DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 PM

Default Removing muffle rings

Hi,

Has anyone here ever attempted/successfully removed a muffle ring from an Aquarian SuperKick head?

After waiting 18 months for Remo to send through a 26" Emperor (as a spare), I gave up and asked my local store to call Aquarian, which they did while I waited in store. During a 3-way conversation, out of desperation (as my Emperor had seen better days) I agreed to take a SuperKick III as that was all Aquarian could offer me at the time.

So, I installed it, threw on a patch and debuted the SuperKick at my next rehearsal. Despite being single-ply, I was disappointed with how dead it sounded. Normally, I just run a felt strip with the Emperor and have a smooth white P3 logo head on the front of the kick, giving me the perfect balance of attack, resonance and tone. I decided to persevere, re-tuned the kick and played it again at the following rehearsal. No change.

So, I am back to (carefully) using the Emperor for now but I thought I might try and carefully remove the muffle ring from the head, effectively ending up with a coated CS equivalent. However, before I attempt this, I thought I might seek some advice from anyone with previous experience with removing these muffle rings. They seem to be glued on pretty strong and I don't want to ruin the head.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cubby
Old 08-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Removing muffle rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
Hi,

Has anyone here ever attempted/successfully removed a muffle ring from an Aquarian SuperKick head?

After waiting 18 months for Remo to send through a 26" Emperor (as a spare), I gave up and asked my local store to call Aquarian, which they did while I waited in store. During a 3-way conversation, out of desperation (as my Emperor had seen better days) I agreed to take a SuperKick III as that was all Aquarian could offer me at the time.

So, I installed it, threw on a patch and debuted the SuperKick at my next rehearsal. Despite being single-ply, I was disappointed with how dead it sounded. Normally, I just run a felt strip with the Emperor and have a smooth white P3 logo head on the front of the kick, giving me the perfect balance of attack, resonance and tone. I decided to persevere, re-tuned the kick and played it again at the following rehearsal. No change.

So, I am back to (carefully) using the Emperor for now but I thought I might try and carefully remove the muffle ring from the head, effectively ending up with a coated CS equivalent. However, before I attempt this, I thought I might seek some advice from anyone with previous experience with removing these muffle rings. They seem to be glued on pretty strong and I don't want to ruin the head.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cubby
There's a Remo Pinstripe on ebay for $35
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

So now you're kinda stuck with that head right? I would just put a beater patch on your Emperor and keep the SuperKick for a spare (the reason you bought it in the first place right?).

I wouldn't mess with taking the ring off, its not worth it. Let it live its life unmolested as a spare. There may come a day in the future when you put it on and actually like the way it sounds. Allow for the fact your tastes may change.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:34 PM

I actually went through the same thing with that same head, except without the whole Remo aspect of it. In my opinion, you did the right thing, and it's just better to muffle an unmuffled head than risk it with a pre-muffled one.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:14 PM

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I guess you're right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks again,

Cubby