DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 AM

Default How do I make my floor tom sound like this?

I really love the way the drummer from Cursive's floor tom sounds, and I was wondering what I would have to do to achieve that sound? I see he has a moongel on his batter head, but I can't tell if it's an ambassador or an emperor head he's using.

Anywho, I was wondering how I would go about making my floor tom sound like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlg_x...er_profilepage
Old 08-25-2009, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Default Re: How do I make my floor tom sound like this?

Heads, moongel aside. It has been recorded and played through who knows what kind of supression and EQ and amps. To sound just like that may take some doing.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

Sorry to say but why in the world would you want your floor tom to sound like that?
No resonance, the sound is dead, and to me it sounds like the floor tom is not even in the range where a good proper tone is evident, its way undertuned thus the papery sound.
It sound yukky imo.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:43 PM

Sounds like an Ambassador with a loose tuning and obviously a moongel. I would venture to guess you might find a moongel on the bottom head as well along with a similar loose tuning. I don't think that there is any real sound processing being used here either-it's a pretty straight forward affair.

Ironically, I've never found this type of tuning particularly difficult to duplicate-it's actually one of the easiest sounds to get as it removes overtones, and easily overcomes most tuning issues one runs into imho. Personally, I prefer to use the 'tea-towel' method that Ringo used to get this sound. The advantage is that the tea towels can be removed leaving you with a more open resonant sound when you are done. You may want to try that first.

Notice also the technique of using the butt of the stick and a relatively soft touch which cuts down on the attack as does using the coated head.

While I probably wouldn't use this as a stock tuning all the time, it works well here in my opinion just as it worked for Ringo on tunes like Two of Us from Let it Be.

Not yucky-just 'different'.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:47 PM

Yeah, not a very desirable sound in my opinion but I guess on some level it fits the music okay. This is the Loose/Wet sound minus the fat.

Now if you want the "Fat" ditch the Moongel/Single Ply head combo and throw on a Coated Pinstripe, coated PS3 or maybe even a Hydraulic on the batter. Tune the reso and batter to an even pitch and wah-lah - Tone (what his current sound in missing), presence, & mellow attack. You'll definitely have a better sounding drum with a similar vibe.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:24 AM

The head in the video is clearly a Remo Coated Emperor w/moongel. Now, it isn't tuned down to that slappy papery sound some are led to believe. Its all in the eq, which is quite flat. What do you expect from a radio station recording drums in their studio? Less than stellar results.

I can just barely make out the tone but its there and it isn't too low.