DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 PM

Default Which Headphones....? Opinions and Choices...

Rite, i NEED some drumming headphones as at the minute i just blast out my music through at 850w with in-ear plugs in to stop nasty sounds etc etc...

But i can barely hear the music so when i record myself it turns out i can be out of time quite badly...

What do you guys do / use? Ive been lookin at the T-bone stuff and the Vic Firth SiH1 headphones but just wondering what you guys think...

Heres a link for both...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/vic_firth_sih1_kopfhoerer.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_hd990d.htm

So if you guys wouldnt mind lookin and seein what would be best...sound quality wise (music) and protection../

Cheerz
Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Which Headphones....? Opinions and Choices...

I use the Vic Firth Sound Isolation Headphones and I'm really not to impressed with them, they don't keep the sound out that well and I still find myself cranking the volume just to be able to hear over the drums.

I would recommend trying a different brand, because while the Vic Firth Headphones are decent they just don't provide the isolation one would expect.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:12 AM

I have (and use) the Vic Firths, and I am NOT a fan. They really crush your ears (maybe I have a big head, I don't know), so they get sore after you've been playing a while.

Plus, the built-in speakers are piss poor for both sound quality and volume. I have to crank the volume on my iPod when I use them; so much so that if I forget and later plug normal phones into the iPod, I blast the hell outta my ears.

I don't know anything about those other ones you're looking at, but I'd say go for them. Looks like they cost a good deal less too. Lemme know if they're good, maybe I'll replace mine! :)
Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 AM

Have you tried something from a real headphone company? I've got a Sennheiser HD280 Pro. Its very sensitive, meaning it doesn't take a lot of power to drive. Its also very isolating. I just plug mine into an iPod nano and there is more than enough level, even when I am bashing away at full volume. Finally, its remains comfortable even after hours of playing.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 AM
SickRick

Both the t.bone AND the VicFirth are reaaaallly bad headphones. Safe some more money and get something better than that. Either get Elacin ear-plugs with some good speakers in them (you could also use that as in-ear monitoring) or get Beyerdynamic DT 770 M.

The latter one is the one single best headphone for drummers available. Fantastic sound (you could use them for much more than just playing drums), great ear protection, extremely comfortable (VicFirth is a friggin Schraubzwinge).

I've tried both your models and some other ones, trust me: The Beyerdynamic is by far the best and worth the additional money.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Absolutely agreed with Lutz here. The Beyerdynamics look like they are by FAR the best buy. £133 really isn't a lot to spend on headphones (I spent over £200 on a pair of reference headphones recently) that are going to last and protect your hearing. The Vic Firths are awful and T.bone aren't yet a respected name. Do yourself a favour and spend more money. Look second hand as well.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Umm...now im stuck :S Lol

I was presuming the VIC-Firth ones were like amazin'!!! Obvs not...Those Beyerdynamic DT 770 M are too expensive for me really...When im on £50 a week off paper-rounds it aint easy really and im savin up to get a new 18'' crash and additional stuff...the Headphones were, in my view, was a mere dent in my shopping list, as if to say.

I would only go as high as £80 i would say...

Any suggestions?

What about these?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/extreme_isolation_ex29.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k121_studio.htm

I really need some people to advise me and these headphones are listed under ''STUDIO'' headphones so what does this really mean???

Cheerz guys for the great advice! :D
Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 AM
SickRick

AKG builds great headphones. I have a pair of reference AGK headphones and they are amazing. However, these ones will simply not do the job for drumming headphones since they are semi-open. You need closed headphones that dampen at least 25db in order to hear the music on the headphones and the drums at the same volume (while not killing your ears).

The extreme isolation might do the job, but keep in mind that one of the most important aspects is how comfortable your headphones are. When I bought the Beyerdynamic I first tried the cheap t.bone (which just sounded awfull), then went to the VicFirth (which is about as comfortable as a pair of way too small skiing boots AND sounds crappy) - realized that I had to spend more money in order to get something that I can work with. Tried several AKGs, Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics - the DT 770 M is where I ended. I know it's the most expensive one, but it's just simply the best one (at least for my head and my ears). I know this is a big investment, but trust me: it really really really is money worth spent. Better spent than any crash cymbal in the world because it will lead to you enjoying all the gear you already have much more....

I always tell my students that a good headphone is one of the most important drumming tools, if not the most important one. Don't save at the wrong end.

About the "studio" thing: Mainly this is marketing, but it means that all frequencys are at the exact same hearing level (e.g. there is no bass-boost, Hi-Cut, Lo-Cut or whatever like in most other headphones). Studio headphones are for people who are mixing/mastering their music as a reference for listening back along with studio-monitors.

I never ever come to the gear-forum... I guess this is one of my first posts ever here. But headphones are just extremely important in my opinion and mainly I want to warn you not to go with something cheap and crappy since you'll end up spending the money twice as soon as you'll get an upgrade (and you'll want to get an upgrade if you have bad headphones sooner than you think).

Oh, one more thing: I know ordering from Thomann is great and cheap, but if you go to a music store and actually try things out for yourself, it'll be way easier for you to make a decision - you can then still order at Thomann for the better price.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Dude, you know it all man! ( Not being like offensive :P )

So you think i should wait and go to a shop and try out all the possibilities?

That point about ''I will be able to enjoy my gear MORE'' is ohhh, too valid.

Umm...decisions decisions...

Cheerz agen, your greatttt help!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUmMerCON View Post
So you think i should wait and go to a shop and try out all the possibilities?
Yes. That's the single best thing to do. I work above a drumstore, so I was in the lucky position to try everything out first hand, but if you don't have that option you could just order some phones from Thomann, see if you like them and if you don't like them just ship them back and get better ones. If you don't like these, do the same thing again....

I wasn't so aware of the importance of phones until I tried out different models. Especially when you're playing a lot the comfy-bonus of better phones is huge. I play these 4-hour wedding gigs from time to time with headphones all the way through the gig and its just great to have headphones that do not hurt, protect your ears and give you a nice transparent sound (I use them as monitors for all band plus loops, click etc.).

But go and try. After all you might find that the VicFirth ones work really well for you (I don't think so, but there is a chance that for your ears and headshape they work fine). It's a lot of money to spend, so you better try before buying.

:)

Glad I could help... really - besides from headphones, sticks and heads I am the total anti-gear geek: Sounds good - I like it. Sounds bad - I don't like it.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:27 PM
audiotech

I've tried a lot of different headphones to get the desired isolation, sound quality and comfort, and most of these attributes are usually not available in a single set of phones. I Tried the Beyer DT 109, Panasonic EAH-20, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro, and Sony MDR V6, which is really an earlier version of the Sony MDR7506. Out of all these what came in first, but are not manufactured any longer are the Panasonic EAH-20. Next in line is a tie between the Audio Technica ATH-M50's and the Sony MDR V6. I didn't care for the prominent extended bass response of the Beyer Dynamic DT770 and their slightly over-sized muffs. The Beyer DT109's didn't have enough isolation and again the muffs were a little on the large size. I wanted to check out the Sennheiser 280's but haven't had a chance.

These are what I personally tried on various kits and can recommend.

Dennis
Old 08-04-2009, 03:44 PM

Mannn i really didnt expect such a good response from you guys! Great! Thanks!

I shall get sum cash and go and venture to Birmingham and sum other places :D Any of you guys from the UK and know of any good drum centres near birmingham?

Cheerz!

keep opinions comin...I do read them :P
Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Open reference headphones are my thing, so I will happily go along with whatever these two posters say, but I can say that I basically agree with everything Lutz (SickRick) says about saving up for a better pair. A good pair of headphones is an investment - just as important (in fact more so) than new cymbals or any bit of kit. I use a pair of AKG reference headphones (AKG K701) but they are not the same as the ones you will need. As has been said, you need:

Comfort
Sound Quality
and
Closed back (for isolation)

In no order of preference. You may well have to spend more for that, but in that means you will simply have to save up. Don't skimp on the choice - I urge you. You will regret it. It might mean waiting, but used correctly you can use the same pair for twenty years. My reference headphones will last me that long provided I look after them properly. If you want to know anything technical, I study Music Technology, so feel free to ask and I'll see if I can answer your questions.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM

Ive been using the sennhiser IE4 in ear monitors because my vic firths got stolen and they weren't that great to begin with (sound quality and isolation were so so, better than regular headphones but in ear headphones and gun mufflers worked better for me). I picked up my sennhisers for like $80 and they do isolate really well and the sound quality is really good, the only complaint is they have a tendancy to get tugged on things like my back or belt when i sweat and get sticky and they get tugged out of my ears from the chord sticking to something on my body, but I do sweata lot, other than that they work fine, they are like the shure's which i find has a couple ergonomic advantages.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 PM

Now, are Full ear covered headphones better than in-ear ones with isolation?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 PM

These look good, what do you guys think?...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_rh_d20.htm

Cheerz
Old 08-06-2009, 06:05 AM

As I mentioned earlier, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro has 32dB of isolation, 64 Ohms impedance, 102dB SPL. Smooth and unhyped sound. 105 euros. I use it both in the studio for tracking, and for location recording.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao View Post
As I mentioned earlier, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro has 32dB of isolation, 64 Ohms impedance, 102dB SPL. Smooth and unhyped sound. 105 euros. I use it both in the studio for tracking, and for location recording.
So these, in your opinion, are pretty much ideal for drumming with music coming through?

Cheerz agen!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
These look good, what do you guys think?...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_rh_d20.htm

Cheerz
No, because they're not noise-reducing.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
No, because they're not noise-reducing.
Oh **** yea sorry, i thought the 102db was but its sensitivity.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Sorry everyone for keep posting in this probably boring area of drums :S

But i have decided upon going for the Sennheiser HD280's from Kikatech for only £67!

Bargain. What you lot think?

Thanks-you agen.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

They're not noise-reducing either. You're looking for a part of the specification that says -15dB or -20dB. You really need to start reading the specifications.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
They're not noise-reducing either. You're looking for a part of the specification that says -15dB or -20dB. You really need to start reading the specifications.
I have. ''high sound absorption (32dB)''

So thats not isolation?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
I have. ''high sound absorption (32dB)''

So thats not isolation?
I can't see that anywhere.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RH-D20/specs.html
Old 08-06-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Alrite, well the website i have been looking on has totally got it wrong then :@
Old 08-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Hi Guys,

Is this post and the recommended headphones relevant for use with an electric drum kit (DTXplorer)?

i.e. is it worth buying a decent pair such as Beyerdynamic dt 770 M now or are over kill for a novice simply using them as practice headphones?

thanks
Old 08-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Absolutely no waste whatsoever. I would prefer those over other options in this situation. -18dB attenuation is enough and they will always be useful as tracking headphones. Always buy the best you can, and those are decent headphones for playing with.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM

righty o.... i best get saving then....

thanks