DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Tamascb10's Avatar
Tamascb10 Tamascb10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 96
Default DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Ok, I've played both pedals and they both feel the same for me. I can get both at the same price and I'm kinda lost. I like both, but I can't choose.

The Iron Cobras are great, and so are the DW's. I think It was the Turbo's?
I'de have to check. But the IC is the powerglide, and the only problem I have Is I want both speed and hard hits. The DW seems like it can do both with those MASSIVE beaters, but the Iron Cobras seemed to hit hard too.

help.
__________________

Death Metal will live forever
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-03-2008, 11:27 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

I've played both quite a bit and own a 5000 (accelerator)...and I like the DW pedal much, much better. I use an Iron Cobra felt beater though...such an awesome combination!

IMO - the DW is every bit as good in the quality dept. and the action on it is much better. I'd go DW.

What you do with the pedal will ultimately be technique...not which pedal you buy...so don't purchase one or the other thinking it will make you hit faster or harder. Get the one that feels best to you and you feel is the best bang for your buck...both are great.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Ironcobra's Avatar
Ironcobra Ironcobra is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,209
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Both are great, however I feel the Iron Cobra is more solid and built to last, but both are very smooth and quick. Pearl and Tama have increased the price of the IC's and eliminators by $40, and I believe DW has lowered their prices.

Maybe now is the time to buy DW?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Mikey Dangerous's Avatar
Mikey Dangerous Mikey Dangerous is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 268
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Tough call since both are very good pedals. I preferred the 5002 because the IC felt too heavy, but I really hated the heel plate of the DW because I play in socks and it hurt my heels - I'll assume you play in shoes and therefore won't have this problem. It really comes down to which has the best FEEL for YOU. Just out of curiousity, have you tried the DW 8002 or 9002? I've tried all of the above and I noticed a huge improvement over the 5002 with the 8002 and 9002. They're a little bit more expensive but they are a lot smoother and felt stronger/sturdier as well.
Oh, and try to buy used. You'd be surprised how much money you can save and still buy gear that's in mint condition.

Hope that helps,

Mike
__________________
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute (recording); Tama Artstar II Birdseye Maple (live)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,751
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I've played both quite a bit and own a 5000 (accelerator)...and I like the DW pedal much, much better. I use an Iron Cobra felt beater though...such an awesome combination!

IMO - the DW is every bit as good in the quality dept. and the action on it is much better. I'd go DW.

What you do with the pedal will ultimately be technique...not which pedal you buy...so don't purchase one or the other thinking it will make you hit faster or harder. Get the one that feels best to you and you feel is the best bang for your buck...both are great.
2nd this opinion!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Dangerous View Post
Tough call since both are very good pedals. I preferred the 5002 because the IC felt too heavy, but I really hated the heel plate of the DW because I play in socks and it hurt my heels - I'll assume you play in shoes and therefore won't have this problem. It really comes down to which has the best FEEL for YOU. Just out of curiousity, have you tried the DW 8002 or 9002? I've tried all of the above and I noticed a huge improvement over the 5002 with the 8002 and 9002. They're a little bit more expensive but they are a lot smoother and felt stronger/sturdier as well.
Oh, and try to buy used. You'd be surprised how much money you can save and still buy gear that's in mint condition.

Hope that helps,

Mike
Funny that with the 9000. When I got my 5000 I tried out everything else I could get my hands on, including the 9000 and I really didn't like it - too heavy and smooth, I felt detached from playing it.. Horses and courses, etc, but it just felt 'too' smooth. Really I think a lot of this 'high-end' pedal stuff is actually purely a ploy to part you with your money. I still have my old Pearl P-100 Double and whilst the action on that pedal isn't as good as my DW5000, I could quite happily be playing it as my main pedal, it's really excellent. Well made and reliable and whilst not flash I occasionally play it and still think it's really good.

So, just because you want a high end pedal doesn't necessarily mean you need one. If you can get what you want out of the pedal you currently own, there is little need to upgrade.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM
hateplow's Avatar
hateplow hateplow is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 994
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

I have owned both, and prefer the 5000. I always would whack the top of my feet with the Iron Cobras if I wore no shoes. If I adjusted the cam axis to prevent that, the pedal just didn't feel as responsive. The 5000s are a VERY solid choice.
I felt the same way about the 9000 as mediocrefunkybeat at first, but after owning Iron cobras, 5000s and 8000s, I have a new respect for the adjustment capabilities and ultra-light response.
__________________

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

I agree w/ MFB on the 9000, I like the 5000 much better. It feels more like a part of your foot...somehow more easily controllable. I have a friend here in town who plays a 9000 double pedal and the pedal is the worst part of his kit, IMO. It's *too* responsive.

Mikey - I play in socks too but my heel doesn't hurt...maybe try not slamming your foot down? If that's not it, what else are you doing that would cause this?

I agree about buying used, too. You can get these pedals for half the price sometimes, on eBay.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 PM
7DaysToTheWolves's Avatar
7DaysToTheWolves 7DaysToTheWolves is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 126
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

I'm very pleased with my IC's but at first they felt a bit too loose and didn't give much of a punch, it felt like my feet were all up and down the pedals. I did adjust the pedals recently and now they're tighter and feel perfect for me.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Mikey Dangerous's Avatar
Mikey Dangerous Mikey Dangerous is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 268
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Funny that with the 9000. When I got my 5000 I tried out everything else I could get my hands on, including the 9000 and I really didn't like it - too heavy and smooth, I felt detached from playing it.. Horses and courses, etc, but it just felt 'too' smooth. Really I think a lot of this 'high-end' pedal stuff is actually purely a ploy to part you with your money. I still have my old Pearl P-100 Double and whilst the action on that pedal isn't as good as my DW5000, I could quite happily be playing it as my main pedal, it's really excellent. Well made and reliable and whilst not flash I occasionally play it and still think it's really good.

So, just because you want a high end pedal doesn't necessarily mean you need one. If you can get what you want out of the pedal you currently own, there is little need to upgrade.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I very much preferred the extra smoothness and feel of the 9000, even though I didn't really like the DW's that much overall. While I agree that a good part of the high-end pedal "stuff" is gimmicky and marketing at it finest to get drummers to part with their money, there is also a noticeable difference when comparing the 5000 to the 8000 or 9000 so there is some validity to it as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi
Mikey - I play in socks too but my heel doesn't hurt...maybe try not slamming your foot down? If that's not it, what else are you doing that would cause this?

I agree about buying used, too. You can get these pedals for half the price sometimes, on eBay.
The DW pedals were the only ones that hurt my heels because of the metal teeth-like design they use for grip on their heel plates. It's not that I slam my foot down at all, but I play heel-toe when trying to get double strokes or faster strokes with my pedals and to do that you need to bring your heel down to get the first stroke. It didn't bother me at all when playing regular bass drum patterns (I.E. not heel-toe) because my heel doesn't touch the pedal.

I recently acquired the Axis A Longboards double-pedal which has helped me a lot. I tried all of the "good" pedals before deciding on these and I chose them because they helped me get more consistency with my left foot and a little more longevity before my calves would get tired. I also have really big feet (US size 13), and the longboards really help out there because the longer footboard enables me to get a much better heel stroke than "standard" pedals did. They're hands-down the smoothest pedals I've ever played and I really appreciate the smoothness and feel they provide. Very adjustable and lightweight to boot. Again, different strokes for different folks.

As far as standard pedals go, the Pearl Eliminators were my favourite for sure. I liked them better than all of the DW's, the IC, the Yamaha Flying Dragon, Gibraltars, etc. AND they are more adjustable and also less expensive to give you a better value. I might still get a pair of Elims for my second kit at some point.

...And yes Zambizzi, buying used is definitely the way to go. Ebay, Craigslist, Kijiji, etc. are all great resources because you can often find very gently used gear at much lower prices than buying new from a store. I bought my Axis pedals new because I wanted the less-common Classic Black finish and also got a really good deal from a store in the US (not much more than used ones would sell for).
__________________
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute (recording); Tama Artstar II Birdseye Maple (live)

Last edited by Mikey Dangerous; 09-04-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Class A Drummer's Avatar
Class A Drummer Class A Drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,219
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

At the moment, my favorite pedals are Iron Cobras, with DW Beaters.

Thats what i think you should try out.
__________________
"If they tell you no pain no gain... shoot them." -Jim Chapin
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-05-2008, 12:14 AM
Tamascb10's Avatar
Tamascb10 Tamascb10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 96
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
At the moment, my favorite pedals are Iron Cobras, with DW Beaters.

Thats what i think you should try out.
No, i'm using my Yamaha wood beaters I have left over from my P-122P. Although these pedals were probably the most amazing pedals for the money (they were like $100) I don't feel right with them. They just don't do it for me.

And, I want to keep my pedal cost under $350, think I could get a set of Elims for that much (perferably powershifter models, I love that).
__________________

Death Metal will live forever
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-05-2008, 01:25 AM
blink44
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

i prefer dw > iron cobras.
thats just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
gmrakich gmrakich is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,272
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Iron Cobra with a DW spring and a Danmar Felt beater ftw.
__________________
More Drums Than God.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Mikey Dangerous's Avatar
Mikey Dangerous Mikey Dangerous is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 268
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamascb10 View Post
No, i'm using my Yamaha wood beaters I have left over from my P-122P. Although these pedals were probably the most amazing pedals for the money (they were like $100) I don't feel right with them. They just don't do it for me.

And, I want to keep my pedal cost under $350, think I could get a set of Elims for that much (perferably powershifter models, I love that).
You can definitely get a set of Elims for that price. They sell for $280 here in Canada, so they must be that price, if not cheaper, in the US. I believe all Elims are Powershifters. Great pedals!!
__________________
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute (recording); Tama Artstar II Birdseye Maple (live)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-06-2008, 12:13 AM
yjb63's Avatar
yjb63 yjb63 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PEI Canada
Posts: 172
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

I tried the ICs and the DWs in store and liked the IC more, but thats just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-06-2008, 03:15 AM
metal overlord's Avatar
metal overlord metal overlord is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Id take the Iron Cobras, but thats just me.

Personally they DWs feel bulky and clunky
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-08-2008, 04:10 AM
metal overlord's Avatar
metal overlord metal overlord is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Oh and by the way those 5000s at Sam Ash were DW5002A (accelerators).

Yea, those did feel ok.
Anyway though, I'de still take the Cobras.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 AM
paradiddle's Avatar
paradiddle paradiddle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 56
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
I have owned both, and prefer the 5000. I always would whack the top of my feet with the Iron Cobras if I wore no shoes. If I adjusted the cam axis to prevent that, the pedal just didn't feel as responsive. The 5000s are a VERY solid choice.
lol! so I'm not the only one? :) Yeah, It doesn't take many of those hits before you strap on a nicely paded pair of shoes whenever using the Iron Cobra! I'm looking to sell mine and pick up a DW5002.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-07-2009, 06:07 AM
wy yung's Avatar
wy yung wy yung is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,979
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Just a thought. The pedals that most often come in for repair are DW's and Iron Cobras. The DW 9000 is notorious. Hard to fix as well.

I got a demon drive and it's amazing.
__________________
" Those who know, do not speak.
Those who speak, do not know."
Lao Tzu
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-07-2009, 11:47 PM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: DW 5002 vs Iron Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Dangerous View Post
You can definitely get a set of Elims for that price. They sell for $280 here in Canada, so they must be that price, if not cheaper, in the US. I believe all Elims are Powershifters. Great pedals!!
Wait WHAT?! Do you mean the double pedal? Last time I checked, here in Canada, Iron Cobras are around $450, Eliminators are about $440, and DW 5002s are something like $550! Even Trick Big Foots are more expensive, they're about $1050.

Everything is more expensive here, except for some reason, cymbals, although that depends on the brand. Zildjian is WAY cheaper here (I've seen K and K Custom series rides for at least $100 cheaper than in the US), but Paiste and Meinl are like 200% of the cost in the US!

Example? This is a pricing email I got back from a drum shop here in Toronto:

Zildjian

14" A Custom Hats ------291.99

16" A Custom Crash -------175.95

17" A Custom Crash--------192.99

18" A Custom Crash--------206.99

22" A Custom Ride----------284.99

18" A custom china -------214.99


Paiste

Signature Dark Crisp Hats 14---- 799.99

Sig Full Crash 17-----------572.00

Sig Full Crash 19-----------664.00

Sig Dark Metal Ride 22---- 609.95


Meinl


Byzance Dark Hats 14-----449.99

Byzance Dark Crash 17---319.99

Byzance Dark Ride 21---------475.00

Byzance Dark Stadium Ride 22----------520.00



I'm actually going to make a thread about this weird price thing...
__________________
My Kit
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com