DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 AM

Default Which Pearl Vision VBX hoops to upgrade?

I am thinking of upgrading my hoops to the Pearl Mastercasts. Should I just upgrade my snare and tom batters? and is this a good decision? Thanks alot =)
Old 01-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Which Pearl Vision VBX hoops to upgrade?

Visions come with 1.8 hoops. I think it's a worthy upgrade to replace these with 2.3s, you'll get more focus, punch, fewer high overtones, and slightly more stable tuning. I've heard kits where this has been done and it was an improvement in every case.

Cast hoops have a rather more dramatic effect on the sound. They add even more focus and tuning stability, but they also can really dry out drums. It's a matter of preference--some guys really like that sound, others not so much.

Unfortunately the price of seeing whether you like them or not is extremely high. If you end up not liking the sound you're going to be out a considerable amount of money. And you might want to consider whether such an expense is worth carrying out for a mid-level kit. The cost of diecasts all around could be more than half of what you paid for the kit in the first place.

Plus: if you're still using the ISS mounts, bear in mind that your stock ISS mounts will not work with either.

I think that generic 2.3 hoops would be a nice and cost-effective upgrade, you can find them here, here, and here. You could also get Pearl's 2.3 Superhoops, but you pay dearly for that Pearl engraving.

Due to the mount issue, most guys upgrade to optimounts first, hoops second.

Finally, if you're using the stock Vision snare, slap some 2.3 hoops on there immediately, it will really improve the drum.