DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-19-2009, 12:51 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Arthritis?

Hey guys,

I recently gained me some arthritis in my left big toe. This is quite a problem for me, cause a lot of the music I play requires double bass. It's not stopping me from playing it, but aside from near constant pain it has made my left foot a bit more sloppy. It sucks, especially cause I'm only 19. My doctor said it's unlikely to get worse, and I'm no more likely to get arthritis anywhere else than before, but it could last for the rest of my life.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences this or similar problems, and how you cope with it? I'm gonna re-evaluate my technique to see if I can make playing any easier on my foot, so any suggestions might help.

Thanks guys.

T

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Arthritis?

i used to get it in my knees pretty bad & my doctor put it down to not warming up those joints properly before i played.Was put onto some mild medication & tried not to jam in cold conditions,but havent had it in a coupla years.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Banned

30 years of martial arts and many broken bones have left me with arthritis. I just keep moving. I have it in some knuckles, ankles, spine etc.

Not much fun. Was taking glucosamine for a while but realised it's a take and gave it up.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Pioneer Member

Thanks guys, I'm trying to keep it moving as often as possible, but it's actually worsened considerably. I walked a 30 minute walk in an hour today, just to try and get used to walking on it, but it's not looking great. I'm just glad I can still drum with it, but I think I'm gonna have to use just my ankles to lose the pain.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll try warm up as much as I can from now on, and hopefully it'll go away. Much appreciated guys.

T Dawg.

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 09-22-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin View Post
Thanks guys, I'm trying to keep it moving as often as possible, but it's actually worsened considerably. I walked a 30 minute walk in an hour today, just to try and get used to walking on it, but it's not looking great. I'm just glad I can still drum with it, but I think I'm gonna have to use just my ankles to lose the pain.
T Dawg.
Are you under a podiatrist? If not go back to your GP and ask for a referral and whilst your at it ask to be referred to a chiropodist if you haven't got one of those either. There are lots of things that can be done to ensure that your footwear is correct and sometimes it can be modified/remade to give you support where you need it. Let them know that you drum because they might have some experience. Sorry but it won't take the arthritis away but it might make it a bit more bearable.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 AM

Hi Tutin,

Well, it is common problem facing by many personalities over here. I had been suffering from Arthritis since 5 years.Treatment options vary depending on the type of arthritis and include Physical therapy, lifestyle changes (including exercise and weight control), orthopedic bracing, medications and dietary supplements (symptomatic or targeted at the disease process causing the arthritis). Arthroplasty (joint replacement surgery) may be required in eroding forms of arthritis.I hope all is well in these life's.

Thanks