DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-22-2009, 09:07 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Ok, ...I"m sure a lot of you have seen my 70's Ludwig 3 ply restoration kit post, but this is just a tad different and wanted to put it here for a bit ...with, another question.....

I want a wide open sound, but...I do have plugs, and using a clear reso could expose those...so I was thinking coated top and bottom. Aquarian Texture Coated ....(I currently use Super2 coated on my birch kit, ....but asked Aquarian and they recommended the TC.)

When I mentioned the coated bottom, I was instruced to go with the Classic Clear for the more open sound .........I know the TC will dry it up just a bit , but it'll look really nice though, ..nice and clean!

Has anyone played TCs top and bottom on a 3 ply Ludwig kit?!?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-24-2009, 04:17 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Ok, forget Ludwig 3ply ...

Has anyone used Aquarian Texture Coated heads, top and bottom ?! On any kit, ...results, thoughts ??

Thanks.......
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2009, 03:06 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

OK ....since no one has played a kit with Aquarian Texture Coateds top and bottom....

How about this ........

Here is what I'm going with, ...if anyone has tried this combo, let me know. Since it was suggested that TCs top and bottom may be too dry ....I came up with another combo that was said could be the ticket ....(by the way, Chris Brady at Aquarian is the man!)

Anyhow ...

TC's on top, ...High Frequency coated on the bottoms ...this way I get my coated bottom, but it's a little thinner than the TCs on top, ..so you still have a warm character from the coated, but you still have the opportunity for the drums to sing!

Nice, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2009, 04:52 PM
mind_drummer's Avatar
mind_drummer mind_drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,413
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
OK ....since no one has played a kit with Aquarian Texture Coateds top and bottom....

How about this ........

Here is what I'm going with, ...if anyone has tried this combo, let me know. Since it was suggested that TCs top and bottom may be too dry ....I came up with another combo that was said could be the ticket ....(by the way, Chris Brady at Aquarian is the man!)

Anyhow ...

TC's on top, ...High Frequency coated on the bottoms ...this way I get my coated bottom, but it's a little thinner than the TCs on top, ..so you still have a warm character from the coated, but you still have the opportunity for the drums to sing!

Nice, eh?

This is the combo I was going write when I scrolled down till your third post. I never tried the combo with coated hi-frequency reso but someone on another forum who tried it was really satisfied with the result.
__________________
TAMA - DW - AQUARIAN - SABIAN - ZILDJIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - VATER

My Kit Latest Update
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-26-2009, 02:02 PM
drumhammerer drumhammerer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 425
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

well, every drumset is different, so you may never know until you try them on your particular set. I've never used the Aquarian tc's, but on my Lud 6 plies I'm running some Attack coated mediums as resos and coated emperors on the batters, and those drums sing with this combo. I would imagine single ply coated on both sides would really sing. I've also ran the singly ply coated resos on my thin shelled kellers, and they sang on those too. The resonance seems more pure to me, without the overtones you can get with clear resos. They probably don't ring out as long as the clear single ply, but I didn't notice a significant drop in resonance with the coated ones, and that's with a 2 ply batter. The Aquarian coating is different though, so those may be a little drier than comparable brands.

I think the thinner coated reso would be a good idea to try. I've had good results with thinner resos in the past, but those were clear. I'd be interested in trying some thinner coated resos for the increased sensitivity.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Drumhammerer, ...thanks, ...that's a great post! I'm going with the TCs on top and HF on the bottom (coated)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2009, 04:24 PM
TheArchitect
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Ok, ...I"m sure a lot of you have seen my 70's Ludwig 3 ply restoration kit post, but this is just a tad different and wanted to put it here for a bit ...with, another question.....

I want a wide open sound, but...I do have plugs, and using a clear reso could expose those...so I was thinking coated top and bottom. Aquarian Texture Coated ....(I currently use Super2 coated on my birch kit, ....but asked Aquarian and they recommended the TC.)

When I mentioned the coated bottom, I was instruced to go with the Classic Clear for the more open sound .........I know the TC will dry it up just a bit , but it'll look really nice though, ..nice and clean!

Has anyone played TCs top and bottom on a 3 ply Ludwig kit?!?

Thanks!
You might consider the white suedes from Remo. They are closer to clears in sound but would hide your repair work nicely
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,349
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Hey Drumhammerer,
What do you run on your 6-ply bassdrum? Just curious.
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Shedboyxx's Avatar
Shedboyxx Shedboyxx is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 690
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
OK ....since no one has played a kit with Aquarian Texture Coateds top and bottom....

[The following is all about toms]

I have on my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau. The drums sounded great. Granted it's been tough to make them sound anything but good or better. ;)

Right now I have coated Evans G2's over Aquarian TC coated and they sound good as well. The coated over coated solution is warmer than clears but attenuates the highs a bit. On an older vintage style kit this may or may not be what you want.


HTH

JIm
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Tylerdrums109 Tylerdrums109 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Bedford Massachusettes
Posts: 321
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Ebony Reso's?


20202020
__________________
Kit: Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Fusion =]
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-04-2009, 02:37 PM
drumhammerer drumhammerer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 425
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Hey Drumhammerer,
What do you run on your 6-ply bassdrum? Just curious.
Well, I've been very inconsistent with my 6 ply bass drum heads. I bought a bunch of heads from a guy off of Craig's list, and I seem to swich up quite a bit. I have a 22 and a 24. At the moment, I'm running a coated powerstroke 4 on both with the regular PS3 resos. These kicks get a great punchy/round sound with these heads. I tend to run this combo when I'm playing slower stuff, or lower volume stuff. Now, if I'm playing louder gigs with more double bass, I'll switch to the PS3 (mostly coated) with a rolled up towel inside for more definition on the 22. On the 24, I really like the regular coated ambassador with the rolled up towel for good volume and definition. These kicks seem to lack attack, so you've got to work to get definition from them, otherwise they can be difficult to hear within a loud band. The rolled up towel gives them the additional attack that the 3 plies seem to inherently have.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-09-2009, 10:08 AM
DrewTheShoe's Avatar
DrewTheShoe DrewTheShoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 309
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

If worse comes to worse, you could also use Remo Smooth Whites as resos. They're like a mid-way between clear and coated, and have that snazzy white look you're after ;]
__________________
Remo, Tama, Ludwig, and Zildjian?
Doesn't get much better than that...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTheShoe View Post
If worse comes to worse, you could also use Remo Smooth Whites as resos. They're like a mid-way between clear and coated, and have that snazzy white look you're after ;]

TC's on top, and Hi Frequency on the bottom....coated.....

sounds great, and looks clean!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Spinozalove Spinozalove is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 144
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Ok, forget Ludwig 3ply ...

Has anyone used Aquarian Texture Coated heads, top and bottom ?! On any kit, ...results, thoughts ??

Thanks.......
Hi... I have Aquarian TC currently on both top and bottom of my Ludwig Classic Maple. It sounds lovely. Very warm, quite a lot of low end, and very responsive. I do a lot of brush work so that is what I need. I think the coating removes most of the bright overtones that you would get with a clear reso head. I think next time I change the batters I will try Modern Vintage, and keep the Texture Coated on the reso side.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-20-2009, 02:37 AM
shotbreak shotbreak is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7
Default Re: 3 ply Ludwig - Aquarian

Hey guys, new guy here! I am glad to see that other drummers are running coated reso's on there rigs. I have used attack heads for quite a while and I have had a great deal success with them. They got several compliments from soundmen and engineers alike.
__________________
Furtuna Fortes Juvat
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com