawed to pieces the first stick that broke to see what exactly it looks like inside. Obviously, it was all wood except for the half an inch of plastic at the very end. Later I heard on another forum about the actual purpose it serves; makes sense when you think of it too.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
The first time I bought Regal Tips I was fed the "graphite rods" story, so I sawed to pieces the first stick that broke to see what exactly it looks like inside. Obviously, it was all wood except for the half an inch of plastic at the very end. Later I heard on another forum about the actual purpose it serves; makes sense when you think of it too.
Makes total sense I did the same thing also the piece that came out was only about 1/8" to 1/4" I just thought a machine press them in there. Now that you explained it that seems a lot more logical.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead