DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-03-2009, 10:37 PM

Default Steve Judd

I didn't see a thread here for Steve Judd, so sorry if it is a repeat but I don't think it is.
Anyways, Steve Judd is the drummer for an Australian band called Karnivool. They are progressive rock/metal and some say they have a tool-ish sound to them. The whole band is amazing, but the vocals and drums really stick out to me.

Steve Judd is very proficient at playing in odd times and the use of polyrhythm. He also knows how to get his groove on and just make it feel good. He also can combine feels to give a very unique rhythmic feel to a song (Umbra, for example).

Well I am curious to see if anyone else has heard Steve's drumming
Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 AM

Default Re: Steve Judd

Nobody has heard this man's drumming? Really, you guys should check it out.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:24 AM

I totally saw karnivool last weekend in auckland, such an amazing band, but i'd hered about steve through his older band hope here gone ' http://www.myspace.com/hhg '. he is a sick drummer. i rate him
Old 09-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

I know the Karnivool guys, and can tell you first hand that Drew has done a lot of the drum work on previous songs, and needs kudos also.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Silver Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but Steve wasn't in the band until after Themata was recorded?

His playing on Sound Awake is mind blowing though. As technical as it all my be, it still has great groove.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:10 AM

Yeah, Drew Goddard (the lead guitarist) recorded all of the drums for Themata and Steve did all the drums on Sound Awake. There should be a Drew Goddard thread too because he is amazing! I was kind of disheartened when I learned that Karnivool's GUITARIST was a better drummer than me. Steve Judd is much better though, the drums on Sound Awake are phenomenal.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Karnivool are amazing, I cannot stop listening to them. the drumming on everything I've heard so far is absolutely top notch (feel, groove, power, precision OH MAN!)

It's also hilarious that they have both a guitarist and a drummer with such a profoundlt tasteful take on drumming.

GROOOOOOOOOOVE!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Bump! I'm just hoping that by now more people have heard of Karnivool and Steve Judd. I think we should start transcribing his stuff.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andSometimesY View Post
Yeah, Drew Goddard (the lead guitarist) recorded all of the drums for Themata and Steve did all the drums on Sound Awake. There should be a Drew Goddard thread too because he is amazing! I was kind of disheartened when I learned that Karnivool's GUITARIST was a better drummer than me. Steve Judd is much better though, the drums on Sound Awake are phenomenal.

Just remember though that Drew is a drummer that plays guitar - don't be too hard on yourself!

But also worth noting that Themata was a studio album, unto which alot of the drums were programmed in Protools i believe. Then Steve joined the band to tour with them, and had to learn all of the parts lol

Even looking at the Shutterspeed film clip, you can see Forry (forrester savell - album producer) pretending to play drums instead of steve!
Old 01-18-2010, 04:03 AM

Mr Savell can be seen in the Themata vid. Looks like Steve in the Shutterspeed one.

Tasty work all round on Sound Awake and they sound just as good live.

See you at RTB bigchris!
Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einnor View Post
Mr Savell can be seen in the Themata vid. Looks like Steve in the Shutterspeed one.

See you at RTB bigchris!
Hang on...it aint Forry in Themata either. Must be Steve's predecessor. Either way, they still rock.

And if someone can tab "Goliath" for me, I'd be very thankful
Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:

See you at RTB bigchris!

Yeah it's def Forry. Why will I be seeing you at RTB? Which band are you in?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM

yes lad, we start as you finish
Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hang on...it aint Forry in Themata either. Must be Steve's predecessor. Either way, they still rock.

And if someone can tab "Goliath" for me, I'd be very thankful
Basically the whole song is based around a two bar phrase of 6/8 and 8/8. The hihat is playing all the even notes (2, 4, 6, 2 ,4, 6, 8 etc...) so it has this 4/4 feel to it. There is the odd phrase now and then that has two bars of 6 in it, pretty easy to feel though.
Code:
  1 2 3 4 5 6 | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
h - x - x - x | - x - o - x - x 
s - - - o - - | - - - - - o - - 
b o - o - - - | o - o o - - - -
That's the basic rhythm, there's some variations every now and again but it's all pretty easy to figure out.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:27 AM

Much karnivool love, incredibly tight live band.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 AM

Steve Judd is such an incredible drummer... I saw Karnivool live last night in Sydney and at the end of the show, he threw his drumsticks out into the crowd and one of them literally BRUSHED past my left hand and then my friend caught it. How disappointing.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Code:
  1 2 3 4 5 6 | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
h - x - x - x | - x - o - x - x 
s - - - o - - | - - - - - o - - 
b o - o - - - | o - o o - - - -
That's the basic rhythm, there's some variations every now and again but it's all pretty easy to figure out.

I'd have to disagree with you on that. The song is actually 3 bars of 7/8 then one of 6/8.

Try counting it like this over 16th notes.

again twice, and then

then to the top.

Also, he is doing eighth notes on the hihat but accenting the quarter notes. On top of that he is doing ghost notes on every other 16th note on the snare.

It's quite but if you really pay attention, you can hear it. Not as much on the album as you can of like a video of them live, or better yet, live.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Gold Member

hey guys

mosh cam uploaded a gig of karnivool's that they played in winter 2009! (i hope everyone who is in sydney here went to this gig!)

http://www.moshcam.com/karnivool/metro-theatre-604.aspx

just incase you guys didn't know!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:59 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
hey guys

mosh cam uploaded a gig of karnivool's that they played in winter 2009! (i hope everyone who is in sydney here went to this gig!)

http://www.moshcam.com/karnivool/metro-theatre-604.aspx

just incase you guys didn't know!

I love you for this, you are a wonderful human being. hahahaha NICE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadmonkey View Post
I love you for this, you are a wonderful human being. hahahaha NICE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah.

i went to that gig, found out it was being recorded. 1 month after the gig i was so annoyed that it wasn't uplaoded so i emailed them and harressed. took them SO long to get it uploaded - stupid copyright shit :P

i actually spotted myself a few times from that angle.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:00 PM

You were there? Lucky! Karnivool is such an awesome and under-appreciated band. Steve Judd's drumming (and Drew's on Themata) is some of the most creatively awesome drumming I have ever heard and I would love to see some more love for them on DW.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM

first of all, kudos to the threadstarter for bringing forward Steve Judd's from awesome oz band Karnivool. I was quite frustrated at times (lol) about drummers who dont know who the hell is Steve Judd.. I love caudal lure from sound awake album.. how he manipulate 4/4 into the song's groove.. its quite applausable. Dont you agree? :D
Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 AM

Of course!! The Caudal Lure has one of the coolest grooves that I have heard in a while. I learned it not too long ago but I can't make it feel quite as good as Steve can. It is mostly in 4/4 but one complete cycle of the groove squeezes two measures of 3/4 in there. Here's to hoping we get a new Karnivool album in 2012!!!

P.S. Does anybody know if Steve has any side-projects or anything? I'd like to hear his playing in another context.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 PM

digging up an old thread, steve is a great drummer as is drew! as for side projects i know he was previously in a band called hope here gone (http://www.myspace.com/hhg) i caught a few of their shows before they broke up a few years ago
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 AM

Just an update on Steve's work in Karnivool. They are almost finished recording their third album so it should be released within the next few months! Below is a link to a video of them playing one of the new songs from the album. This was like six months ago so I wouldn't be surprised if the song has changed a lot since then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U10Nf673fe8
Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM

BUMP! Steve Judd deserves alot more love.

Jon Stockman & Steve Judd grooving 'Goliath'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9MThuloAUw

Steve grooving the ending of 'Change'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7-upSVMVls

Be sure to check out their albums called Themata and Sound Awake.
There is also a new album coming out in August, called Asymmetry. Enjoy!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Got to see Karnivool for the 5th time I think, about a month back, and this was actually the first time I'd seen them at an inside venue, and holy shit, Steve had some sort of trigger on his bass drum that made the whole room rumble, I felt like I was being punched in the balls.... but I liked it.

Other than that, Steve's kit sounded incredible, especially, his stack. I've been a fan of this trashy sound for a long time and I'm now in the position of cymbal purchase, went down to the drum store today, played around with a couple of stacks, best one I got was stacking a Kahzan 14" China inside a Kahzan 16" China, I feel the 'cheaper' brands tend to have a trashier sound and more to what I'm after.

I was having a look at some closer pics of Steve's kit and didn't notice any immediate stamps/badges, does anybody have ANY idea what he's actually using for his stack?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

I'm amazed that they can write what they write.. To me they're the ultimate progressive band. I knew Drew recorded drums for Themata but didn't know he was primarily a drummer. I'm sure having a drummer writing guitar riffs has made this band what it is.

And of course I love Steve Judd and his sound.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Steve is one of the grooviest, most fluid drummers I know.

Anyways, for the stack- I'm going to guess 20-22" china, 18-20" crash, 12-14" splash. If you're going for new stuff, Wuhans (or the like) would probably make a good set, or maybe a Byzance Traditional China, Byzance Vintage Trash/K EFX, and an AAX Aero splash or Classics Custom Trash Splash. Honestly, I'd probably use less stuff, since we have no idea what that stack sounded like before EQ, processing, etc.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM

For even further reference, Simple Boy is the song that he utilises the Stack the most (throughout a whole song, anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV_mkTn4fb0

and then he plays it at the end of Change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuvF50INiZs

(Starts around 12 min, when he jams out on it)

Then there is actually a camera shooting from underneath it and it looks like a 20" crash/ride with a smaller crash on top and then a splash.

Either way, it's going to be a long day at the drum store, when I start experimenting with Stacks :D
Old 08-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
For even further reference, Simple Boy is the song that he utilises the Stack the most (throughout a whole song, anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV_mkTn4fb0

and then he plays it at the end of Change

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuvF50INiZs

(Starts around 12 min, when he jams out on it)

Then there is actually a camera shooting from underneath it and it looks like a 20" crash/ride with a smaller crash on top and then a splash.

Either way, it's going to be a long day at the drum store, when I start experimenting with Stacks :D
alright, so a crash/ride then instead of a china. you're going to need some small bells!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porter View Post
alright, so a crash/ride then instead of a china. you're going to need some small bells!
Well I was trying to wrap my head around how someone would put a Crash on top of a China? I just can't see that happening very conventionally...? and Wuhan china's are inverted oppositely to how any other China is.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

With a Wuhan, it'd have to be with the china in the inverted position (flange down) and the crash just on top of that- normal in Steve's case or inverted for a Halpern-style stack. You'd need a fair bit of real estate on the cymbal post for the first one though.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Does anyone know what type of hat it is that Steve Judd usually is seen wearing virtually all the time when playing? (Ironically he's not in the picture above).

Random question I know. But yes he's one of my favourite drummers and a very musical player.