DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-30-2009, 08:05 PM

Default Audix Fusion or CAD 7-piece?

So in the next couple of days I'll be buying recording equipment, finally. But I can't decide whether to buy the CAD 7-Piece http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAD-Prem...45-i1126882.gc or the Audix Fusion pack. I've looked at youtube videos of people playing the drums with these mics, and I can't decide which one's I like better. Both of the mics sound just as good as the other, but if I got the audix I'd have to buy even more mics. Because I have a 6 shell kit, the CAD would work great because I could use one snare, one between my two rack toms, and two on each of the floor toms, because I regularly only use the bigger of the two rack toms. Help anyone?
Old 12-31-2009, 05:23 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Audix Fusion or CAD 7-piece?

from what i hear the audix are better quality, they do have a 5,6 and 7 piece mic kit. the cads i've never used but people have told me their kinda cheap feeling and mediocre sound but i can't swear to that.

i have an 11 peice (i think, maybe 12) audix mic kit i was going to use and then never did but the tinkering i did with them they sounded pretty damn good. actually i was thinking of getting rid of them since i'm not using them at all....
Old 12-31-2009, 06:19 AM
Gold Member

I don't know about those CAD mikes, but I can tell you that I had a fusion pack and they worked well for me.

I know that this isn't the question, but I'd also consider getting a bass drum mic and two overheads and maybe a snare mike that are top quality. Then you wouldn't want to upgrade later. I know shure makes a beta 52 and 3 sm57 pack that'd do nicely. And yes, drums sound great with three mikes!
billbachman.net
Old 12-31-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrae1l View Post
from what i hear the audix are better quality, they do have a 5,6 and 7 piece mic kit. the cads i've never used but people have told me their kinda cheap feeling and mediocre sound but i can't swear to that.

i have an 11 peice (i think, maybe 12) audix mic kit i was going to use and then never did but the tinkering i did with them they sounded pretty damn good. actually i was thinking of getting rid of them since i'm not using them at all....
If you're thinking about selling them, I'll take em! :D
Old 12-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Silver Member

only thing i didn't like about the shure was their over all size, their almost full sized mics and just seem like they would be rather bulky and in the way

i was told the same thing after i bought the audix mics, all you really need is a couple of good overhead condenser mics and a good kick mic and possibly a nice snare mic depending on how much you want the snare to cut threw the rest of the drums.

but since i have a tendency to go way overboard my first thought was to mic every drum and every cymbal so yeah.....

i needed 29 mics...

i was almost half way there...

when i found out i over killed it again...

so yeah i'm gonna sell them.....

opening bids?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipschmidt View Post
So in the next couple of days I'll be buying recording equipment, finally. But I can't decide whether to buy the CAD 7-Piece http://www.guitarcenter.com/CAD-Prem...45-i1126882.gc or the Audix Fusion pack. Help anyone?
These two threads have some info on these mic packs. There may be others.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=56503

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=55857