DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Lefty double bass. in AUSTRALIA.

hey guys.
this might sound like a bit of a rant... but what the hell is going on!?!

i live in australia.
Tasmania to be more specific.
and honestly....
it's hard enough finding a LEFTY double bass pedal, new OR used,
without spending atleast $80-$100 of the righty equivalent.

there are none in the three music shops in the city i live in, and the prices on the gear from the mainland online shops are rediculous.

i seriously feel like switching my kit back around and playing open-handed.
i mean $800 for a iron cobra power glide is kinda a bit uppish don't we agree?

in conclusion...
if anyone knows a site that i can purchase a decently priced lefty double bass pedal...
please don't hesitate to let me know!
Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Lefty double bass. in AUSTRALIA.

I bought a few items from www.midwestpercussion.com when I lived in Australia a couple of years ago, which worked very nicely. US prices are definitely MUCH lower than Australian prices. Send them an e-mail, they'll set you up with a quote for a lefty pedal of your choice and shipping to Australia in no time.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:12 PM

oh okay, sounds cool. :) thanks.

yeah i'm having a look now, lefty pearl elims 2002 for 399 AUD, compared to the 800 ish i get around here. thanks. :)
Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, pretty cheap. They have a shipping cost calculator on their checkout page, but it's very inaccurate for international orders, so you need to e-mail them with a list of the stuff you want, along with your address, and ask what the shipping cost will be. I believe I paid around $120 for a heavy brass snare.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willamf View Post
oh okay, sounds cool. :) thanks.

yeah i'm having a look now, lefty pearl elims 2002 for 399 AUD, compared to the 800 ish i get around here. thanks. :)
wow, 800 for a iron cobra double? tasmania must be dear as hell, i can get a double iron cobra for about 450 in QLD :).
Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphfz View Post
wow, 800 for a iron cobra double? tasmania must be dear as hell, i can get a double iron cobra for about 450 in QLD :).
where would you go about doing that? sounds interesting...

i'd just love anyone in Aus to give me an option of buying within the country.
i don't mind if it's used, or anything.
i just needs a lefty double bass. >.<
Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM

bumpity bump bump. ohhhhhh yeah.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:43 AM

I remember being able to reassemble iron cobra into a left handed double pedal, actually a
guy in the drum shop suggested it and did it for me on the spot. I never bought it actually.

Go to your local shop and have a good look at right handed pedal and see it it is possible with newer models. I think all you'll need is to reverse the main "shaft"/"axel" on the main pedal.
I hope that helps.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

Just to back up what synthesaur said. I have also read several posts from people that claim to have easily converted a Cobra.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
i live in australia.
Tasmania to be more specific.
and honestly....
it's hard enough finding a LEFTY double bass pedal, new OR used,
without spending atleast $80-$100 of the righty equivalent.
Of all places, Tasmania...I have been there once, nice place, the idea from many Mainlanders is that Tasmania is so isolated that everything is backwards (how apt since you're a lefty in a righty world), simply economics, price will increase if desire and supply decrease.

...yeah, go to the shop and ask if you can assemble a righty pedal to a lefty configuration, with Tama pedals that shouldn't be a problem just takes some studying of the parts.

I have a Tama double pedal, the axles and cams can be removed from the powdered metal frame, the Iron Cobra frame is ambidextrous (lucky, because many other pedals are not like that), so with some screwdrivers, allen keys and some elbow grease the axles can be removed (this is to allow for the fact that pedals can be disassembled and oiled) and the cam removed and slid off the axle and then placed back on the lefty way, the difficult part is the tube that holds the slave beater has to be removed and placed to the left, there are many moving parts that have to placed exactly in the right order.

The difference is how you get them in the shop.

I might not be very clear so read through this thread and see what somone said about it:

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/s...d.php?t=434330

If you can convert the pedal to two singles it can be converted to a mirrored configuration.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:16 PM

Actually you can't convert them into 2 single pedals. The slave pedal does not have the clamp to connect to bass drum.
BUT if you reverse the pivots (axle onto which the beater is mounted) on both pedals, then it is possible. The main pedal remains the main, only now the the part on the axle that holds the shaft is on the right side towards the slave (and on the slave pedal it is now facing to left).
Old 12-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Actually you can't convert them into 2 single pedals. The slave pedal does not have the clamp to connect to bass drum.
BUT if you reverse the pivots (axle onto which the beater is mounted) on both pedals, then it is possible. The main pedal remains the main, only now the the part on the axle that holds the shaft is on the right side towards the slave (and on the slave pedal it is now facing to left).
Sorry, your right, the main remains the main but with the slave simply on the right.

...but Iron Cobras can be dismantled, takes a bit of time, remember that you need the right sized Allen Key and a drum key to re-configure it.

Last edited by BassDriver; 12-14-2009 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling