DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-30-2009, 01:52 PM

Default Head fit on the tom shell

I have been using Evans heads exclusivly on my Cat Maple drums but now I am starting to think something is wrong with either the heads, or my shells, First, the drums when tuned sound awesome, at least to my ear but I just dont think I should be going to extensive lengths to tune them, like I have in the past. So here's the dopey question that I am almost hesitant to ask. How snug should heads fit on the shells? Should there be any play between the shell edge and the metal rim of the head( right now there is )I. Do Evans heads fit differently than Remo? I have been having some minor tuning issues and began to focus in on this as a possible cause. I have never owned a real high end kit so I'm not sure if this is a normal condition. I seriously hope that its not my shells since I just can't afford a new kit. I have already checked the shells for roundness and they are fine as well as the bearing edges. Any help here? I am seriously frustrated!!!!!!!

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 09-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Head fit on the tom shell

I have Gretsch Renowns and I know that there is some play in the heads when put on the shell. Not a lot but some. I have used mostly Evans, and currently have Remo Fiberskyns and they both have play.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:15 PM

Yeah, I have the same play and I am prettey sure that it's normal after watching several videos.

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 09-30-2009, 02:33 PM
"Uncle Larry"

If they fit real tight that would be an issue, they should rotate easily on the bearing edge without any sticking. Your shells sound fine. I had problems w/ Gretsch' 5 lug tuning on the racks, I never could get a pure tone from tapping near the lugs it seemed. I wish Gretsch used an even number of lugs on their smaller toms, I might still have them.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:20 PM

They do have even lugs now. My 10 & 12 in are both 6 lugs.

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 09-30-2009, 06:14 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
If they fit real tight that would be an issue, they should rotate easily on the bearing edge without any sticking. Your shells sound fine. I had problems w/ Gretsch' 5 lug tuning on the racks, I never could get a pure tone from tapping near the lugs it seemed. I wish Gretsch used an even number of lugs on their smaller toms, I might still have them.
I agree on the above concerning head fit. My Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit's shell to head fitness is even a bit looser than my other kits.

I've only had my Gretsch Renowns for about 8 months but I've never experienced what you're saying about getting the heads in tune with themselves. I run Evans G2 clear over G1 clear and although I might have to touch-up the tension rods from time to time, I can get the same tone from each rod on any drum when they're tuned correctly. Maybe a bad bearing edge? I was somewhat sceptical when I bought my Renowns concerning the 5 rods on their rack toms, but that went away quickly the first time I tensioned the heads.

Dennis
Old 09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

make sure your hoops are flat and true. Try tuning up and leave them there for an hour and then come back and detune just below where you want them, then tune them.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Bottom line here is, never listen to bad advice from well meaning Guru's. Guilty as charged.

Gretsch and Paiste