DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 PM

Default Differences between standard & die cast hoops?

What are the differences between standard hoops and die cast hoops?
Do they have tuning, resonance, sounding differences?
Why die cast hoops are more expensive than standard ones?
What is the best choice?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Differences between standard & die cast hoops?

well one thing i will say... theres no real reason for them to cost more. Its a simpler manufacturing process to die cast something, than it is to bend, shape and mould a hoop of metal.

There are however, quite a number of posts on this forum already about the merits of die cast hoops, and im sure if you type "cast hoops" into the search box at the top, you'll get hundreds of suitable answers. I know i did
Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrink View Post
well one thing i will say... theres no real reason for them to cost more. Its a simpler manufacturing process to die cast something, than it is to bend, shape and mould a hoop of metal.

There are however, quite a number of posts on this forum already about the merits of die cast hoops, and im sure if you type "cast hoops" into the search box at the top, you'll get hundreds of suitable answers. I know i did
Die cast is the opposite of wood hoops: aggressive, loud and bright. Bent metal is somewhere inbetween. I didn't like die cast at all.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

I've had both and don't really notice a difference in sound. Die-cast are easier to tune up, for sure...and I think they might stay tuned longer. However, they're heavy and will add a lot of weight to your drums.

I prefer triple-flanged for that reason alone - weight reduction.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 PM

So, is standard hoops are better on a jazz kit (12", 14", 18") or die cast ones? Personally, I would go with the standard hoops, but tell me if there is an exception.
I'm asking this because I must know the answer before configuring a new custom-made jazz drum set.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 PM

if anything i'd prefer diecast hoops for a jazz kit. They will tune up nicer, and give you a better fundamental note. They are also fab for rimshots.

IMHO diecast hoops are better in almost all instances.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 PM

My snare with bent hoops sounds great. The one with die cast hoops I can't tune to sound well.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:41 AM

I think it's a fair statement that different equipment will cater to different tastes (as it happens with everything in the music world). The only equipment I've played with dc hoops on a regular basis are snare drums. I have three snares and they all have dc hoops. I'm a rimshot guy, and I play hard rock/metal, so it suits me just fine. Tuning is simpler, since dc's are harder to bend out of flat. The added weight will also dampen the drum some, taking out some of the nasty overtones.

I've played two that had dc's on the toms. Both sounded glorious, but they were high end (Starclassic Maple and Gretsch USA Custom), so rims alone cannot be held accountable for the sound. The new Tama Superstars have die-casts and sound quite nice. MUCH nicer than any of the other Tama budget lines in recent memory. at least... Many factors may be coming into play here as well.

Regarding price, manufacturing costs may be less, but dc's have much more metal than the bent counterparts, so it still makes sense to me that they should be pricier.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

I prefer the steel triple flange hoops personally. When playing rimshots die cast hoops are rigid and unforgiving comparatively. Since I play a lot of stuff where I'm not swinging for the fence I like the flex and softer feel that steel gives me, it makes for a much more consistent snare sound which is especially hard at lower dynamics and important when recording. I actually just changed out all of my 2.3mm snare batter hoops for the thinner 1.8mm ones to get even more of a softer feel. I love the chincy hoops!
billbachman.net
Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

There probably isn't a more jazzy kit than Gretsch and they've always used die cast on everything as far as I know - I've seen round badge's with die cast on them, so I assume they've always been part of the Gretsch sound.

I don't know how much die cast hoops impact the sound on toms, but they definitely have an impact on snares. I picked up a Ludwig Supra a while back (LM402) that came with the standard hoops that are something less than 2.3 mm (1.6mm?), and I really didn't like them. They were too soft. If it wasn't a rimshot, there wasn't much punch. I have a few snare drums laying around and was able to put 2.3mm hoops and die cast hoops on that drum to figure out what I liked best.

I didn't like that the die cast hoop rimshots were so harsh sounding, although I loved how beefy if felt just hitting dead-center.

The 2.3s were a big improvement over the 1.6s for dead-center hits and the rimshots weren't harsh.

I ended up replacing the stock 1.6s with 2.3 mmS-Hoops which are supposed to be the best of both worlds (2.3s and die cast) and are "stick saver" style. They feel nice to play on and I like my snare sound quite a bit now.

I think I read that Gavin Harrison uses them on his tom batter sides.
Closed Thread