DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 AM

Default Closed hat boom question

Hey I am looking for a boom that will hold a wuhan china under a normal hi hat top. I want to put this as an x-hat on my right side. My question is first... which closed hat boom do you recommend (I am leaning towards the tama one). And will my wuhan china with a normal hi hat top fight on the rod? Thank you,

P.S
Here's a picture for reference: http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/cl...ar=2009&area=2
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Closed hat boom question

I recomend the Gibraltar X-hat. They have a couple of different options. The first following picture is basically just a x-hat stacker that you can attach to any threaded cymbal stand. I have mine attached to a L-Rod with a threaded top. This lets me insert it into any number of different clamps. However gibraltar also makes a standard boom with x-hat attachment. The one pictured is the old style the new one has a "Brake tilter"
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2009, 09:57 PM

Here is the new "gear-less brake tilter X-Hat"
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 PM

My X-hat consists of a 12" Wuhan on bottom, with a 10" splash top. I have mine too mounted on the right side of my kit. I have no problems mounting the wuhan. You just need to first screw the tension spring all the way down. Then place the wuhan, followed by the top cymbal, then tighten the HH clutch screw. From there you can screw the spring tension from super tight and articulate, to loose and washy. It works great. One kinda neat thing I do though, is that I keep the HH clutch loose all the way so I can remove to top cymbal and use it as a "drumbal", and still use the china by it self...the HH Clutch then becomes the "Drumbal" handle. This works best if the top cymbal is 12" or smaller however...see following pic.

Hope this helps.
Peace!
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2009, 04:54 AM

Wow nicotine thanks a ton. That really helped! (no sarcasm). By looks of your picture it looks like your rod has comfortable room for the wuhan and top cymbal... Am i right? Also does the gibraltar include the springs you were talking about?
Thanks again, zep
Old 12-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

+1 on the Gibraltar X-hat. I have one and it's very versatile, and has a pretty long rod. I actually mount a cymbal tilter on top of my X-hat rod with an 8" splash a la Neil.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

And re: spring tension: The X-hat has a turning knob under it, similar to the threaded gasket under a snare basket, that tightens or loosens an included spring under the bottom hat to increase or decrease tension between the cymbals (i.e., open or close them more). You don't need to fiddle directly with the knob, either. When I want to adjust the tension, I simply grab the hi-hat cymbals and spin them in the desired direction to tighten or loosen them - much quicker. If you look at the cymbal post mounted version pictured a few posts ago, you can see what I'm talking about.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:56 PM

I agree with Alparott about not fiddling with the tension. Just when you first get it take the tension all the way down. This will give you the most rod to work with. Once it is all the way down add your wuhan and top cymbal with clutch, but leave the clutch loose. you can then "unscrew", the tension on the HH, to the desired area on the rod. This will make sure you have both ways to go. (either tighter, or looser)...and still have plenty of HH rod. I hope that wasnt to confusing.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
And re: spring tension: The X-hat has a turning knob under it, similar to the threaded gasket under a snare basket, that tightens or loosens an included spring under the bottom hat to increase or decrease tension between the cymbals (i.e., open or close them more). You don't need to fiddle directly with the knob, either. When I want to adjust the tension, I simply grab the hi-hat cymbals and spin them in the desired direction to tighten or loosen them - much quicker. If you look at the cymbal post mounted version pictured a few posts ago, you can see what I'm talking about.
Ok thanks, looks like exactly what I'm looking for. However, you said that to adjust you just spin the cymbals, is there any chance that it could spin during play?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephead19 View Post
Ok thanks, looks like exactly what I'm looking for. However, you said that to adjust you just spin the cymbals, is there any chance that it could spin during play?
Not really. Both the top and bottom cymbals are tightened down, as opposed to a normal hi-hat where only the top is secured in the clutch.