DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Silver Member

Default Choosing a Reso head for smaller toms.

Hello there drummers, I have a drum head question for you, I have a Sonor 3007, and on my bigger toms I have coated emp on top and coated ambass on the bottom, I recently came into contact with a 10 and 12 inch tom, so my question is I'm going with the coated emps on top again but with the smaller toms should I go with the clear ambass on the bottom or the coated?
And why?
Thanks alot I appreciate any info.

Cheers.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Choosing a Reso head for smaller toms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdoog View Post
Hello there drummers, I have a drum head question for you, I have a Sonor 3007, and on my bigger toms I have coated emp on top and coated ambass on the bottom, I recently came into contact with a 10 and 12 inch tom, so my question is I'm going with the coated emps on top again but with the smaller toms should I go with the clear ambass on the bottom or the coated?
And why?
Thanks alot I appreciate any info.

Cheers.
Some people say the coating makes the sound warmer but many debate this. Ambassadors are commonly used reso heads, but if you want to try and level the sustain you should use a thicker 1-ply head (the only one I know of anymore are Evans G-Pluses) to increase the amount of sustain and warmth you can get out of the drum.

More material to resonate = more resonance/sustain. You'd be just fine with using Ambassadors though... Whether they were coated or clear. You can experiment with either to see if you can hear a difference.