DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 12-03-2009, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Drum studio project

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
How's the project going?
Slowly. Holidays and Jury duty have conspired to push back my schedule a whole week. I should have something new to cover either tomorrow or Friday. Friday for sure since I'm heading out to the DW factory that day.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Great project! I am envious!!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:28 AM

Day 28 is up now. Mostly set backs this week and a few minor details, like how to make mud dry and how to handle a super heavy door. Also, how totally unimpressive my kit looks when it's all packed away.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 AM

Awesome ! I love when a plan comes together ! Can't wait to see the finished product. Any chance we can talk you in to making us a walkthrough vid too ?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayblazeff View Post
Awesome ! I love when a plan comes together ! Can't wait to see the finished product. Any chance we can talk you in to making us a walkthrough vid too ?
Yeah, I think I can arrange that. And once I have it tuned up well, I'll be posting some audio samples as well.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Particularly looking forward to the 'tuning' section. A great project.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:51 AM

I just discovered this gem of a thread!

I want more!!!! I want more now!

Great thread - even better blog. Keep us updated!

Really makes my home studio look like child's play:
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2009, 06:41 AM

The next installment is up, and it surely isn't what you expected. All good stories need a twist, no?
Old 12-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

WOW! That sux! It's all about the Benjamin's.. as usual.

Good luck..... we are all rooting for you...
Old 12-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

How completely absurd. I know we're not supposed to engage in political commentary here but this type of do-gooder, bureaucratic central planning really burns me. This is *your* property, correct? Have you harmed anyone or put someone else in danger by building a room....*inside* of your garage? Have you damaged anyone else's property or slighted them somehow, with this addition...*inside* of your own home?

Parking!? INSIDE of your home? This is someone else's business but your *own*!?

Sickens me...I'll shut up now.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:14 AM

SON OF A *%@#! This pisses me off as I was ready for final pics and details.

But, you are right - there needs to be a way to turn this into a positive and come out even better in the end:

What is the real issue? Being "able" to park 2 vehicles in the garage? I mean lets be realistic, half of us don't actually use the garage for cars. So are you in the clear if you simply have the ABILITY to park 2 cars in the garage? Meaning, you can have stuff in the garage (such as storage) but you just need the necessary amount of space to park cars in there... although you are not forced to? If so, what about using your ENTIRE garage as your studio? I realize this means more materials but you then have an entire band rehearsal space. Why not make an entire garage within the garage - allowing for the space to park both cars (although you wont actually park in there) but creating walls just inside the structure of the existing garage.

Or, what's the deal (or code) on split garages? I had a townhouse that had a 2-car garage but there were posts or pillars in between, creating a split between the two garages (if that makes sense).... can you call it converting your garage into a split system garage? Then, of course, create the studio within one side.

Let me know how this goes and what other ideas you come up with to resolve this. I don't know if I can sleep now. Perhaps the wife needs to move her craft room into one of the cars sitting in the garage? ;)

Last ditch effort - get a divorce and you get HALF the house.... right now you have none of it ;) problem solved... drums are in a cozy studio IN the house.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Big_Philly

Bureaucratic cr@p like this pisses me off to no end. It seems that, in munnicipalities, every process is divided in as many small steps as possible, with the next person in the chain of steps clueless as to what the person before him did, or what the person after him is supposed to do.

I once rammed a bicycle into a block of concrete that I did not see because there were no streetlights on - there was some construction going on and my bicycle headlight was not bright enough. I saw the block when I was about 4 metres away from it and was riding pretty fast. I wasn't injured but my bike was totaled. A couple of witnesses told me to send the bill for a new bike to the municipality (municipalities always have millions to spare (read: spend on pointless "artworks" and bonuses so it should be no biggie). They sent me back a polite letter, but between the lines it read "go... fiddle with yourself".

So, long post short: I feel your pain!
Maybe get a permit for a primitive roof-ish construction over the driveway toward the garage?
Old 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopranos View Post
What is the real issue? Being "able" to park 2 vehicles in the garage? I mean lets be realistic, half of us don't actually use the garage for cars. So are you in the clear if you simply have the ABILITY to park 2 cars in the garage? Meaning, you can have stuff in the garage (such as storage) but you just need the necessary amount of space to park cars in there... although you are not forced to? If so, what about using your ENTIRE garage as your studio? I realize this means more materials but you then have an entire band rehearsal space. Why not make an entire garage within the garage - allowing for the space to park both cars (although you wont actually park in there) but creating walls just inside the structure of the existing garage.
Yep, I have to preserve at least two parking spaces as defined by the code. For a garage like mine, the code wants two to see two 9' wide by 20' deep spaces. And the city keeps insisting that those spaces be side by each, although it says this nowhere in the code. But they are the ones who will be issuing the permit so...

Here's the really fun part. I measured my garage again so that I could make new plans and found that it is short of the code by 6" wide and up to 2' deep in some places. Apparently, the city of Lake Forest isn't so interested in preserving their precious code when a giant developer wants to crap out new houses.

Your idea for making "garage within a garage" is one of the two big ideas we've been looking at this week. Bottom line: if I can park two cars in it, then it's not an obstruction any more. I'll just have what looks like a very nice "inner" garage, and that truly is nobody's business (even if they want it to be). That idea is really involved and requires movable portions of a sound proof grade wall, but I believe that the general concept would work well against the city's demands.

For now, I'm spending all day in Maya working on new 3D plans. I'll follow up with a post next week, showing whatever plan we settle on, permits and cover all of the crazy ideas we came up with to get around the city's BS.

If we're to build this thing over, then it has to be better. We're on a mission now... and it looks like you all will get to see how we approach two very different rooms.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 PM

This is absolutely absurd ! I'm pretty pissed off right now. If i were you brundle, i'd hire a lawyer. They may know the right people or ways around this garbage. Does the codes specify if the covered parking has to be a permenant structure ? Because i'd be a real prick and stick one of these in my yard..... http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2...7-TSU-923-.jpg .... and tell the city that either that will sufice or i move and take my property taxes with me.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brundlefly View Post
Yep, I have to preserve at least two parking spaces as defined by the code. For a garage like mine, the code wants two to see two 9' wide by 20' deep spaces. And the city keeps insisting that those spaces be side by each, although it says this nowhere in the code. But they are the ones who will be issuing the permit so...

Here's the really fun part. I measured my garage again so that I could make new plans and found that it is short of the code by 6" wide and up to 2' deep in some places. Apparently, the city of Lake Forest isn't so interested in preserving their precious code when a giant developer wants to crap out new houses.

Your idea for making "garage within a garage" is one of the two big ideas we've been looking at this week. Bottom line: if I can park two cars in it, then it's not an obstruction any more. I'll just have what looks like a very nice "inner" garage, and that truly is nobody's business (even if they want it to be). That idea is really involved and requires movable portions of a sound proof grade wall, but I believe that the general concept would work well against the city's demands.

For now, I'm spending all day in Maya working on new 3D plans. I'll follow up with a post next week, showing whatever plan we settle on, permits and cover all of the crazy ideas we came up with to get around the city's BS.

If we're to build this thing over, then it has to be better. We're on a mission now... and it looks like you all will get to see how we approach two very different rooms.
I'm sure you've already rolled this over in your mind - but what would be the drawbacks of just soundproofing the entire garage? Sure it'd cost more...but as it is, your costs have probably *at least* doubled?

If you basically converted the entire garage into a music room (suspended walls, ceiling, the works), there'd be no issue of parking space and you'd have a bit more flexibility in the use of the space.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

Remember this well when you hand over power to politicians and trust your government to take care of you...

Three options, depending on how squeamish you are:

1) Contact the mayor's office directly. As with anything, people at the top can get stuff done.

2) If the mayor refuses to help, then go to the media. Little specials during the news like "Help Me Howard" love stories of idiotic government agencies/businesses trying to screw the little guy over. And because it's the media, and they have the power to make you look bad to millions, said big agencies usually cave.

3) Extend the house. Use the rest of the "driveway" as the foundation for a garage. Apply for the proper permits. If they give you a hard time, tell them it's so you can keep within code. So now, essentially, the current garage is now an indoor storage area and the city has little to no say on what you do with it. Stick the big finger at them.

And don't forget to vote them out next chance you get!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

I have followed this thread from the beginning with great interest and have thoroughly enjoyed the blog. To have this happen is simply unbelievable!! I know you have a considerable amount of money in this project and it would be such a shame to have to start over, even if you can make it better. I most certainly hope you can get the issues with the city worked out and get back to the business of making music in an amazing room!!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:20 PM

Don't you just love city codes. I am sorry to hear about the change in plans. I wanted to let everyone know that if you are in need of GreenGlue, I have about 8 cases left over from my project and need to get it out of here to create some space. I think this stuff is pretty expensive and I would be willing to let it go for a pretty good discount. I live in NC so depending where you are shipping could be a be expensive.

Just to let you guys know I did something very similar in my basement. I did not use MLV or some of the other material Brundlefly used. I simply used 2x6 walls on 24" centers then the Hat Channel, a layer of 3/4" Paperless dry wall, then the GreenGlue and then another layer of 3/4" Paperless. I sealed all the gaps, put in sound resistant windows, a heavy duty outside door with glass panels and a heavy duty interior door. My wife and baby are able to sleep upstairs with no issues and I have never had a complaint from a neighbor in the two years I have had band rehearsal here about once a week. You can definitely hear the music but it sounds like someone has a stereo on in the room next door. I forgot to tell you guys that my house has a 900 sq. ft. foot print. So we are not talking a huge house. I think the MLV would and sound absorbing sheet would make the difference between hearing the music outside the room and not. The difference is the cost. MLV is not cheap and neither is the sound absorbing foam sheets. I didn't use either on because the renovation I was doing at the time went way way over budget.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:55 PM

Sorry man..I've been following your blog and it's been great to see the progress. You recently posted on my new studio project thread and did help me a lot. Thanks. It had to of been suggested but maybe I missed it.....Do you have room on your property to build a single car detached garage or simply add a third stall?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

Last night in bed i was daydreaming of making out with a rockstar girl in a paris hotel room, as you do, and i was reminded of an interesting planning law in the city which states that no structure built within a certain radius of the centre of the city is allowed to be taller than the eiffel tower. Basically all this planning stuff is bullshit really and some of it is based on completely outdated ideas and principals. But sill, that's bad luck mate. Real bad luck. I guess it shows the importance of always looking at the legal stuff before starting out on any work on your house.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 12-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Big_Philly

So, any news? I really, really hope you don't need to tear the studio down!
Perhaps there's a way to use the fact that your garage does not meet the city code to begin with against the city?
Old 12-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

Man, this is really a christmas-spirit-killer. I am so sorry for you. Do you even need 2 parking spaces btw?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Man, this is really a christmas-spirit-killer. I am so sorry for you. Do you even need 2 parking spaces btw?
No, I don't need the two spaces. But the city insists that I must have them anyway. In truth, everyone on my block has their garage full of stuff. Nobody lives up to this code. When I pointed that fact out to the inspector, his reply was, "Do you wish to file complaints against them? I if you do, I can force them to remove their stuff too." No thanks. One douche bag on our block is enough.

But that's all past now. I've got a new design, a new plan and two new snare drums. So, it hasn't been all that bad.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Pioneer Member

This may be a long shot, but look into securing an allodial deed/title on your property.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:44 AM

Given the circumstance, I didn't think I'd have much for a while yet, but the next installment is up with lots of technical coverage on my "room of doom's" performance. At least you can get a good idea of what to expect from this kind of room design before we demolish it.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Well it's gr8 to see @ least something good is going to come out of this disaster. Can't wait to see the new room anyway mate.

EHs Music Facebook Page