DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Default Rolad TD4 Electronic drums

Yo people.

fresh to this site.

am wanting an electronic drumkit for practice at home as have really crap neighbours so thought id ask the drummer comunity what their thoughts are on the roland td4 kit

chur!

Aids
NZ
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Roland TD4 Electronic drums

Aids, Welcome

TD4: Basic stand, neat mesh snare, rubber toms and cymbals, excellent kick pad and simple brain.
TD9 K: Intermediate stand, neat mesh snare, rubber toms and cymbals, excellent kick pad and more advanced brain.
TD9 KX: Intermediate stand, neat mesh snare, excellent mesh toms, rubber cymbals, excellent kick pad and more advanced brain.

Currently the TD9K seems expensive and there doesn't seem enough to justify the price difference above the TD4. So IMHO the choice is between the TD4 and the TD9KX. If the TD9 KX is too expensive then you should stick with the TD4. The mesh heads are better and quieter but the rubber pads are still fine, ie the difference is not as great as some would make you believe. Again, IMHO.

I started with a TD6, which was all rubber at the time and then years later bought a used TD12, which I currently own and adore.

You don't say what standard you are and whether this is only for practice at home etc. So some of these factors could come into consideration. Also, Yamahas are worth looking at as they offer slightly better value. Yamaha's sounds are based on sample technology whereas Roland's are based on software emulation. There's pros and cons on this, but this may not bother you at this stage.

Finally, TD4's brain, I think, is too basic to enable you to download ekits, whereas you can do this with the TD9. Again, this may not be a consideration for you.

Cheers and Peace
Davo
Old 08-26-2009, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Rolad TD4 Electronic drums

I've got a TD-5!
its great for a practice kit. mine has no mesh snare. hole things rubber. works fine for practicing. easy to adjust the rack frame. the only let down is it still doesn't have the feel of my acoustic kit. but that's because its not lol :P

I'd say if you can get a good one for a decent price go for it. better having somthing to jam on than nothing at all.