DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 10-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Old Faithfuls

Thought I'd chuck my stuff in here too. I'll post about my Paiste cymbals in the 'Post your Paistes' thread.

The kit was bought by my dad in 1969. It's a Jason kit (bet you never heard of them). I've never seen another one in my life. The badge says 'Jason Worlds Supreme Quality Made in Japan'. It's a wrap which has held up really well and not coming loose anywhere. He was a great drummer and had had various Premier and Drouyn kits but when he heard this one he loved it. The shells are pretty thick, I'd say about 9mm. It had a gray sealer on the inside of the shells, but a few years ago I took to them with some sandpaper and they do have a little lower, fuller sound now.

Sizes are:
13x9, 16x16 and 20x14.

The bass drum hoops were steel with an inlay of the wrap. I bought these wooden hoops for it and man did it make a huge difference to the sound of the drum.

As you can see all the original hardware has been replaced.

The snare is a steel ludwig 400, 14x5. Great drum. I've got Purecussion snares on the bottom. Who would have thought that the quality of the snares could make that much difference to the sound of the drum.

This is the stamp on my 18" Zildjian crash. He also bought it second hand in 1969. I'd like to find out more about it, if anyone can tell anything from the stamp?

And now to make you all cringe

This keyhole was worn into it when he bought it in 1969. So I think it must have been quite a few years old when he got it. None of the other cymbals he got new then have keyholes so I'm sure he didn't do it.

The other cymbals I'll go into more depth in the Paiste thread, but as a breakdown they are
15" Fo602 Sound Edge HH
20" Stambul'65 Ride
18" Fo602 Ride
16" Signiture China High
14" Stambul'65 HH
12" 3000 Splash
18" 101 something or other not pictured.
Here is the link to my post in the 'Post your Paiste' thread
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...4&postcount=60

When I've done this, I'll edit this thread and find out how to put a link to my post in that thread.

And my pride and joy. I wanted a stick bag different from everyone else. I'm an upholsterer and we had some of this fabric lying around after a job. Thought it would be appropriate.

Last edited by goughy; 10-14-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Old Faithfuls

Dude!

I want one of those stick bags! LOL It's too cool.

Cheers!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goughy View Post
The kit was bought by my dad in 1969. It's a Jason kit (bet you never heard of them). I've never seen another one in my life. The badge says 'Jason Worlds Supreme Quality Made in Japan'. It's a wrap which has held up really well and not coming loose anywhere.
Yes sir, you are right.. I never heard of a Jason kit before. I was a little surprised to find out that they are wrapped shells. I really like the kit. It's got a nice throwback look. Stickbag takes the cake.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:55 PM

I forgot to add that I have a 6 lug Olympic snare, 3 ply with reinforcement rings I'm fixing up to add as well. It has double flanged hoops too (I think that's what you call them). I also have an Olympic 26x11.5" bass drum that I want to fix up and hopefully use like a woofer. Could be interesting!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:23 PM

Hey Mate,

Thats a nice old kit you got there, and classic cymbals. I have a '66 Supraphonic the same as yours, and yes its had the throw switch replaced with a later model. I think that was quite common.

BTW Did you know Drouyn are an Australian made drum? I think, and others on here may be able to confirm it, were made from ludwig shells.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 10-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

what a great looking kit. Be proud brother :p

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 10-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Jusstickinaround

I love it! Do you know what kind of wood it's made from? I like how you have the ride mounted to the kick, very cool!
Old 10-14-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerstix_au View Post
Hey Mate,

Thats a nice old kit you got there, and classic cymbals. I have a '66 Supraphonic the same as yours, and yes its had the throw switch replaced with a later model. I think that was quite common.

BTW Did you know Drouyn are an Australian made drum? I think, and others on here may be able to confirm it, were made from ludwig shells.

Cheers,

Andy
I live 2 hours from the old Drouyn factory in Brisbane! My father was taught by the foreman at the Drouyn factory and spent much of his young years in their sweeping the floors. I am sure the shells weren't ludwig. In fact, I have a 13x9 tom sitting next to me and a 22" bass drum at my work. They belong to a mate (who's not a drummer) and I'm hoping to 'inherit' them.

I would love to start a website about Drouyn drums, but there isn't that much out there. I've chatted with some guys on another forum about them. My father flukeily has had contact with the daughter Drouyn but hasn't been in touch since. I was hoping to get some info from her.

But they were Australian made.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:33 AM

Hi I am new to this forum infact to any forum but have been playing drums for some 30 odd years.I am a bit of a collector of instruments and have just been given a set of Drouyn drums 22x14 BD 13x9 rack tom 16x16 floor and metal 14x6 snare this will be a restoration project as the original black oyster wraps were in bad condition. I have removed the wraps to reveal queensland maple shells which I will not recover I will refinsh it in its natural finish. Most of the chrome is in salvagable condition! When this restoration is finished I will post some photos.I have known this kit for 40 years and it will be a pleasure to once again hear them sing.

B,Ford Nowra
Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrumhead777 View Post
Hi I am new to this forum infact to any forum but have been playing drums for some 30 odd years.I am a bit of a collector of instruments and have just been given a set of Drouyn drums 22x14 BD 13x9 rack tom 16x16 floor and metal 14x6 snare this will be a restoration project as the original black oyster wraps were in bad condition. I have removed the wraps to reveal queensland maple shells which I will not recover I will refinsh it in its natural finish. Most of the chrome is in salvagable condition! When this restoration is finished I will post some photos.I have known this kit for 40 years and it will be a pleasure to once again hear them sing.

B,Ford Nowra
I hate you ;) Not, but am as jealous as hell!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Silver Member

...Nice kit you have there.

It's always great to see a kit that has a history.

I also like your stick bag. You have probably heard this from others, but you could probably do a nice side business making and selling them. I know that I would buy one.

Once again, nice kit.

Barry
Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Hard to tell from the stamp any history of the cymbal unless you knew the owner before your dad. I have a 1970 20" Zildjian Med thin Crash and it's the most beautiful sounding crash I've ever owned. and has the identical stamp. Near as I can tell they were made at the plant in Massachussetts and from there it's anyone's guess.

Sweet set though, and very nice cymbal setup.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 05-16-2008, 03:08 PM

I have a made in brisbane COB 14'' Drouyn snare at home! Beaded shell with original throw off! In need of a bit of love but one day i'll make it sing!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:19 AM

Well I have finished the DROUYN restoration almost, the more I dig up about this company the more interesting information I find. This kit initially was delivered to me in a bin (bad condition) black oyster wraps not salvalgable so refinished in natural finnish using Nitro cellulose laquers.Well here are the details on the kit, 4ply construction rose alder inner layer and outer layers being of Queensland maple. Most of the kit is now back to original all external aftermarket fittings removed and holes filled with queensland maple (of course) Bass drum hoops were unrepairable so new ones were made(maple) Remo suedes used to reskin batters and clear remos on resonators. This kit sounds huge if you tune low but can be cranked up to give that jazz zing if required.Will be used very soon for first paying gig in over 15 years for this kit (cant wait)
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

what a great kit, so many people strive for a "vintage" look in everything from ball caps to cars - but your kit's the real deal, a set of dirty blondes with a past that just reeks of long nights, stale beer and countless strange sofa's ;-)
Old 11-01-2009, 07:44 PM

Haha nice stick bag you got there!