DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Default Click Track, Computers

When I searched, I couldn't find anything specific to what I wanted.

I want to use my laptop (13'' MacBook Pro) to run a click track live. Right now I just want to experiment with it directly to headphones, and maybe later worry about putting it through a system. What I really need is software recommendations. Preferably Free downloadable, but either way. Right now Garage band metronome just isn't cutting it, it's not really designed for that, and it isn't loud enough. Do you have a click track or drum machine software that you use and like and find suited to this need? Thank you.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Click Track, Computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppieNerd View Post
When I searched, I couldn't find anything specific to what I wanted.

I want to use my laptop (13'' MacBook Pro) to run a click track live. Right now I just want to experiment with it directly to headphones, and maybe later worry about putting it through a system. What I really need is software recommendations. Preferably Free downloadable, but either way. Right now Garage band metronome just isn't cutting it, it's not really designed for that, and it isn't loud enough. Do you have a click track or drum machine software that you use and like and find suited to this need? Thank you.
With recording I use Logic's click and just throw a couple gain inserts on the click sound (from the Environment) and bring it to earsplitting. You can also route the click output to a mono out, hit a separate amp and mix it louder into a headphone mix. (eg using the Presonus HP60).

When practicing and just using a metronome - I use the Boss DB-30 which is not cheap (but easily, easily worth the $$$) and it has the most unbelievably loud headphone signal. I don't think I've ever gone past a quarter of the way up on volume.

Neither are free, but the DB30 is a great deal, and Logic Express is also well worth its cost.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

Volume is going to be limited by the output of your laptop's sound card.

You just can't exceed the maximum output volume of your laptop, no matter what the software.

You may just want to get a headphone amp if you really want to hear what is going on while playing drums.
Like this one:

You can also try getting isolation headphones that will block out much of your drums so you can hear the click better.

Or both.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Silver Member

So what programs do you run with for sequencing from say a laptop?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Like other have said a metronome is simple and reliable unless you have tempo changes.
My son uses Guitar Pro when they have tempo changes but thatís just for the studio. Not free program but widely available.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:56 AM

You can download Audacity. It's a free program and you can create your click tracks in there.