DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-31-2008, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Thomas Pridgen

:) mad drummer.

but I do love jon thodore. I love that guy's groove.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Aggressivec

When I heard "Wax Simulacra", I was like, "well, this guys pretty nifty with a double pedal". Then I read that he didn't use a double pedal and I shit myself. Thomas delivers chop after chop and slows down. Some drummers will have a chop fest at the beginning of the song and by the end they are totally dragging. Not Mr. Pridgen. The fact is, he is 9 years older then me, yet he plays like he is 100 years better.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 PM

so good.. i think he's definitely one of the best right now, and probably my biggest influence. his style of playing is awesome, and he's doin stuff thats unheard of.. not to mention he's always havin a blast while he plays.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

Funny story:

Many years ago I worked at GC, and we had the drum off. I went to the regional finals, and there was this 9 year old kid representing the Oakland store. He certainly smoked, and was certainly one of the better guys there. At the end of the night, this 9 year kid was named the winner by the judges.

I met the kid a few days later, and then I never heard about him again.

Cut to a few months ago, I get the new Modern Drummer with Thomas Pridgen on the cover. I read the interview, and think he seems interesting. I go online, watch a few videos, and wow, this guy is good. Maybe I should check out the album with The Mars Volta.

Cut to last night, I'm looking for something on the web, and I see a link for an interview with Thomas, and I click it. He starts talking about the drum off he won at 9, and it hits me, this guy IS THAT kid.

Wow!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:25 PM

I saw Thomas play at the Modern Drummer Festival this year and was not impressed. Well, let me clarify... I was impressed by his hand-foot coordination and the speed of his singles. However, that was all he had at this event. He jammed with a few other musicians and a majority of his fills were just those fast single strokes that crescendo and decrescendo. That's it. It felt to me as if he relied on them way too much - no variety.

That's just my humble opinion, though.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:11 AM

I've been a huge TMV fan for sometime and I loved Jon Theodore so when I'd heard Pridgen replaced him I initially didn't like the new guy, but the more I listened to Pridgen's stuff away from TMV the more I grew to like him and respect him as a drummer I mean hes the youngest kid to ever recieve a zildijan sponsorship, he won the GC drumoff when we was super young too (like 10 or 13 i think?) so theres no doubt he has talent and his chops are amazing. Although I still think his playing is too technical for TMV, he's become one of my fav technical drummers.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Gold Member

Thomas at Fresno State Wahlberg Hall.
May 7th.

Can't wait to finally hear Thomas outside of TMV. To make things even cooler, Drumhead61 and I finally get to meet outside of DW, chill and catch a GREAT clinic. Looking forward to it !!
Old 09-30-2009, 03:39 PM

I am wondering if anyone knows what Zildjian cymbal (or cymbal combo) Pridgen is using in the MD 2008 DVD? It's in the traditional ride position and looks to be two cymbals stacked together. The Zildjian.com artist profile does not indicate what it is but its very trashy with almost instant decay (kind of like the Sabian Chopper cymbal only bigger).

Cheers
Derek
Old 10-03-2009, 11:45 PM

18" A Custom EFX Crash, 9" Oriental Splash, 16" Oriental China (x2) (cymbals stacked)

Thats what his Wiki page says... doesn't look like that many on the video though. Whatever it is I want one though.

Edit: I went back and watched it again, Looks like (Bottom to Top) 18'' Oriental China, 9" Oriental Splash, and a 16" EFX Crash.... I may be wrong though
Old 10-04-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet311 View Post
I saw Thomas play at the Modern Drummer Festival this year and was not impressed. Well, let me clarify... I was impressed by his hand-foot coordination and the speed of his singles. However, that was all he had at this event. He jammed with a few other musicians and a majority of his fills were just those fast single strokes that crescendo and decrescendo. That's it. It felt to me as if he relied on them way too much - no variety.

That's just my humble opinion, though.
Yea man, I was there too. His playing was really enjoyable for me, but I think his performance was a bit ruined by his public speaking skills. I'm sure he was nervous as ever though!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Random Name 123

I've watched a few of his videos. Top drummer I'm sure, but I don't like the way he waffles his way around the kit, too random.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

Word around the interweb is he's not doing the gig anymore. Bad news for us Volta fans (who were hip to the Pridgen "era" stuff i.e. it's a contentious topic; who's their better drummer). From what I've been able to find and if my chronology of events is correct. They did a show (their "actual" last show) in Charlotte, N.C. on the 22nd, cancelled the Raleigh show scheduled for the next night during sound check (apparently Pridgen and Zavala got into it), Pridgen got in a cab and left. And Omar, Juan, and Thomas were supposed to play at the Key Club in Hollywood for an event for Bass Player magazine. Pridgen didn't show so Gene Coye filled in. He's apparently removed a bunch of people from his Face Book page as well (not quite sure what the hell that's supposed to mean).

http://bbs.311.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60452

Anymore info on this from any of you cats would be much appreciated, I'd hate to find out that this is true.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone000 View Post
Word around the interweb is he's not doing the gig anymore. Bad news for us Volta fans (who were hip to the Pridgen "era" stuff i.e. it's a contentious topic; who's their better drummer). From what I've been able to find and if my chronology of events is correct. They did a show (their "actual" last show) in Charlotte, N.C. on the 22nd, cancelled the Raleigh show scheduled for the next night during sound check (apparently Pridgen and Zavala got into it), Pridgen got in a cab and left. And Omar, Juan, and Thomas were supposed to play at the Key Club in Hollywood for an event for Bass Player magazine. Pridgen didn't show so Gene Coye filled in. He's apparently removed a bunch of people from his Face Book page as well (not quite sure what the hell that's supposed to mean).

http://bbs.311.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60452

Anymore info on this from any of you cats would be much appreciated, I'd hate to find out that this is true.
Geez he was just on youtube talking about his grammy and how much fun he was having with those guys.

Things change pretty fast I guess...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer View Post
Geez he was just on youtube talking about his grammy and how much fun he was having with those guys.

Things change pretty fast I guess...
I've still got my fingers crossed, they're doing shows in Europe at the end of November, I'll be interested to see who's behind the kit. Damn shame though.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 PM

From what I'm hearing from my teacher, who taught Jon Theodore, Thomas did indeed leave TMV. My teacher, Grant Menefee has told me that on of his other former students is in the lineup to be chosen as the next drummer for TMV. Don't shoot the messenger, as I am unsure how reliable this information is but I thought I'd share it.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

In case anyone's wondering what the cat is up to. So far, delving back into hip hop.

http://www.creativecontrol.tv/www/#/...-13th-trailer/
Old 01-24-2010, 03:12 PM

I was at a gig from TMV in december and it was pretty dissapointing to find out that Pridgen was replaced by some other dude. Actually, I thought that it was just for that evening (I believe cerdic was pretty sick too), but I heard later that pridgen actually left the band...
I'm still hoping it's not true. Isn't there an interview about it anywhere?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 AM

It's true. The Mars Volta have been playing shows with new drummer Dave Elitch for several months now - I saw them myself about a week ago. I was pretty bummed out when I heard the news because I was a great fan of Pridgen and his playing but I will admit that Elitch impressed me. His take on their older material was much closer to the way Jon Theodore played it and he was overall just extremely solid.

Theres an interview with their new drummer at http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=2120
Old 01-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, Thomas and TMV have moved on...my bud and I saw Pridgen in a clinic last May 09 in Fresno and the kid was AWESOME to say the least.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:19 PM

He's still with Christian Scott, correct?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:27 AM

Anyone heard of The Memorials - Thomas Pridgen's new band. It kicks some serious ass.

They are playing live and doing an intimate meet n greet at Sam Ash Torrance, CA on Jun 11, 2010.

Check this link out - http://www.samashmusic.com/events/vi......&StoreID=68

I can't freaking wait for this shit.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Also heard he is playing live with his band THE MEMORIALS on June 12, 2010 at The ROXY on Sunset Blvd...

CAN'T FREAKING WAIT!!!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:51 AM

Please support him and his new band The Memorials:

http://www.facebook.com/thememorials?ref=ts
http://www.facebook.com/ThomasPridgenFanPage?ref=ts
http://twitter.com/thomaspridgen
http://www.myspace.com/thememorialsmusic

Cheers,
Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 AM

Check out the video for The Memorials first single WEST COAST -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V26IO-ya4p0
Old 10-24-2010, 06:43 PM

Hey TP fans.

I just attended a drum clinic put on by Thomas. My goodness, this guy rocks! Definitely one of my favorite drummers now. Of course, I covered the event. There are lots of pics, so I hope you enjoy the article! I encourage anyone to keep tabs locally to ensure that you don't miss going to drum clinics. They're so much fun, cheap (sometimes free!), and you get to be up close to the drummer. Awesome show.

Drum Clinic - Thomas Pridgen
Old 11-15-2010, 09:44 PM

@ JoeLackey

actually he is not with Christian Scott anymore. Jamire Williams is laying down the beats now.