DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Default GMAD to replace Powersonic

So. The damping pad thing on my Powersonic has finally completely broken off (It uses 3 plastic press studs, they stay attached OK, but they break away from the material).

I did like the heavily damped sound, but it was maybe a little too dead, especially for unmiked situations.

I was wondering what to replace it with. I'm thinking the new GMAD (had EMAD on my old kit, liked the sound but the foam rings broke off on both batter and reso).

My drum is a virgin 20" x 18" Mapex Pro-M. I have a Customskins remo Ambassador reso with 5" Holz, which obviously I'm not replacing. I don't use any form of in-drum damping, and I play 'Lamb Of God' style metal.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: GMAD to replace Powersonic

Why not an Evans EQ4 or a Remo Powerstroke 3? IMHO the best bass drum heads made. A small rolled up towel against the batter and another against the reso make for a great overall kick drum sound.

Last edited by Doug Masters; 10-30-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
So. The damping pad thing on my Powersonic has finally completely broken off (It uses 3 plastic press studs, they stay attached OK, but they break away from the material).

I did like the heavily damped sound, but it was maybe a little too dead, especially for unmiked situations.

I was wondering what to replace it with. I'm thinking the new GMAD (had EMAD on my old kit, liked the sound but the foam rings broke off on both batter and reso).

My drum is a virgin 20" x 18" Mapex Pro-M. I have a Customskins remo Ambassador reso with 5" Holz, which obviously I'm not replacing. I don't use any form of in-drum damping, and I play 'Lamb Of God' style metal.

Any thoughts?
If you like that heavily dampened sound, which is ok, don't let anyone here tell you otherwise, get the EMAD 2. Its a 2 ply version of the EMAD. It will certainly have that 2 ply muffled bass drum tone, but with a bit more power. With the EMAD 2 you can run the kick wide open for volume and tone, while you select the appropriate heads for what you want.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 AM

Not trying to diss on the EMADS, because i used them and did not have any problems with them, but you always run the risk of the dampening systems on those sorts of heads breaking, like on your powersonic. As suggested, I don't think you could go wrong with the Remo Powerstroke 3, superb head. I used one on my 22" ludwig kick, and waiting for my 24" P3 to come tomorrow to throw on my mapex kick. If you want to go with Evans, I also enjoyed the EQ3, which basically has a big E-Ring inside a slot on the inside of the head, which is what is on my mapex now. nothing but compliments about my kick with the head, great feel and sound.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Gold Member

I would be careful about the EMAD. I love the sound I get with the single ply but that plastic ring just does not last. I know that Evans did attempt to fix the problem but mine still broke. I am now using the PS3 and it sounds very good but I can't seem to get the low end that the Evans gave me. May try the Aquarian Super Kick 1?

I did try the EMAD 2 ply and the Aquarian Super Kick 2 but too dead sounding for me.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:43 PM

I'm getting ready to trade out my powersonic for the GMAD and can't wait to get it. I might also get the EMAD onyx. I'm curious what kind of low end punch i can get out of my 22" maple 3007.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:06 PM

I use an Emad 2 so far so good. I love the sound on my 22 export. I play all styles of music. Usually play un miced as we play smaller venues most of the time. just my 2 cents.