DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM
stillgroovin's Avatar
stillgroovin stillgroovin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York state of mind.
Posts: 365
Default Evans batter head question.

Hi all. I am presently playing G2's over G1's on all my maple toms. Although I like the sound I was wondering , if anyone who has used the G1 over G! setup likes it better, and why. I was contemplating switching but need some input from those of you that have used this setup before and like it, or don't like it.
__________________
Never trust a smiling dog!

Gretsch and Paiste
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-30-2009, 06:18 PM
timmdrum's Avatar
timmdrum timmdrum is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 732
Default Re: Evans batter head question.

I currently have G1 top & bottom on my Mapex Pro-M maple toms. Bottom heads slightly tighter than the tops. Golden. Slightly louder, clearer & more resonant than double-ply batters, although I've used those and liked them too.
__________________
My player site
My instructor site
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Moldy's Avatar
Moldy Moldy is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tacoma, WA, US
Posts: 678
Default Re: Evans batter head question.

The theory is that thinner heads produce allow more resonance, and a fuller tone, but at the cost of volume and durability.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,612
Default Re: Evans batter head question.

There is nothing wrong with the durability of G1s. I much preferred G1s to G2s from Evans, being that they have a broad tuning range and have a better tone. I'm not an Evans fan anymore (mainly because of the limited selection) but the only head I would buy from them would still be G1s.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
timmdrum's Avatar
timmdrum timmdrum is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 732
Default Re: Evans batter head question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy View Post
The theory is that thinner heads produce allow more resonance, and a fuller tone, but at the cost of volume and durability.
I'm not a basher, so durability to stick impact is moot. Single ply heads are actually a little louder than double-ply.
__________________
My player site
My instructor site
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 AM
drumtechdad's Avatar
drumtechdad drumtechdad is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: Evans batter head question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy View Post
The theory is that thinner heads produce allow more resonance, and a fuller tone, but at the cost of volume and durability.
Well, no.

You can get more sustain from such a combination, if you want it, because 2-ply heads are self-muffled to a degree. Resonance? Okay. Fuller tone? Depends on the heads and how you tune them.

But: single-ply heads are almost always louder than 2-plies. Remember, 2-plies are self-muffled, and muffling = softer. It doesn't matter much from a practical standpoint because you can always hit the 2-ply harder. ;-)

And durability is much more a function of technique than head design. I don't need to hit very hard anymore, but my kid is the hardest hitter I've seen--no kidding--and he never dents single-ply heads, much less break them. He hits hard but he has good technique and great hands.

To the OP's original question, I've never liked the sound of single-ply clear over single-ply clear. Kinda boingy. I've used single-ply coated over single-ply clear my whole career--over 40 years' worth. This combination is extremely versatile: it can be used (and is used) in any kind of music you could name.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 AM
veggo32's Avatar
veggo32 veggo32 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 522
Default Re: Evans batter head question.

If you switch to G1 single ply switch companies. I've tried G1's and I can honestly say that Remo outperforms in the single ply 10mm category hands down.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
RollingStone000's Avatar
RollingStone000 RollingStone000 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: What do you care, you're not my mom.
Posts: 655
Default Re: Evans batter head question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggo32 View Post
If you switch to G1 single ply switch companies. I've tried G1's and I can honestly say that Remo outperforms in the single ply 10mm category hands down.
I can only speak about the Remo Ambassador regarding this, but it was a very nice head. When tuned properly it really sings well, and the response feels great. The amount of bounce I was able to get out one stroke was surprising. My only problem with it was that it felt thin when playing it. I'm not much of a hard hitter, but it felt like if I came down a little too hard I might snap the head or something.
__________________
"This message was paid for by the Committee to Re-invade Vietnam" - Jack Donaghy; 30 Rock
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 PM
stillgroovin's Avatar
stillgroovin stillgroovin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York state of mind.
Posts: 365
Default Re: Evans batter head question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Well, no.

You can get more sustain from such a combination, if you want it, because 2-ply heads are self-muffled to a degree. Resonance? Okay. Fuller tone? Depends on the heads and how you tune them.

But: single-ply heads are almost always louder than 2-plies. Remember, 2-plies are self-muffled, and muffling = softer. It doesn't matter much from a practical standpoint because you can always hit the 2-ply harder. ;-)

And durability is much more a function of technique than head design. I don't need to hit very hard anymore, but my kid is the hardest hitter I've seen--no kidding--and he never dents single-ply heads, much less break them. He hits hard but he has good technique and great hands.

To the OP's original question, I've never liked the sound of single-ply clear over single-ply clear. Kinda boingy. I've used single-ply coated over single-ply clear my whole career--over 40 years' worth. This combination is extremely versatile: it can be used (and is used) in any kind of music you could name.
You sold me on your 40 years of playing!!! I changed the batters to G1's and love the sound. Thanks, just what I was looking for.
__________________
Never trust a smiling dog!

Gretsch and Paiste
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com