DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Default Hardware colour change

This is hypothetical for the moment but I have a first questions:

1) When drum companies have black hardware on a drum is it powder coated?

2) Would it be expensive to get a four piece kit (hoops, lugs, spurs, tom mounts, etc) powder coated? ballpark price?

3) Is it possible to change chrome hardware to black nickel chrome hardware or is that something that is done when the metal is cast?

4) How is this done if it is possible and is it expensive?

I ask because I might be able to get several Mapex Pro M pieces together fairly cheap and would like to try and replicate the Mapex Saturn LA kit in white sparkle with black nickel hardware. (I can't afford the saturn at the mo)

cheers.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Hardware colour change

Like this

Attached Images

Old 08-27-2009, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

A buddy of mine picked up a black Pearl Vision series kit, and it has all black hardware. I noticed some of it started scratching off during the assembly. So I'm going to say painted, but I'm not sure about high dollar pro stuff, but I would imagine the overwhelming majority of colored hardware is painted.

It shouldn't be too difficult to do it, powder coating is actually a magnetized powder that gets baked on, so it's definitely possible. The pricing I would imagine isn't cheap, probably more of a labor cost then supply cost.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:26 AM

real black chrome* is an electroplate - just like bright chrome (different formulation and thickness)

I understand there is difficulty getting even results, I believe it's somewhat more expensive than bright chrome

so keep that in mind [ I suspect it's going to be more than you'd want to spend unless you are going for the custom "I want exactly what I want and I'm willing to pay for it" solution]

*don't know which drum manufacturers do that --like rollingstone saide - some (most??) manufacturers might be using coatings as opposed to platings. I noticed one of the manf's..Ddrum maybe, are offering all kinds of whacky colors...I suspect they are powder coating for that
usually, powdercoating is attracted electrostatically (like static cling on trousers) as opposed to magnetically (but I think there are some magnetic systems, I don't know anything about those though)

I'd suggest checking with your local car customizer/"speedshop" or car club

Last edited by justjim; 08-27-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Powder coating can be done but I don't think it can be done over chrome. There may be a process to remove or etch the chrome for powder coating but you could probably buy another set for what it would cost to have your entire drum set done.

Check this on powder coating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_coating