DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: 2010 World Cup-South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufc.loyal View Post
If i have got it wrong, please accept my appolgises, for my misinterpatation and spelling.
Your knuckle-headed discussion of the politics of Northern Ireland have nothing to do with the 2010 world cup. Apologies accepted.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 AM
sufc.loyal

Jonescrusher. maybe you should join the debate, seeing as you have alot to say, i am interested in your opinion, on the several topices being banted about on this thread.

You might as well join in, seeing as your maoning comments have little to do with this thread either.

If you do not like this topic, then please leave, and go and moan else where.

I bet you are one of these people, who think a film has to much swearing in it, but will watch it all the same, moaning all the way through about the language, when all you have to do is to get up and leave.

Daja Vous, maybe.

But at least, you have now added a peice of diversity into the thread.

But to get back on topic.

England will be in the final of the world cup, with the whole world watching, then this thread will get really lively.

Rendevous, i see that 4no. players have left celtic football club and all gone south of the border, to the championship leauge and only 1 going to to the preimership and that was only Wigan. Was it something they said. maybe.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Rendevous, i see that 4no. players have left celtic football club and all gone south of the border, to the championship leauge and only 1 going to to the preimership and that was only Wigan. Was it something they said. maybe.
Chris Killen, Barry Robson and Willo Flood went to Middlesbrough and Gary Caldwell went to Wigan. The only decent player there is Robson. Killen can't finish, Flood was never able to prove himself and Caldwell is one of the worst defenders to have ever played for Celtic. Aside from Robson, thank god we got rid of them.

Also with Middlesbrough, our former manager, Gordon Strachan, is their manager and is keen on these players.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Pioneer Member

And Jonescrusher, if you don't like this then bugger off. If you have an opinion about football, then please contribute, but if you don't, then don't come to this thread, simple as that.

Politics and football go hand in hand.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:49 PM
sufc.loyal

Please note.

This topic has diversified abit

This is an of topic discussion, it could, and has disagreed with some people. if easily offended, please leave and do not moan about it.

Now that a certain part of Ireland, has an office within the Houses of Parliement, Northern Ireland will now remain part of the United Kingdom.

As for the football, Celtic should retain their players, as it is not the sort of club (and i hate to say it) that is faishon able, that can attract the big names.

AS for ENGLAND we will be in the finals this time, the only team representing the counrty's from the United Kingdon, Northern Ireland included.

Lee Barnard from Southend United has now left for Southampton
Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM

You all just keep fighting, so we (netherlands) can take the cup! :D
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
And Jonescrusher, if you don't like this then bugger off. If you have an opinion about football, then please contribute, but if you don't, then don't come to this thread, simple as that.

Politics and football go hand in hand.
No

Foooootballl in Off Topic Lounge: OK
Politics, Racism, Religion - NO - also in Off Topic Lounge

Bernhard
Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Pioneer Member

Might not be able to discuss it, fine, but if religion or politics is not allowed in the discussion, then might as well not talk about football at all because football is not just a game like baseball or hockey. Football is so much more than that and that cannot be denied. Politics plays such an integral part in football, that you can't properly discuss one without the other.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 PM
sufc.loyal

Bernhard.

No disrespect.

But there is lots of political and relegious tension, between many football clubs around the world, not least Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic.

So to talk about these two football clubs, and their football, you are infact talking about their Politics and religion.

Football is a very tribal thing, it is fact (sounds stupid) but it is your clan, your tribe, your family.

Which is why there was so much football violance during the 80's here in the UK. it was your young "warriors" wanting to prove to other clubs that theirs was the best in aspects. on and of the pitch. Which i do not codone.

Netherlands, i love the sea of orange shirts in the stands, brillient, but you will be second best to the English squad.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 PM

Bernard , thank you so much for all the work you have put into this whole thing . I can't wait to hear the rhythms of the world come togrther in peace on the continent Africa . I know I shall be placing pen to paper transcribing , listening , learning , and then sharing the rhythms with as many as possible .
Old 02-08-2010, 12:31 AM
nhzoso

Quote:
Bernhard.

No disrespect.

But there is lots of political and relegious tension, between many football clubs around the world, not least Glasgow Rangers and Glasgow Celtic.

So to talk about these two football clubs, and their football, you are infact talking about their Politics and religion.

Football is a very tribal thing, it is fact (sounds stupid) but it is your clan, your tribe, your family.

Which is why there was so much football violance during the 80's here in the UK. it was your young "warriors" wanting to prove to other clubs that theirs was the best in aspects. on and of the pitch. Which i do not codone.

Netherlands, i love the sea of orange shirts in the stands, brillient, but you will be second best to the English squad.

LOL, dude your just making a bunch of friends in every thread..LOL.. I see a ban in your future and I doubt there will be a thread where someone misses ya. You are now on my ignore list...mnoron.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Bernhard.

No disrespect.

I would say that if you can't talk about football and your team and how well they are playing, without including religion or politics, then you have a problem and it is time to grow up and learn to separate things.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:13 PM

So, how about that polygamous John Terry, eh?
Great way to screw the pooch, JT. Oh wait...
Old 02-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I would say that if you can't talk about football and your team and how well they are playing, without including religion or politics, then you have a problem and it is time to grow up and learn to separate things.
I'm sorry, but this is pretty ignorant of you to say something like this. Football is not like American football. Politics (and yes, sometimes religion) go hand in hand with majority of the football clubs. Celtic FC was founded by Brother Walfrid, an Irish Catholic brother to be exact. He wanted to have a club in Glasgow for the Irish Catholic population, where as Rangers FC was founded for the British Protestants. I'm sure you've heard about the troubles of Northern Ireland...often times, these two clubs are affiliated with the two oppositions. You can imagine the hate between these two clubs..

Apparently you're a liverpool supporter, so I would've expected you to know your history. Don't talk about something of which you have no clue about. And please, don't say that politics have no place in football, because you'll be proven wrong. Know your history.

Although I don't really agree with SUFC loyal about his prediction in the WC, banning him about speaking his mind on a matter of which he is bringing up valid arguments is ridiculous. Just proves to show that most North Americans don't know anything about Football. You think that it's just a sport, when in reality, and this may come as a shock to you or may seem "childish", but it is a way of life. Both of you, Gruntersdad and Nhzoso, need to grow up and stop being so narrow minded.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Administrator

I know the history and just don't understand the reasons. If that makes me ignorant, then so be it. American Football has its state to state and intra state rivalries, but none of this is based on religion. Sport is supposed to be fun and a diversion from everyday life, not one's life. If that is the way of life in Britian, then rather than perpetuate it, the citizens should be working to overcome it or change it. I understand the problems of Northern Ireland but not enough to take sides. It seems to me that for two hours on a Saturday or Sunday that 30 guys or whatever the team limits are, could let that rest. That's my opinion and shall be forever. Sorry.

P.S. I root for Man U. I guess that make me a bad guy too. Oh well.
P.S.S. From what I see watching the Premier League the players are from all over the world. Americans play in the Premier League, Czechs, Romanians, Russians, Brazilians, and on and on. I doubt very much if they care about the politics of Ireland or Scotland when they take the field. To them it is about the game and the money.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I know the history and just don't understand the reasons. If that makes me ignorant, then so be it. American Football has its state to state and intra state rivalries, but none of this is based on religion. Sport is supposed to be fun and a diversion from everyday life, not one's life. If that is the way of life in Britian, then rather than perpetuate it, the citizens should be working to overcome it or change it. I understand the problems of Northern Ireland but not enough to take sides. It seems to me that for two hours on a Saturday or Sunday that 30 guys or whatever the team limits are, could let that rest. That's my opinion and shall be forever. Sorry.

P.S. I root for Man U. I guess that make me a bad guy too. Oh well.
P.S.S. From what I see watching the Premier League the players are from all over the world. Americans play in the Premier League, Czechs, Romanians, Russians, Brazilians, and on and on. I doubt very much if they care about the politics of Ireland or Scotland when they take the field. To them it is about the game and the money.
You can't understand that football is more than a game to some people? Celtic was created to give the Irish Catholics some hope and support whilst living in a protestant dominated area. Every football club has a purpose.

You root for Man U? Didn't you have a Liverpool picture up once?

And also, about your comment on players not caring about the politics in certain countries...you'd be quite surprised. Whether you like it or not.... Football is not just a game to most people, it's a way of life, and if you find that childish, then I feel very sorry for you.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
American Football has its state to state and intra state rivalries, but none of this is based on religion. ...
Are you sure?

“Texas Stadium has a hole in the roof so God can watch his favorite team” (D. D. Lewis)

[I'm NOT a Dallas fan, especially because of the "America's Team" hype -- which is kind of contradictory to the state's modern motto, A Whole Other Country.]
Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
You can't understand that football is more than a game to some people? Celtic was created to give the Irish Catholics some hope and support whilst living in a protestant dominated area. Every football club has a purpose.

You root for Man U? Didn't you have a Liverpool picture up once?

And also, about your comment on players not caring about the politics in certain countries...you'd be quite surprised. Whether you like it or not.... Football is not just a game to most people, it's a way of life, and if you find that childish, then I feel very sorry for you.

The Liverpool avatar was a joke between myself and some other members last year. That's all. I'm not sure childish is the right word, but there are so many things in this world more important. I respect your opinion and your knowledge I'm sure is much better than mine, but still don't believe a player from Bosnia, with all of it's countries woes, has too much concern for the politics of Ireland or other European countries.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is pretty ignorant of you to say something like this. Football is not like American football. Politics (and yes, sometimes religion) go hand in hand with majority of the football clubs.
Based on what? The Celtic vs. Rangers thing is exceptional in British football in terms of the religious/political aspect. Sure, a lot of people are fanatical to the point of seeing football as a religion, but for the most part the fans' passions are based on hometown loyalty, nothing more. Any pride in the politics of Celtic v Rangers is utterly misplaced. One of the best things about the World Cup is that the sport shakes off all the domestic league BS and we get to see good football. Best to avoid getting hung up on petty and irelevant distractions Rendezvous.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:32 PM
sufc.loyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
LOL, dude your just making a bunch of friends in every thread..LOL.. I see a ban in your future and I doubt there will be a thread where someone misses ya. You are now on my ignore list...mnoron.
Having grown up with dyslexia, and a poor education, i think i have done well for myself, in life.

Pratts like you, who would mock or take the micheal out of me, only made me a more detertimind person in life, to do something with it, so i spent 18 years continuing my education once i left school, to get where i am today.

"dude" i am so glad i am on your IGNORE LIST, as with comments like yours, I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE YOUR FRIEND, i spent many years at school, trying to ignore people like you who found it funny to mock the less fortunate.

If i was you, i would start to up, and not take the piss out of people, who may not be as well educated as yourself, people who are not as articulate with words as you may be.

I will continue to post my comments, and if people diss like them, well, just do not reply to them, just ignore them, and pass me by.

"you can only please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time".

As for football, yes, there are alot of forigen players in the Premier league, but to be honest, they do not care for the club what so ever, its just about the money, if they were out of contract they would soon move to the next club that would pay them more.

Its the fans, that are the passionate ones, it is them that are Relgious, political, tribal etc... You only have to see how passioate the south american fans are about their teams, and them people go around shooting at each other, just becouase someone surports a differnt team to them.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Quote....Its the fans, that are the passionate ones, it is them that are Relgious, political, tribal etc... You only have to see how passioate the south american fans are about their teams, and them people go around shooting at each other, just becouase someone surports a differnt team to them.

It is this behavior that I say is childish, and to blame it on religion or politics is just an out for punkish, bullying behavior. It is this behavior that needs to be set aside on game day and let the better team win on that day. You will get another chance another day.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Football = passion, fierce loyalties, tribalism, entertaiment and common ground for many supporters. Of that, there is no doubt. But equating football to religion and politics based on the creation of ONE club in the Scottish league is the longest bow I've ever seen drawn.

If you want to treat it as your religion, that's fine by me..........but drawing parallels between the two for 'all and sundry' is as redundant as it is silly.

For many "football is a way of life"........for many, many more, it's nothing more than another ball game. For me, it's not even my preferred ball game........but I always enjoy the World Cup.

Now back to the game itself, what price Australia......surprised many on the upside 4 years ago......any chance of doing it again??
Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM
sufc.loyal

Quote:
Quote....Its the fans, that are the passionate ones, it is them that are Relgious, political, tribal etc... You only have to see how passioate the south american fans are about their teams, and them people go around shooting at each other, just becouase someone surports a differnt team to them.

It is this behavior that I say is childish, and to blame it on religion or politics is just an out for punkish, bullying behavior. It is this behavior that needs to be set aside on game day and let the better team win on that day. You will get another chance another day.

I quite agree, i take my three children with me to games, all under the age of 11 years old, the atmosphere is good, and they enjoy it, but when grown men start to swear out loud, and get violent, it makes them worried.

Yes that is very childish behaviour, and that really does have no place in football, espiscally where familys are sitting.

But at the same time, it is a fact of what football is in this country.

The section of crowd that are Childish manly sit in a certain part of the ground, i will sit at the complete opperstie end, but you will still get grown ups swearing their heads of, in front of their kids to.

I agree it is not very nice, and it is childish, but that is what the surporters bring to the game.

Not alot we can do about it, apart from not to turn up, but then surely the morans have won and decent people loose.

This years world cup, is going to be very interesting, i hope England do well after what i have posted in this thread.

3 Lions on your shirt.

Come on England.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 PM
sufc.loyal

Brasil v Ireland (Friendly).

Brasil 2-0 up

Ireland are playing well thou.

England v Eygpt tomorrow night.

Last edited by sufc.loyal; 03-02-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Pioneer Member

England-3 Egypt-1 good game
Old 03-05-2010, 05:16 PM
sufc.loyal

Hi yaa Beats.

You have gone a bit quite on this thread.

Yes it was a good game, thought we were in for some trouble when eygpt, three time winners of the Africans nations cup scoured first. But Crouchy, who has had his crtichs done well for us, and is only getting better.

We have a friendly against Mexico and Japan yet before kick in June..
Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 PM
sufc.loyal

Just some dates and times of the world cup fixtures.

Group C
12/06 20:30 Rustenburg England - USA
13/06 13:30 Polokwane Algeria - Slovenia
18/06 16:00 Johannesburg - JEP Slovenia - USA
18/06 20:30 Cape Town England - Algeria
23/06 16:00 Port Elizabeth Slovenia - England
23/06 16:00 Tshwane/Pretoria USA - Algeria

Group D
13/06 20:30 Durban Germany - Australia
3/06 16:00 Tshwane/Pretoria Serbia - Ghana
18/06 13:30 Port Elizabeth Germany - Serbia
19/06 16:00 Rustenburg Ghana - Australia
23/06 20:30 Johannesburg - JSC Ghana - Germany
23/06 20:30 Nelspruit Australia - Serbia
Old 05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

I'm certainly not thinking England are going to win. We won once, 44 years ago, against half a country. And that was before sky sports came along and basically killed off any romantic notion of the players being one with the fans, and the clubs being part of the communities. Now they're just big businesses who pay ridiculous amounts of money to people for playing just so they can get up in the "premier league" and get a load of people to buy insanely expensive season tickets and t-shirts to get more cash in their pocket. I actually bought a Germany shirt and y'know why? Because it was only £10 in TKMaxx compared to going into an "England" store and paying £50 for the same type of shirt built in indonesia by some peniless kid and then marked up by about 4000% of what it's actually worth. Plus i dunno if you've noticed this, but Germany's shirt has 3 stars on it, which is 3 times more than England. It's amazing how people from across the world think we have the best football in the world when in actual fact we're pretty much useless at it.

I think i am going to have to agree with GD here that it is quite sad how much people in this country "care" about football because none of the people at the top care and very few of the players do either. I think that if people really cared that much about football in this country they should ditch the carconegenic junk food and booze and get their arses down to a local pitch with some mates and make their own bloody football instead of sitting down at their 50" TV station and wasting their lives watching the crap on sky sports.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 05-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post

I think i am going to have to agree with GD here that it is quite sad how much people in this country "care" about football because none of the people at the top care and very few of the players do either. I think that if people really cared that much about football in this country they should ditch the carconegenic junk food and booze and get their arses down to a local pitch with some mates and make their own bloody football instead of sitting down at their 50" TV station and wasting their lives watching the crap on sky sports.
That's overly harsh. I've no doubt that all the players in the England squad have a passion to do well in the world cup. Undoubtedly the money they're on is ridiculous, but it's an industry built upon free market principles - supply and demand. The only way the wages can be sustained is if people turn up and pay the ticket prices. If the fans don't want to pay that much then they're free to boycott matches. If that was done on a national scale things would change. Unfortunately, football is a global industry, there will always be a league with the money to tempt the best players over. The big money keeps the top players in the domestic league.
Mismanagement is another problem altogether, as my local team Pompey found to their ruin. As many fans have said, it would seem a better state of affairs to have teams owned under fan cooperatives, never going to happen in the top flight though.
England to (quite rightly) make the semis, losing on penalties to one of the familiar foes ;)
Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM
sufc.loyal

oh yes. Pompy, now that is a proper club, real club, real fans, passioate club, now those fans do care about their club.

Been down there many years ago with SUFC.

Still, we also been relegated this season, down to League 2.

Went to last game of season on Saturday, still managed to fill 80% of the ground.

But yes. England Semi finals, loosing to penaltys, by shots going over the bar. as usuall
Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Rebel

Eddie,

You have spoken your mind plainly and honestly, I admire and respect that.
Also, I do have respect for the German (Deutsch) football team, they fight the game until the end and even if they are defeated, they march with pride and honour out of the pitch.

Cheers...........Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I'm certainly not thinking England are going to win. We won once, 44 years ago, against half a country. And that was before sky sports came along and basically killed off any romantic notion of the players being one with the fans, and the clubs being part of the communities. Now they're just big businesses who pay ridiculous amounts of money to people for playing just so they can get up in the "premier league" and get a load of people to buy insanely expensive season tickets and t-shirts to get more cash in their pocket. I actually bought a Germany shirt and y'know why? Because it was only £10 in TKMaxx compared to going into an "England" store and paying £50 for the same type of shirt built in indonesia by some peniless kid and then marked up by about 4000% of what it's actually worth. Plus i dunno if you've noticed this, but Germany's shirt has 3 stars on it, which is 3 times more than England. It's amazing how people from across the world think we have the best football in the world when in actual fact we're pretty much useless at it.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:56 PM
sufc.loyal

23 days to go.

Footballs coming home.

Millwall 2 - Huddersfield 1

Millwall through to the league one play offs at Wembly.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 PM
sufc.loyal

17 days to go.

England played a friendly tonight against a good mexican squad

England 3 Mexico 1

Mexico played a good game, but they were getting tired towards the end and were just hacking players down.

Come on June 12th.

Watch out Yanks. You will be playing the 2010 world champions.

Last edited by sufc.loyal; 05-26-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
but i'd rather burn the Union Jack.
Over stepping the mark here rendezvous_drummer

I why are you so hit up on becoming Irish!!!

Because it's fashionable???

Where you are Born is what you are, becoming an Irish Citizen doesn't mean you are suddenly 'Irish'

If a Dog is born in a stable it doesn't make it a Horse now does it??

Plus you are only 'half Irish' I believe from an earlier post............beat you on that mate, both my Parents are Irish..............I was born in England, does that make me Irish.............err No............can I get an Irish Passport...........err YES

But I have a British Passport

I live in Australia, am I now an Aussie...............err No........

Paint it how you want, born in Canada your Canadian........No doubt your Birth was registered there.......
Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 PM
sufc.loyal

This site has changed abit from where it 1st started, but i love it, i love the argumet.

Anyway 7 days left, till the opening game, and Englands, enentually Victory of the 2010 world cup, so long as it does not go to penaltys..
Old 06-09-2010, 11:37 PM
sufc.loyal

Only 3 days to go before England give the Yanks a spanking and a lesson in how to play proper football. LOL lots,
Old 06-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Administrator

How about we let them play the game before you get too big headed?? And speaking of spanking, where were you in 1776??
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 PM
sufc.loyal

Quote:
How about we let them play the game before you get too big headed?? And speaking of spanking, where were you in 1776??
Fair point, lets wait and see what Saturday brings, then i will whoop it up on this thread, when the English come stormin through.

As for 1776, not sure where i was,

But, for what you are on about, it was mainly Englishman and people from the Uk fighting their own kind or if not a generation removed, i think you yanks call it i.e. American/Irish or American/Itailen.
and then trying to get soliders across the atlantic in them days was not like climbing aboard your local cruise ship, and putting your feet up, untill you got there, it was a real matter of "thank gord i made it across alive", so sod this, the last thing i want to do now is go and fight, so instead i will go and build a house.

Last edited by sufc.loyal; 06-11-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Cant bloody spell.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Be sure to build it on a solid foundation. Pints on the loser.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Only 3 days to go before England give the Yanks a spanking and a lesson in how to play proper football. LOL lots,
Your gonna look like a total ass if England loses.