DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-22-2010, 11:27 PM

Default Question Regarding Ear Molds for In Ear Monitors

Whats up everyone?

My band is investing in a full in ear monitor system. We are going top of the line on all the pieces so i want to make sure my personal equipment is on the same level for the performance that i want.

Basically, the guitarists and vocalists have been researching the best ear buds and molds (we are all going to audiologist to get actually molds of our ear cavity as well) that will work for them but i feel that i might have a different sound that i want in my isolation. While they need clean vocals and guitars, i want the drums to be crisp and as close to their actual sound as possible. At the same time, i was the guitars and vocals to sound clear and bright.

I was just wondering if any other drummers out there had any suggestions on the best ear buds and molds for the sounds that i am going for. I could always just follow the other memeber of the band, but what fun is that :)

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Question Regarding Ear Molds for In Ear Monitors

What you are looking for is more controlled by the mix the sound engineer sends you than the ear buds themselves. So it might be dependent on if he can send each of you an individual mix. You'll essentially get the same thing in your in ears as you got in your floor wedge monitor. Also make sure that the person you work with running sound has experience using in ears. If not find someone else. The pressure levels with in ears can spike quickly and do damage to your ears so it's important to make sure they are experienced with them.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Furthermore, so a bit of research into the drivers used in your in-ears. Although this is far less critical than the engineer's experience, certain drivers might have better characteristics for you than others.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
What you are looking for is more controlled by the mix the sound engineer sends you than the ear buds themselves. So it might be dependent on if he can send each of you an individual mix. You'll essentially get the same thing in your in ears as you got in your floor wedge monitor. Also make sure that the person you work with running sound has experience using in ears. If not find someone else. The pressure levels with in ears can spike quickly and do damage to your ears so it's important to make sure they are experienced with them.
Thanks for the response konaboy. We are actually purchasing a full system to include a digital sterio mixer that we will take with us to any gigs whether we run our own sound or use house sound. This way we can spend the time get our exact mixes and then we just plug in and play. The sound guy will not be responsible for our monitor mixes at all. So basically all i am looking for are ear buds that can handle the mix i am looking for which is some really good low end for kick drum and bass guitar while still being clean and crisp enough to allow the guitars and vocals to cut through just enough in my mix. So far i am thinking of just following the lead of the rest of the band because they are getting the top of line stuff along with the rest of the system but i didnt know if there were buds that were specifically better for drummers/this type of mix.

Thanks again,
Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Pioneer Member

LIke MFB above said some research into different ones will help. I know Shure makes some nice ones. Might also be worth talking to your audiologist about it as I would bet he's got some experience with them.