DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Vintage Ambs as Resos?

Well it's getting to be that time, I'm in the market for a full set of heads. I was wondering, has anyone ever used Remo's Vintage Ambassador heads as resonant head on their toms? They're 2-ply and about .5 mil thicker than a regular Ambassador. I'm currently using Coated Ambassadors for resos, and honestly I can't complain, I'm just inquiring; maybe someone's got some input. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Vintage Ambs as Resos?

I was wondering the same thing. I currently have Vintage Emperors over coated Ambassadors and was thinking of going all vintage series, please reply if you've tried the vintage A's as reso heads, or could conceive of what that would be like.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28175
Old 12-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vintage Ambs as Resos?

Since the VA's are 2 ply, and slightly deeper sounding that the regular CA, I'd think you'd have to tighten them a little more than you normally would to get the sound you want.
It'd probably get a slightly softer tone out of the drums.

I'd buy one head, and try it.
Wait a couple days after you've put them on and get them going, and then fiddle with them to see how you really like them.
That way, you are going in fresh without the sound of the other heads still in your mind.

Another sound option:
Smooth White Ambassadors get a slightly warmer tone than clears, but they have more presence than the coated heads do (along with the slightly warmer tone).
They're real nice, kind of a "best of both worlds", and I switched all my bottoms to them from clears.
Over time, I've tried pretty much everything, and the Smooth White are pretty dang cool heads.