DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Default Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide Double Pedal Problem

Hi,

Recently my Iron Cobra has been playing up. The main, right pedal's motion is very jagged as it appears the chain catches and folds up, flinging the footboard up and down. I have tried tightening parts up, and experimenting with different tensions but nothing seems to solve the problem. Has anybody had this problem or knows how to fix it?

(Sorry if I haven't explained the problem very well, it's quite difficult to explain)

Cheers
Old 02-03-2010, 06:13 PM
audiotech

Default Re: Tama Iron Cobra Rolling Glide Double Pedal Problem

Sorry, buy I'm not quite sure what's going on by your description. I have a Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide double pedal for about two years and nothing like you explained happen to mine, yet. Really check it out. Does it do it when it's attached to the bass and also unattached? Have someone else press on the pedal and watch very closely to see if something is catching. Something could be loose or it just might need cleaned and oiled.

Dennis
Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 AM

It sounds like the chain may be clogged or starting to seize from not being oiled enough. just try re-oiling the chain and moving each separate part of the chain to see if it is starting to seize anywhere. some sewing machine oil will do the trick.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 PM

I'll try and explain it a bit more
When you push the footboard down the beater moves in a controlled, smooth motion to the batter head on the bass drum. When the beater is coming back, the chain folds up and releases, causing the footboard to move up and down at it's own accord. It makes a clicking noise and becomes very annoying when doing faster beats.
I've just done a little video to show what I mean, and hopefully makes abit more sense
I'll give any suggestion a go, as I really don't want to have to send it off for repair!

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 04022010(001).mp4 (1.09 MB, 274 views)
Old 02-05-2010, 08:39 AM

do you have the cobra coils?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Also have you tried making the footboard higher?, so that their is more chain on the cam? because it looks like there is alot of slack in the chain
Old 02-05-2010, 02:29 PM
audiotech

I really couldn't get a good look at the pedal just sitting their, but to me it looks as if the beater to head distance is too close. If this is the case the chain has no where to go except get very slack once the pressure of the pedal's foot board is released.This is because the beater is a more or less at a vertical angle and if it were farther away from the head, it would lean back a bit more then causing gravity to keep the slack out of the chain. I would increase the beater to head distance about an inch or two, this should help cure your problem.

Dennis

Last edited by audiotech; 02-05-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

Wow that's really not good at all. I use an Iron Cobra Power Glide now and the only time i have heard a similar sound is when i have had the beater adjusted so far back and have pressed it into the head, when it rebounds the beater has brought the footboard so far up that when it eventually falls it bounces on the chain. This looks to me like the same problem except it's doing it for every stroke. Providing some info might help. How is your spring tension? How far back is your beater? Do you have the cobra coil?

I must say though i think audio-tech has it spot on, try bringing the head further back and then loosening the tension to compensate for the longer stroke.

If the problems persist, then i would certainly take it back and ask them to replace it for you, if it is still under warranty then they should do it without question.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Ok here's all the detail I can give: Yes, I have the cobra coils, tensions are tight and the beater is about 8 inches from the bass drum.

I have had a play with the distance of the beater from the bass drum and found that moving it further back has made a difference to the motion, the chain isnt as slack as before. However, the pedal still clicks, which I can feel in the footboard. Do you think this is because it is not oiled enough, or that something in the cam needs to be tightened?

Thanks for all your help so far
Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieb298 View Post
Ok here's all the detail I can give: Yes, I have the cobra coils...
Seems like it's pushing the footboard up faster than the main spring is pulling the beater back. Try removing or loosening the Coils.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Seems like it's pushing the footboard up faster than the main spring is pulling the beater back. Try removing or loosening the Coils.
Just removed it from the master pedal, and it hasn't made a difference to the clicking and the feel of the footboard. Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless
Old 02-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattieb298 View Post
I'll try and explain it a bit more
When you push the footboard down the beater moves in a controlled, smooth motion to the batter head on the bass drum. When the beater is coming back, the chain folds up and releases, causing the footboard to move up and down at it's own accord. It makes a clicking noise and becomes very annoying when doing faster beats.
I've just done a little video to show what I mean, and hopefully makes abit more sense
I'll give any suggestion a go, as I really don't want to have to send it off for repair!

Cheers

That's normal pedal action with the spring tension you have going, it is possible to get any chain drive pedal to do this.

You shouldn't be getting this action with your foot on the board, the faster the action, the closer your foot hugs the board. Unless you normally play the pedal with your hands (like in the clip), this action shouldn't be a problem.

Post a clip while playing with your foot, like you normally would, let us see what action is happening there.