DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Evans question- quickly! [gig tonight]

So, I'm replacing stock resos with G1's, and noticed while looking through the 1st drum to the batter side, it says "Genera g1"... On the back of the box and on the website, they only list G1 and "Genera resonant". Nothing that says "Genera g1". Can anyone explain? Did I put a resonant head on the batter side, or is it a g1 and they used to say "Genera g1" but now just say "g1"? I only have the box for the 14" from the last time I changed tom heads- it clearly says "G1 Clear TT14G1 on the box" and "Genera g1" on the head, just as the ones I just pulled out of the box just have "g1" on the head, but the model # on the box is the same save for the number representing the head size...?!?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Evans question- quickly! [gig tonight]

I believe the G1 is a Genera.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quick! Fast! Here's the answer!

Same thing. G1 = Genera 1 = Genera G1.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Ok, thanks guys. I hadn't been getting a good tone out of my 10 & 12 toms lately, so i replaced the stock Mapex/Remo UT reso heads, which don't sound terrible, but they're about 4 years old. I'm gonna keep 'em for emergency heads. [They have "UT BD Head" on them, whatever that means- I guess the D means diplomat 'cause they're thinner than an older one that has "UT BA" on it- ambassador?] The toms already sound better with G1s top & bottom. I also just noticed the box that the 10" "G1" head was in looks different/newer than the one that contained the 12", which I noticed after my orig. post also has "Genera g1" on the head. I guess they removed the word "Genera" from it to reduce confusion.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Follow-up - sweetness from the toms at the gig. Most excellent. :) I have a set of G Plus heads for them- kinda halfway bought them in case replacing those resos didn't do the trick. I think I'll experiment with the 14" tom, putting the G Plus on the batter & reso side and see what I like best. Larryace raves about the G Plus as reso, but I don't know if I want the amount of ring he gets...! I dig sustain, but but not overkill... Any testimonies for G Plus as a batter, other than Larryace's which I read in another thread?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Quick! Fast! Here's the answer!

Same thing. G1 = Genera 1 = Genera G1.
Thanks for that answer! And thanks for asking, timmdrum! I've been confused on that one for the longest myself (usually use Remo...).
Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
Ok, thanks guys. I hadn't been getting a good tone out of my 10 & 12 toms lately, so i replaced the stock Mapex/Remo UT reso heads, which don't sound terrible, but they're about 4 years old. I'm gonna keep 'em for emergency heads. [They have "UT BD Head" on them, whatever that means- I guess the D means diplomat 'cause they're thinner than an older one that has "UT BA" on it- ambassador?] The toms already sound better with G1s top & bottom. I also just noticed the box that the 10" "G1" head was in looks different/newer than the one that contained the 12", which I noticed after my orig. post also has "Genera g1" on the head. I guess they removed the word "Genera" from it to reduce confusion.

If they are 4 years old they are done and really not worth saving. You replaced them for a reason so why keep them. I've never felt a need to keep backup tom heads on hand as I've never broken a head.

Glad the G1's worked out for you and sounded good!
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

I've only ever broken a snare head a couple of times, and they needed replacing anyway... You never know what could happen, though. Projectile, some neanderthal sits at the kit while I'm in the bathroom, transport accident, etc.