DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Pick Withers

For those who don't no who I'm talking about he was the original drummer for the rock band Dire Straits and played on their first four albums, which included hit singles such as "Sultans of Swing," & "Romeo and Juliet"

What do you guys think of him I really like Withers's style it was really blues-based and I love his Drumming on Sultans of Swing there first album would have to be one of my greatest albums ever.

What do you guys think of him?

Last edited by Ashton Drum's; 07-26-2006 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Pick Withers

He's definitely one of my favorite drummers. He is so smooth. He has a fantastic touch on the cymbals and his drum sound is also what I'd like mine to sound like. The first 2 albums are my favorite Straits albums, but the next 2 are great as well. Straits just wasn't the same without him, in my humble opinion. Withers also played on Bob Dylan's "Slow Train Coming" record along with Mark Knopfler and they sound awesome.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:38 AM
Gold Member

very under rated, over looked, great drummer.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Pioneer Member

Had no idea he played on Bob Dylan's "Slow Train Coming" Im gonna have to check that out
Old 09-11-2006, 07:51 PM

Hes an amazing drummer, and whenever i listen to him, everything seems to flow like cream, his style is solid and smooth. Shame we havn't got a page for him here, hes inspired so many people.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Oh yeah on the Dire Straits On the Night DVD its not Pick Withers on the drums its Chris Whitten I always thought it was him until I brought the dvd and then I found out it wasen't him
Old 09-13-2006, 02:11 AM

He also played with early-'70s band Spring.They only released one album, but it's worth it for fans of Withers' playing.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:52 PM

awesome drummer..
i just found this clip with him from youtube.com
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hDpMqKSrr7Y

if link doesnt work searc for "dire straits money" look for the version from wembley arena

dire straits plays, what i think, is the best version of money for nothing.

does anyone know what sixe, brand and cymbals he used? his kit looks awesome..

like those big drums :)
Old 09-20-2006, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernal drummer
awesome drummer..

if link doesnt work searc for "dire straits money" look for the version from wembley arena

dire straits plays, what i think, is the best version of money for nothing.

does anyone know what sixe, brand and cymbals he used? his kit looks awesome..

like those big drums :)
Pick left just before the love over gold, Im pretty sure thats terry williams in the vidio, but its defo not pick. I love dire straits got all there albums, and have to say that after pick left they changed dramatically. I loved picks style and the way his drum parts flowed. He never sounded out of control. He knew how, when and where to place notes to get the perfect sound.

Also Ruok I was thinking of gettin that dylan album is it any good?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernal drummer
awesome drummer..
Sorry dude but thats Not Pick this is Pick

Down to the waterline
Old 09-21-2006, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzo49
Musically, I think it is excellent. It's probably one of the most pleasing music I've ever heard come from a Dylan record. All the instruments sound beautiful to me. One of the producers of the album was Barry Becket and he also played the keyboards for the recording. And I can honestly say that the keyboard sound is probably my favorite keyboard recording of all time. Not to mention how great Withers drum and cymbal sound is. And Mark Knopfler's lead guitar sounds just like you would expect....great. Personally, I love and enjoy every song on the disc. But, that's just me.

Many people didn't care for "Slow Train's" lyrics because it was when Dylan was going through his "born again Christian" phase. So, if Christian lyrics bother you, then you may not enjoy the CD.

Slow Train Coming has an overall mellow and smooth feel musically that I really get into. Some of the tunes from Slow Train were eventually re-recorded with Dylan and the guys from the Grateful Dead on the CD called "Dylan and the Dead." Which I really like as well, only not as much as the original versions.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Pick left just before the love over gold, Im pretty sure thats terry williams in the vidio, but its defo not pick. I love dire straits got all there albums, and have to say that after pick left they changed dramatically. I loved picks style and the way his drum parts flowed. He never sounded out of control. He knew how, when and where to place notes to get the perfect sound.

ahh.. well .. thats just adds another drummer on my fav list :)

okay.. anywho.. my questions still stands :)

Quote:

Quote:

Old 09-21-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:

Old 09-22-2006, 11:59 AM

plz delete three of the above.. thank you :)
Old 09-23-2006, 12:31 AM

I don't have any info on Terry Williams drums and cymbals except I've heard he was a Paiste player.

For those interested....Pick Withers used Eddie Ryan Drums if I remember right and he played and endorsed Paiste cymbals during his Dire Straits years. I've heard by rumour that he used mostly, if not all, 2002 cymbals on the early Straits albums and by 1982s
"Love over Gold" he had more of a combination of 2oo2s and Paiste Sound Creations as described in the Paiste Profile book.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:37 AM

Why isnt he on the Paiste site? I cant find him on the aritist listings page ... is there another page? Or something? Oh and sorry for bringing up an old topic too, if it bothers anyone... :)
Old 06-09-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl Dizz View Post
Why isnt he on the Paiste site? I cant find him on the aritist listings page ... is there another page? Or something? Oh and sorry for bringing up an old topic too, if it bothers anyone... :)
I know. I have a hard time finding any meaningful info on him at all, anywhere. I'm thinking that maybe he doesn't endorse Paiste cymbals anymore. But I could be wrong. I've seen his name a few years ago in some 2oo2 Paiste ads though. He really seemed to have dropped out of the limelight after leaving Straits, which was 25 years ago. Wow! Time flies!
Old 05-10-2008, 03:31 PM

For those interested in seeing/hearing what Pick was doing as late as a year ago, go to Youtube and search for "Pauline Black" and/or "Blue Jazz Trio". There are some video clips of Pauline Black and the Blue Jazz Trio that were recorded a little over a year ago with Pick as the Trio's drummer. Youtube also has many clips of early Dire Straits featuring Pick. One discovery was "Eastbound Train" - I had never even heard it before.

Pick is at the top of my list of favorite drummers and as someone else has said, Dire Straits was just not the same after he left. I especially liked his playing on "Water of Love". It is good to see that he is still playing.

Jim
Old 05-10-2008, 03:45 PM

What I heard of PW's drumming seemed ok to me, but it seemed a strange time to quit the band(D Sts)as they were high & still on the way up.
Did he have a boot mark on his butt or was it his choice?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:52 PM

He left D/S on his own accord. From what I understand he wanted to pursue playing jazz, and more importantly spend more time with his family.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:09 AM

I love his cymbal sound, especially on the song "Sultans of Swing". Anyone know the specs of his cymbals on the first Straits album?
Old 05-17-2008, 02:33 AM

I believe he was already using Paiste cymbals at that time. Couldn't tell you what models though.

Last edited by Jim G; 05-25-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixman View Post
...whenever i listen to him, everything seems to flow like cream, his style is solid and smooth...
Man, you just found the words to a feeling I couldn't express. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 PM

One of my favourites and inspiration. Yes Dire Straits changed dramatically after Pick Left. I dont know howmany times I listened to "One up on a time in the west", excellent Drumming from start to finish with changing the snare patterns, thats what I want to see in songs other than the same old time keeping, Pick's style is not flashy with 20 plus Toms and 30 plus Cymbals which inspires me tremendously and the chops are way complicated for me to copy!
The drum sound in "Communique" is awsome!

If you havent, check out Terry Williams playing in "Alchemy Live" during Once up on a time in the west song, I dig that drum sound as well.

Here is Pick in the middle with his old band Primitives!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2009, 01:38 PM

Hi,
Did you get my reply on private messages?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Insane View Post
I love his cymbal sound, especially on the song "Sultans of Swing". Anyone know the specs of his cymbals on the first Straits album?
Hi,

This is Pick's wife here. He tells me that he used Paiste 60 series cymbals on the first DS album, with 14 inch hi-hats.

He is starting his own website in the New Year. If you are interested in seeing him play, he is touring with the Gary Fletcer Band - dates on Gary's website of same name.

All best
Old 12-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal View Post
What I heard of PW's drumming seemed ok to me, but it seemed a strange time to quit the band(D Sts)as they were high & still on the way up.
Did he have a boot mark on his butt or was it his choice?
Hi,

Pick left DS to pursue jazz and to be with his family - I am his wife so I should know! He was unhappy in the band towards the end and has only ever played for love and would leave any project if it became unenjoyable for him in a musical sense. He has never been motivated by money or fame - he's a true artist and master of his craft.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 PM

Well, he's a damn good drummer. I thought Dire Straits went into the toilet when he left the group. The drummers after pick just sound so vanilla. I think Knofler hates drummers.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Hi all, as you can see I'm new.
I've just a question what is the snare drum (size - depth - material) he uses with the dire straits? I'm becoming mad to achieve that sound...

Actually I'm playing in a DS and MK tribute band, I'm already addicted to paiste and reading about his cymbal set-up has threw me in a worldwide scale "60 series" searching :D but I miss the snare setup and also like the "pss pss" of the hi-hat in sultans of swing the snare drum sound change the song from a good song to a great performance.
I've a 14 x 5 hand-crafted maple snare with hazy300 and a G1 but I think a 14 x 6,5 steel is better for my purpose... or not?

Bye all
Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowStig View Post
Hi all, as you can see I'm new.
I've just a question what is the snare drum (size - depth - material) he uses with the dire straits? I'm becoming mad to achieve that sound...
Im guessing its an Eddie Ryan snare drum as he used Eddie Ryan drums with Dire Straits not sure on the size - depth - material but this guy http://www.youtube.com/user/looping800#p/u has a lot of high definition hour long Dire Straits concerts on Youtube with Pick on drums if that helps

Last edited by Ashton Drum's; 02-02-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Pioneer Member

This video has good shots of Pick at 17:00 mins is sultans of swing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDzzGXk-hg4
Old 02-02-2010, 12:48 PM

Oh tnx! this video is unknown to me and it enlightened me, around 17.20 when he goes to the ride it continues to chick the hi-hat and along whole song it stops the stick over the snare and, I've tried now, it produces that stopped sound letting vibrate the snare wire.
Yesterday I've recorded a demo using a 14x6,5 DW snare drum with a puresound wire and a loose batter head and the sound is much closer to the Pick's sound.

I think that will be my way when I must choose my new snare drum... when I Play DS, for other purposes I've other 2 snares, also he could used something like this
http://www.eddieryancustomdrums.co.u...6%20Snare3.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton Drum's View Post
This video has good shots of Pick at 17:00 mins is sultans of swing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDzzGXk-hg4
Here there's a nice interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwQ8nLnk7as#t=8m24s

Last edited by SlowStig; 02-03-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:11 PM

Here is the link for a recent inteview with Pick:

http://www.adcdrums.co.uk/news.asp

Jim
Old 05-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Love Picks feel for the song.He inspired me with the way he hits the balance between keeping it simple but not being afraid to get busy when it works.
I have to confess I owe him some credit for the style I play with today in my band armchairpilots.
Sadly living in Galway on the west coast of Ireland I never got to see him play live.
Of course there are many others I love e.g. Brian Downey,Reni,Charlie Watts .
The beat goes on .
Thanks Pick for the inspiration.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpilot View Post
Love Picks feel for the song.He inspired me with the way he hits the balance between keeping it simple but not being afraid to get busy when it works.
I have to confess I owe him some credit for the style I play with today in my band armchairpilots.
Sadly living in Galway on the west coast of Ireland I never got to see him play live.
Of course there are many others I love e.g. Brian Downey,Reni,Charlie Watts .
The beat goes on .
Thanks Pick for the inspiration.
Hey Jpilot, good call mentioning Reni, another incredible drummer, very underrated, there seem to be many many rumours of what happened to him after the Stone Roses packed it in.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithers View Post
This is Pick's wife here. He tells me that he used Paiste 60 series cymbals on the first DS album, with 14 inch hi-hats.
I'm assuming this means Formula 602 cymbals. There were no "60" series cymbals by Paiste, as far as I know. I've been dying to know the exact hi-hats (sound-edge, medium or heavy, or possibly a mixed set?) he used on that album.

Here's his website ... http://www.pickwithers.co.uk/ which gives an email address to contact him.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNY View Post
Hey Jpilot, good call mentioning Reni, another incredible drummer, very underrated, there seem to be many many rumours of what happened to him after the Stone Roses packed it in.
Howdy,according to an Ian Brown interview interview in Uncut magazine a few years ago.....(you had better sit down to take the shock out of this) Reni walked away from the Roses ,but he later gave permission for Brown to use some drum loops he recorded on Browns debut called unfinished monkey business.In my opinion the loops were decent but let down by the recording quality that was very 4-track cassette based.Brown and Mani hinted that Reni did not play drums much for a couple of years after a loss of confidence in his playing after seeing a young kid in New York that blew him away.Brown felt Reni was the best drummer of his generation and almost as good on guitar.After 2005 he did a short tour under the name The Rub I think it was called,a band playing original material that he sang and played guitar on,I think it lasted a year without much success as far as I know
.Bass player Mani has been saying he would love to hear Reni back on drums anytime,he was so good would draw enough people to fill an arena gig just on his own playing drums.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

JPilot thanks for the info, deflating as it it may be, hopefully he'll pick up his sticks again one day.

Take care