DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 PM

Default Best drum mic set?

I know that many DW members have got lots of experience with mics etc. and I need your advice.

The problem - I have an AKG box set with D112 + 4 clip-on condensers. The D112 never lets me down but the condensers are easily damaged. I take a lot of care setting up/taking down and have never hit 'em with a stick. Even so every two or three gigs one of 'em dies (usually the skinny cable connection fails, sealed in the mic capsule so dealer only job). So I want to swap for more robust mics. I prefer clip-ons to avoid stand clutter but if possible with XLR connectors no more thin cables!

I've seen mic box-sets from 100 to 1000 - in your experience are the expensive ones really that different / worth it? The kit is a Mapex Mbirch - 22x18 kick, 4 toms (8, 10, 12, 14), Pearl Steve Ferrone snare. 1 ride, up to 4 crash and hats.

Thanks in anticipation of your help,

Richard
Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Best drum mic set?

Go to samash.com I got a seven piece mic set from a company called Samson I have two overheads three clip on tom mics clip on snare mic and kick mic for 200$ They use XLR connectors I have used them at a few gigs and the sound guy said they sounded great in fact one of them got a set for him self. The nice thing is its a great price and they sound great. so far they have been very robust. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 09-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesdog View Post
Go to samash.com I got a seven piece mic set from a company called Samson I have two overheads three clip on tom mics clip on snare mic and kick mic for 200$ They use XLR connectors I have used them at a few gigs and the sound guy said they sounded great in fact one of them got a set for him self. The nice thing is its a great price and they sound great. so far they have been very robust. Hope this helps.
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegorySA-10001

thats the link

Old 09-25-2009, 01:52 AM
Platinum Member

I would recommend Audix D-series mics. I got a pack of them a LONG time ago (like, 10 years ago), and they've never failed me. It came with a D-1, two D-2s, and a D-4. GREAT mics!

I'd recommend, with your setup, two D-1s (for the 8" and 10" toms), two D-2s (for the 12" and 14" toms), and an I-5 for the snare.

Stay far away from CAD, Samson, Nady, and Digital Reference...they are known to have problems, and not sound so good to begin with. I've had experience with all of them, and can verify that it's true...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

You would do better to pick mics a la carte, instead of getting a boxed set.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

If you want a set. Beyerdynamic L or XL set

Or the Shure DMK57 kit, thats a nice kit to.

I'm building a set with a Beta52 kickmic, sm57 or its Beta for the main snare with an internal May sm57 for bottom micing, some Beta 98 d/s on toms and and sidesnare. For the floor a Beta 52 or 56. Still thinking what to get as OH's and hh mics.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I would recommend Audix D-series mics. I got a pack of them a LONG time ago (like, 10 years ago), and they've never failed me. It came with a D-1, two D-2s, and a D-4. GREAT mics!

I'd recommend, with your setup, two D-1s (for the 8" and 10" toms), two D-2s (for the 12" and 14" toms), and an I-5 for the snare.

Stay far away from CAD, Samson, Nady, and Digital Reference...they are known to have problems, and not sound so good to begin with. I've had experience with all of them, and can verify that it's true...
I have heard very bad things about CAD. The samsons have been good so far. I do use an SM57 on my snare at least I have one real mic(haha) My brother has a recording studio and he will somtimes send me tracks without drums I will record my drums with about 5 to 10 diffrent versions of said song. That way his clients can pick out what they like. Then I pack up the kit go over and record. But in these finacial times there not bad. they do the job

Old 09-30-2009, 02:38 AM

Have not tried all mics, yet my faves right now are the Earthworks due to their very fast responce, accuracy, ability to handle high SPL and wide fequency range. Am currently using a pair of their M30BX for the entire set (minimal mic'ing technique), yet they do sell a more normal multi-mic package www.earthworksaudio.com/29.html
Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Platinum Member

A running thing on the Pro Sound Web (this is a forum of the pro sound guys doing all the big shows and various small operators) is newbies coming on asking for the best kick mic. There's a new thread every week or so. Always a matter of taste. The standards seem to be the Beta 52 and 91, Audix D6 and AKG D112. Each has a different sound. I have a B52 which is kind of in between the D6 and AKG. Don't have the Audix but I also have a D112 which works great on more natural sounding kicks, jazz and also bass amps. I can approximate the D6 sound with the Rane parametric I have in my FOH rack. I have a small (15kW) sound company and do corporate and street fair types of gigs.

The small clip on Sennheisers are the best overall tom mics I've found. Sometimes you get folks who want 421s on either the toms or kick. Or an RE20 on the kick for a jazz outfit (usually this mic is reserved for sax).

I have an AT mic pack that works well enough as touch up mics on toms when I don't have the Senn's with me, or I'm worried about someone smacking them.

I don't like CAD mics that much. I had their drum pack for one day. Used it to mic up my kit that night, had someone sit in, and took it back to GC the very next day. But I do have a pair of GXL1200's that work really well as overheads. Especially if I'm not micing all the toms. I have a pair of matched Ocktiva's from the SoundLab that are awesome for recording cymbals as overheads. But the CAD's have the body for the toms. You get a fairly natural sound of the whole kit. Often all I do is put the B52 in the kick, an SM57 (or Beta 57) on the snare, and a single GXL1200 as overhead somewhere in the middle of the kit. If someone is really weak on their hats, I'll put one over there as well.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM

Great response guys thank you. From Caddywumpus' comment about 10yr reliability of Audix I'm definitely going to have a look at them, presumably they're available in UK.

Thtst - just overheads and a kick! It'd be nice to have such a minimal set up - is it easy to get positions right? Does this only work with Earthworks (like are they especially good)?

Thanks everyone,

Richard
Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiQmaN View Post
I'm building a set with a Beta52 kickmic, sm57 or its Beta for the main snare with an internal May sm57 for bottom micing, some Beta 98 d/s on toms and and sidesnare. For the floor a Beta 52 or 56. Still thinking what to get as OH's and hh mics.
I'd say for overheads you might want to look into some AKG 414's. I've had those thrown on just about every recording session I've done with great results.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Child View Post
THTST - just overheads and a kick! It'd be nice to have such a minimal set up - is it easy to get positions right? Does this only work with Earthworks (like are they especially good)?
Richard
No no, JUST TWO mic's in front of the set and that is it. Seriously. Color me purist.

i tried various two-mic techniques such as X-Y, ORFT, NOS and in the end chose spaced mics and this is where the Earthworks seem to work best (imho). Took me EIGHT HOURS to finally find the right technique/positions mainly due to being here alone. That means i had to set the mics in a position, play/record, then listen back to the recording. Wash, rinse, repeat until best position was achieved. Would have saved me about 4+ hours had there been a friend here to play live and i sent the live mic feed to my reference monitors/system located in another room.

This technique can work with various mics and of course one should try other techniques as previously mentioned. And yes, the Earthworks are very good and extremely accurate. They are not colored (as much) as fabled vintage Teles/Neumann/etc and others mics. Nowadays you could add coloration to mimic to a good degree those fabled mics using plug-ins. My choice is zero manipulation, zero effects, minimal mic'ing, etc. It may "sound less good" as the Pop/Rap/etc high-gloss flashy big dollar production many hear on commercial releases, yet it is pure and very honest/accurate. And no, you can't just fix only the bass drum, cymbals, etc on their own as can easily be accomplshed with a 10+ channel drumset capture in the mix. You had better get it all right the first time or go home. No fix it in the mix as it were.

FYI: In the future i may buy or rent a Neumann binaural http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=c...00_description because so many people listen to music using their iPod/Zune/etc nowadays and placing that would be easy (i hope!).

Steven
www.THTST.com

Last edited by thtst; 10-10-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:12 PM

THTST - thanks Steven, purist indeed! Thanks for your comments, my band are preparing to record some snippets for our web-site so there's an opportunity to try non-close mic'd kit. For live stuff I guess I'll still use clip-ons as they are probably quicker / easier.

Cheers,

Richard
Old 10-10-2009, 01:09 PM

Richard,

Always glad to help and yes for live gigs the 'game' changes. My partner Linda was asking my why i did not have a plexiglas shield in front of my kit like we see all the time at video studios (TV shows, etc) sessions and i explained to her that during my solo album it was not necessary as there is no instrument leakage due to other musicians so such isolation was not necessary.

A live event where the musician's instrument sound emanates further apart from each other (enclosed venues with larger stage, stadium, etc) of course would eliminate the need for the plexi and again use a mic technique that is different than what is being employed here at the moment.

Steven
www.THTST.com
Old 10-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I am a proponent of a minimal setup for beginners. Personally, I pretty much record everything with just an XY - I recorded an orchestra with an XY last year and it worked!

The less microphones you have, the more likely you are that you're going to spend time learning to use them properly. The basic principles don't change. Invest in a pair of high-quality overheads and then work from there.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

keep your d112. get 3 shure sm57's: one for the snare, one between the 8 and 10, one between the 12 and 14. Get 2 akg perception 170's. SM57's are versatile instrument mics that are industry standard for off axis rejection and work well even with extreme spl's. The p170's work great in xy or space pair and have a built in -20db pad. If you're using the mics to record, also get a couple of mxl 990's as room mics, they're cheap and they catch reverb wonderfully. GT= $740 USD retail for those 7 mics @MF

Last edited by diosdude; 10-13-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Update since my last post about my band recording, we ended up with less time than planned and I was out-voted so the engineer stuck with the close micing + 2 overheads. But at least the band agreed to try different set ups next time.

Everyone, once again thanks for your interest and help, DW is an amazing community.

Richard
Old 10-15-2009, 12:54 AM

I'd recommend getting an SM57 for each drum except the bass drum. You can get Shure A56D mic mounts for them too. For the bass drum, I would get an Audix D6 bass drum mic, or if you want to spend even more money, get the Yamaha SubKick

Thats just for the drums. This past weekend my company that I work for did a gig for a church and used SM57's for the overheads, and worked excellent, but I wouldn't recommend that. I would use these bad-boys as overheads, the MXL 993 pencil condensers.

Hope I helped!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:09 AM

I have read about akg c 518 condensers earlier and consider to buy 3 x akg d40 for toms. D112 for kick and 2x c451b for overheads. Tomorrow i should have these microphones, i hope that i will not regret the choise i made. What do you think guys?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
The small clip on Sennheisers are the best overall tom mics I've found.
e 604's? - http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/242/42

Will second the above quote. XLR connection on mic body, no lead wires to cause problems.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Some light reading which may help too..

http://blog.discmakers.com/2009/10/drum-mic-showdown/