DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-12-2010, 03:57 AM

Default after x- mas work

some of you may have seen my x-mas sneak peak thread of the drum set and pedals i had gotten for jennifer . well after many hours of disassembly and cleaning here are the results ! every drum and stand started out looking like the one on the left in the first pic .
now that i've got all that work done its time to settle on what type of wood to recover them in .
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 AM

Default Re: after x- mas work

and here is a before and after on the pedals . oh and one of the set before she got it for x-mas .
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 AM
Platinum Member

Excellent job mate......what was the process? The kit looks brand new! What did you use to clean all the hardware?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Excellent job mate......what was the process? The kit looks brand new! What did you use to clean all the hardware?
are you ready for the screams of horror ! weapon of choice for the chrome hardware was .........steel wool !
i used 0000 grit and it did not put a single scratch on any chrome . this was a throwback from my car restoration days . unless you use massive down pressure it will not scratch and cleans the best out of everything i've tried , but it needs to be 0000 . after the wool somethings got a session with a product named "never dull" to which everything got a nice coat of automotive wax . the shells got a good scrubing with soapy water ( just a damp cloth ) and a coat of wax . so far i have figured i have over 50 hours into just the cleaning and still have a few stands to do .
h.t.h.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

hi!

I followed your advice and now my hardware looks brand new!!!

I'd like to have some infromation about what you done to the pedals , they look brand new .
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENRICO View Post
hi!

I followed your advice and now my hardware looks brand new!!!

I'd like to have some infromation about what you done to the pedals , they look brand new .
Yes, please tell us how to let our Elims look brand new!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Big_Philly

She's a beauty! Nice kit too...
Kidding aside, great work! It really looks like a new kit. I'm not very knowledgeable about Pearl... is a session series comparable to an export series, or to the vision series, or even higher up in the food chain? And how do these sound?
Old 01-16-2010, 04:26 AM

thanks everyone . enrico glad you found it useful ! nothing like shiney chrome ! as far as the pedals go i took them pretty much all apart and did a good cleaning and oiling . but i'm sure most are interested in how to get the footboard looking new , so heres what i did - first clean them with a wool pad to get off as much of the dirt you can . next if the black paint is worn use black semi gloss ( if you want to match the original color ) and spray that area . * side note - i did tape off the upper portion of the foot board as not to get paint everywhere on the foot board . after the piant dries i used a hard rubber sanding block with 150 grit sand paper and used one way strokes the length of the pedal . i had to replace the paper a couple of times when i did each board because the aluminum takes the grit out of the paper pretty quick and you want it to give you that brushed look . you want to keep the paper tight and the block flat as to not remove the painted areas . as for the little removable traction plates , those were beadblasted and powder coated with black texture ( wrinkle finish ) .
hth

Last edited by gwaco; 01-16-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
She's a beauty! Nice kit too...
Kidding aside, great work! It really looks like a new kit. I'm not very knowledgeable about Pearl... is a session series comparable to an export series, or to the vision series, or even higher up in the food chain? And how do these sound?
i think the early years of the sessions were stripped ( lesser hardware ) versions of the master kit . they used the same shells but had alot less options than the masters . the earlier sessions kit used 20 lug bass drums same as masters but later kits used 16 .
so before they were discontinued i would say the early kits = stripped masters , the later kits = vision .
as far as sound , its the only set jennifer wants to use now ! i found them very easy to tune , really good projection with a very tight sound .
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 AM

well i finally have finished up with all the cleaning , time to give the hands a rest ! but one thing that came as a very nice surprise was the snare . i had pretty much written it off as parts , but having run out of things to clean (l.o.l.) i thought i might as well do something with it and here is the result ! i wasn't able to get every little pit out or every little rust spot off , but i reused everything that was on the drum except the head .
also i have included a couple of better pics of the pedals . i still need to get two replacement screws for the toe plates .
also i finally decided on what to do about recovering them and decided to go with leopardwood venner . should be here soon along with the 8" sessions drum i purchased . so really the work has just started !
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Fantastic! An excellent job bringing that run down kit back to life! It looks brand new!