DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Default Jack White's drum setup

It seems so strange. His rack toms are completely flat and level with his snare. What are the benefits and drawbacks of playing with this sort of setup?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Jack White's drum setup

That looks pretty normal to me. Also, the main advantage is the ease one can play rolls from snare to rack toms and back.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

They're not rack toms, they're snares. There was an article all about him and his setup in MD a couple of months ago.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM

I dig it.

I've never played a setup like this, but I can imagine the benefits and drawbacks.

Benefit: All drum surfaces are at the same level, so you don't have to lift your hands/arms up and down as you move around the drums.

Drawback: Since the drums are off to the sides, you'd have to employ a lot of torso twisting to move around the drums.

Benefit: Cymbals are nice and low, so no reaching to play them.

Drawback: Hats seem kind of far to the left. Hard to reach when cross sticking (probably ok for open handed playing).
Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Try it, you may like it! Different strokes and all that.
I can only see benefits. Better visibility, no jamming your stick into the sides of your rack toms, plus it looks cool

Looks like he's using a 24" kick, they do put your racks up pretty high if you bass drum mount them.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Pioneer Member

The only benefit I can see is that he has set up so he feels comfortable getting whatever he thinks he should play out and onto the drums. He must like to sit over top of them alot.

I don't think there are many ergonomic benefits to this kind of set up. With the second snare and the floor toms all flat he has to reach a bit more than he would if they were raised a bit and angled towards him.

It looks cool but if he plays patterns on all the drums regularly it seems like he's got a lot of space between his left side and right side drums and has to overcome that with technique.

I wouldn't enjoy playing that kit for very long.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 PM

It looks cool but makes my back hurt thinking about playing it! Ha ha
Old 12-16-2009, 05:25 AM

I actually find it helpful to occasionally completely mix things up- just change everything about your kit's setup. Change tom angle and height, cymbal placement ( and cymbals) to push yourself to think differently, play new things, etc.

try it, you'll like it......
Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 PM

I think the drum next to the bass drum should be raised at least a little bit because it's easier on the back if all the drums are a similar distance from the shoulder. Maybe after playing 5-6 gigs a week for a while (is he on tour now?) he will change things for comfort. Otherwise it looks cool. My rock kit is a cheap yamaha with power toms on the bass drum, and they are WAY too high, I think. I see Jack as a producer playing drums more than a drummer (not to say he's not good, he is, I'm just talking mindset) and he loves that huge unmuffled bass drum sound. I would love to hear them in concert, the radio single is absolutely killing!
Old 12-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

If you listen to the Dead Weather album you don't hear too many fills in the music (although the one's that are there are pretty damn clean). It's pretty straight forward (kick, snare, hat/ride work), but he makes it work well. A couple of things that aren't captured (or not captured well) is his floor tom setup. He's running three f-toms in a triangular pattern. And also a ching ring that he has set about 8"-9" high on the hi hat rod.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 PM

Travis Barker had this kind of setup before I saw Jack using it. The advantage is the visual effect... you almost have to get out of your seat to hit the toms, and with high energy that Barker has, he looks like he's flying around the kit getting out of his seat almost. He hits with a lot of arm power too.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan01 View Post
Travis Barker had this kind of setup before I saw Jack using it. The advantage is the visual effect... you almost have to get out of your seat to hit the toms, and with high energy that Barker has, he looks like he's flying around the kit getting out of his seat almost. He hits with a lot of arm power too.
Travis has his rack tom set flat, but not quite as low as that. His rack tom is a few inches above the level of his snare.

Check out Seven Antonopoulos for a low setup:

Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhasmash View Post
It seems so strange. His rack toms are completely flat and level with his snare. What are the benefits and drawbacks of playing with this sort of setup?
Love the picture of Jack White. I love The White Stripes, but haven't enjoyed very much of his side projects since then. I don't think I liked any of The Raconteurs songs. I do like The Dead Weather a little more. Hang You From The Heavens is good.

Does Jack White play on all the drum tracks on the Weather's first album? Or does he and Jack Lawrence (the bassist) interchange? I'm wondering what they do when they play live. If White is playing guitar, who is playing drums? If Lawrence plays drums while White is playing guitar, who is playing bass? I wonder if White has been playing drums for as long as has been playing guitar.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
His rack toms are completely flat and level with his snare. What are the benefits and drawbacks of playing with this sort of setup?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocTurnal View Post
Love the picture of Jack White. I love The White Stripes, but haven't enjoyed very much of his side projects since then. I don't think I liked any of The Raconteurs songs. I do like The Dead Weather a little more. Hang You From The Heavens is good.

Does Jack White play on all the drum tracks on the Weather's first album? Or does he and Jack Lawrence (the bassist) interchange? I'm wondering what they do when they play live. If White is playing guitar, who is playing drums? If Lawrence plays drums while White is playing guitar, who is playing bass? I wonder if White has been playing drums for as long as has been playing guitar.
According to the documentary "It Might Get Loud" (check it out, it's damn good) he played drums before he played guitar. He actually had two kits setup in his room when he was growing up.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:54 AM

bill bruford had a setup like that

"Adopted a style of a classical timpanist, I decided to arrange the drum flat in a semi circle around me, out of pitch order, snare drum in the middle. A couple of cymbals on both left and right and I had a symmetrical kit mirrored on both left and right. Simple, elegant effective and this particular configuration would fall under the sticks, hopefully making my phrasing sound...well a little different." Bill Bruford the autobiography

Obviously, Bruford knows a lot more about his instrument than jack white but who knows.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Classic Drumsmith

This is one of my kits. It plays effortlessly and I spend very little energy reaching or lifting. I've been using this basic configuration since 1990.

Last edited by Dunnett; 12-21-2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Classic Drumsmith

Notice that the 2 floor toms have only 2 legs each.

Jack's kit

Old 12-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Classic Drumsmith

Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnett View Post
It obviously works for him, but I fail to see how that's even remotely playable...
Old 12-21-2009, 02:05 AM

Hey Ronn (Im assuming this is Ronn)....your set-up looks really comfortable to play but I want to know how big the cymbal is on your left...it sure looks bigger than a 24". That monster looks huge!!! And does your 1st floor tom get in the way of your right knee?
Old 12-21-2009, 02:38 AM
Classic Drumsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicotine25 View Post
Hey Ronn (Im assuming this is Ronn)....your set-up looks really comfortable to play but I want to know how big the cymbal is on your left...it sure looks bigger than a 24". That monster looks huge!!! And does your 1st floor tom get in the way of your right knee?
The ride is a 24" Paiste Giant beat.

The floor toms are slightly out of line in this image - they don't interfere with my right leg. The pedal is obviously slaved and that gives more room than what it might look like in the picture.

I set it up this way because - and I assume everyone has done this - I liked the way everything felt when I would practice sitti9ng n a couch and using the arm rest as tom, targets. Same thing with playing a car steering wheel with sticks - I liked the compressed placement of everything.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:43 AM

Yeah thats really cool!...man that ride looks so much bigger than a 24" in the pic. I can imagine that set being really fun to play. I try to set up kind of the same way (with everything as close as possible), as well as pretty flat so I may need to steal some ideas from you. I should have another snare to add to my set soon as I was the winner of the Elkhart....and I am really looking forward to jamming on it. Thanks again!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:53 AM

Nice setup, Dunnett!

One more comment about JW's setup: In the first pic, I noticed his drums are set pretty low. I used to have my snare that low, then I realized I kept banging my legs with my hands as I was playing. I raised the snare up higher, and it works much better for me now.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:50 AM
Classic Drumsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
Nice setup, Dunnett!

One more comment about JW's setup: In the first pic, I noticed his drums are set pretty low. I used to have my snare that low, then I realized I kept banging my legs with my hands as I was playing. I raised the snare up higher, and it works much better for me now.
Had the same thing - maybe you had the same experience I had - finding a large bruise on my leg after a gig and not knowing how it got there.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
It obviously works for him, but I fail to see how that's even remotely playable...
You can see it here. Looks playable enough. At least for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6sg...eature=related

I wonder if Jack saw the thread on Meg White criticizing her extreme tom angle and decided to start a controversey in the opposite direction. Too much angle - not enough angle. Whatever. If it works for you, do it.

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnett View Post
This is one of my kits. It plays effortlessly and I spend very little energy reaching or lifting. I've been using this basic configuration since 1990.

I'm diggin' this set up! I like the remote BD thing!

As for the original question, the only thing that doesn't seem right with Jack's set-up is the low height. I find it hard to roll with the sticks at such a high angle to the head. Raise it up about 6 inches, and it's not sooo unlike my set up. My two floor toms are flat and in plane with the snare. Just the rack tom is a few inches higher than the rest. Just the basic Buddy Rich traditional set-up.

-Ryan
Old 12-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

With a set up like this, you don't really do 'down the drums" type fills.

If you are that type of player, or like fills that are more "drummy", rather than something that just fits in the groove, then it's not going to be what you'd like for a set-up.

With the toms like this (low) and things grouped like JW has on this kit, it's more of a "go this way" or "that way" when doing "fills".

His kick is a 16x26. The snares are 5x16 & a 12x14 marching snare. The front tom is a 5x16 too.

I play a 26 on most of my kits (have a 28 too), and sometimes the toms are level with the kick, sometimes not.
It depends on how I feel at the time. It's pretty comfortable too, no worse than anything else.
It does move the tom over, but since I'm not really a 'down the toms' type player much anyway, it isn't a problem.

Only using 2 cymbals is fun too.

Sometimes I use 4 ft's on the kit, and with 2 on each side it seems more natural feeling going to my left than the right...even though when I only use 2 or 3, it feels normal going to the right. It's hard to explain, but it's fun.

There have been a couple other drummers I've liked that have this kind of kit.
Gregg Potter, and Vic Foxx (The Veronicas, Vince Neil, Enuff Z Nuff) come to mind.

Cool pics people posted.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Gold Member

My younger cousin has a setup a lot like Jack's but only a 4pc.
His Rack Tom and Snare are at exactly the same level and super low.
I play with my stuff low too, but not that low, My back would hurt a LOT of I had to reach like that for the tom.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 PM

I have my kit set up in same manner and have no problems playing at these levels...Back problems ? I'm using a "Foot Stool" (About 2 1/2' square and 2 1/2' high) instead of drum stool and works great...Drum stools cause me back problems and I find most quite uncomfortable...I like the low set-up...Everthing right there although I don't see how the Toms to the left of the set up would be easy to play...Looks kind of out there...With a 3 or 4 piece set of drums (Snare - Toms) not a problem...Anyone out there have any Gretsch Renown Toms for sale ? 13" RT 14" FT or 18" FT in Slate Silver Sparkle...Thanks...RS...
Old 01-11-2010, 05:08 AM

if you notice, his drum set is based around 3's... there is 3 ppl on his bass drum, and the rest of his set is in 3's
Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
You can see it here. Looks playable enough. At least for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6sg...eature=related
Looks horrible to me. He has to lean forward all the time, and has very limited range of motion for his arms, especially when playing cross handed. Someone should tell him what happened to Phil Collins because of bad posture.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM

hate the snare drums sound, sounds choked. His playing is okay, definitely didn't use a lot of that kit but I liked the song.

Last edited by kurtdaniel1; 04-04-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:03 PM

Yeah, I was going to say he looked kind of uncomfortable playing drums...compared to how he handles that guitar of his.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Hellwyck

Dave McClain
Ex-Sacred Reich, now with Oakland thrash/groove legends Machine Head

Old 04-01-2011, 04:31 PM

I set my kit up as flat as possible... I never liked the drums all angled at me. When I see Nicko McBrain, Up the Irons!, I trip out on the angles of his kit, dude is lost back there too...
Old 04-01-2011, 04:56 PM

Not too wild about JW's kit as it looks crazy uncomfortable to reach everything, especially the floors on the right, but to each his own. I am, however, digging Dunnetts kit setup where it all seems very easy to navigate around. I play double pedal a lot so the remote bass would be a problem technique-wise, but still looks good. I recently sold my huge Slingerland kit but this is what I'm playing now and it may be the most comfortable, versatile kit I have ever played. While the toms are not exactly "flat", their placement does allow me to play a lot of multi-tom fills almost effortlessly. Kudos to all who think outside the box and can bring themselves to realize that standard, traditional setups may not be for everyone anymore. I'm glad there are so many hardware options nowdays...
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone000 View Post
According to the documentary "It Might Get Loud" (check it out, it's damn good) he played drums before he played guitar. He actually had two kits setup in his room when he was growing up.
Great film. For any musicians -- not just guitarists.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbones View Post
Great film. For any musicians -- not just guitarists.
I totally loved "It Might Get Loud", and you are exactly right, it is not just for guitarists. Sorry to some and not to offend anyone but Jack White totally blew me away compared to the The Edge and Jimmy Page. Not just with his playing but with his entire mindset concerning music and how he is "ALWAYS" thinking out of the box...what a concept and words I have often used with my bandmates...Love JW and what he brings to the table. Loved when he said he did even have room for bed in his room because the drums took up all the space and he opted to sleep on the floor instead of getting rid of one of the kits, now that's dedication from jump street...

And by the way not a set-up that would be easy for me play on, but then again my set up is very unique and out of the norm also..
Old 04-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

I remember seeing this promo for the movie several months before it had came out and thinking, "this is the coolest thing I've ever seen".

http://youtu.be/xCFXeChXfcI