DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-19-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Stick marks - what causes them/getting rid of them?

I'm a beginner drummer, been playing for about a year. My stock heads were sounding extremely crap I replaced them with some good EC2 heads which are great, however I find Im having the same problem that I did with ym previous heads - stick marks on the toms. Maybe it's on the snare too, but it isn't visible as the head is frosted/coated.

What caused these stick marks? Is it the result of me playing wrong? I can do rolls and such and it sounds good but does the appearance of stick marks constantly appearing shortly after I get my head mean Im playing incorrectly? I don't take lessons, I just put some headphones on and play too songs for fun, so I don't care too much about the marks, not like I'm in a band going on tour or anything, but clear and clean heads look so much better. Next time I get new heads is there any advice on how to avoid stick marks?

And I doubt there's a way, but has anyone found a way to remove the stick marks? Seems like their dented in their or something as they won't come off, and I don't want to damage my heads.

Thank you in advance,

Michael.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Stick marks - what causes them/getting rid of them?

I'm not an expert on heads... You'll find that a lot of people here will probably give you much more technical answers then this but...
The marks are like scuffs on your shoes. You will always get them and you don't need to be alarmed about them... its just what drum heads do when you play on them. I wouldn't worry too much about your heads looking like they're in pristine condition. Heads get beat with sticks so the more you beat them, the more worn out they will get. Eventually they will have dents in them and they will need replaced. a few dents and scuff marks don't mean you have to replace them.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Pioneer Member

ALL heads will show stick marks. It's just the way it is and no way to prevent them it's normal wear on the head and there's no way to remove them. Now if you are denting the head that's a whole different story.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Some of the marks are the clear finish coming off of the sticks onto the heads. The cymbals loosen up the clear coat and it sticks to the heads. Some of the marks are just scrape marks on the plastic heads.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:51 PM
"Uncle Larry"

If your heads are dented, you're striking them on an angle that dent's the heads. There is a better way to strike the heads where they won't get dented, and it all comes down to the angle of your stick as it hits the head, and also which part of the tip is hitting the head. Ideally the middle of the tip (meaning the part of the tip with the most surface area), not the point of the tip, should be doing the striking. Scuff marks come from "glancing blows" to the head. Ideally the stick should strike the head as close to a 90 degree angle in relation to the drumhead as possible. In an ideal world. It is a good goal to work toward, as it goes hand in hand with proper technique.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:07 AM

^That.
If possible, try to flatten your toms out a bit to get a better striking angle. But again, it will still happen over time. Flattening your toms out though will make the heads last longer.