DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-27-2009, 02:22 PM

Default Evans batter head question.

Hi all. I am presently playing G2's over G1's on all my maple toms. Although I like the sound I was wondering , if anyone who has used the G1 over G! setup likes it better, and why. I was contemplating switching but need some input from those of you that have used this setup before and like it, or don't like it.

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 08-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Evans batter head question.

I currently have G1 top & bottom on my Mapex Pro-M maple toms. Bottom heads slightly tighter than the tops. Golden. Slightly louder, clearer & more resonant than double-ply batters, although I've used those and liked them too.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

The theory is that thinner heads produce allow more resonance, and a fuller tone, but at the cost of volume and durability.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Pioneer Member

There is nothing wrong with the durability of G1s. I much preferred G1s to G2s from Evans, being that they have a broad tuning range and have a better tone. I'm not an Evans fan anymore (mainly because of the limited selection) but the only head I would buy from them would still be G1s.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy View Post
The theory is that thinner heads produce allow more resonance, and a fuller tone, but at the cost of volume and durability.
I'm not a basher, so durability to stick impact is moot. Single ply heads are actually a little louder than double-ply.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy View Post
Well, no.

You can get more sustain from such a combination, if you want it, because 2-ply heads are self-muffled to a degree. Resonance? Okay. Fuller tone? Depends on the heads and how you tune them.

But: single-ply heads are almost always louder than 2-plies. Remember, 2-plies are self-muffled, and muffling = softer. It doesn't matter much from a practical standpoint because you can always hit the 2-ply harder. ;-)

And durability is much more a function of technique than head design. I don't need to hit very hard anymore, but my kid is the hardest hitter I've seen--no kidding--and he never dents single-ply heads, much less break them. He hits hard but he has good technique and great hands.

To the OP's original question, I've never liked the sound of single-ply clear over single-ply clear. Kinda boingy. I've used single-ply coated over single-ply clear my whole career--over 40 years' worth. This combination is extremely versatile: it can be used (and is used) in any kind of music you could name.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Silver Member

If you switch to G1 single ply switch companies. I've tried G1's and I can honestly say that Remo outperforms in the single ply 10mm category hands down.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggo32 View Post
If you switch to G1 single ply switch companies. I've tried G1's and I can honestly say that Remo outperforms in the single ply 10mm category hands down.
I can only speak about the Remo Ambassador regarding this, but it was a very nice head. When tuned properly it really sings well, and the response feels great. The amount of bounce I was able to get out one stroke was surprising. My only problem with it was that it felt thin when playing it. I'm not much of a hard hitter, but it felt like if I came down a little too hard I might snap the head or something.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Well, no.

You can get more sustain from such a combination, if you want it, because 2-ply heads are self-muffled to a degree. Resonance? Okay. Fuller tone? Depends on the heads and how you tune them.

But: single-ply heads are almost always louder than 2-plies. Remember, 2-plies are self-muffled, and muffling = softer. It doesn't matter much from a practical standpoint because you can always hit the 2-ply harder. ;-)

And durability is much more a function of technique than head design. I don't need to hit very hard anymore, but my kid is the hardest hitter I've seen--no kidding--and he never dents single-ply heads, much less break them. He hits hard but he has good technique and great hands.

To the OP's original question, I've never liked the sound of single-ply clear over single-ply clear. Kinda boingy. I've used single-ply coated over single-ply clear my whole career--over 40 years' worth. This combination is extremely versatile: it can be used (and is used) in any kind of music you could name.
You sold me on your 40 years of playing!!! I changed the batters to G1's and love the sound. Thanks, just what I was looking for.

Gretsch and Paiste