DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Default Drum Rack Decision, help needed

Hey guys, I am new to the forum, and I thought the best way to get advice was to make a thread. Okay, I am new to the drum rack purchase thing. So far, I am looking at:

This PDP rack has no bad reviews, but if I try to google other reviews there are no references, also it seems as though no place carries extra clamps in stock? I could be wrong:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...age?sku=445147

Or a basic v rack that I can get for $150 incl shipping.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=447779

With:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ion?sku=447780

So this is what I am looking to mount: cow bell, my yamaha power v special kit with three toms (12", 13", 16" - for now, possibly adding export or tama 14" and 10" soon), a 20" B8 ride, sabian aaxplosion 18" 16" 15" crashes, 15" sabian aax dark crash, 15" aax chinese, the pulse pro roto toms (6",8",10") from musiciansfriend, and I think thats about it for now.

I have heard much about the slipping problem but that the memory locks solve that problem so I'm not really worried about it. I am also wondering if theres much of a difference between the curved rack and the v rack, it seems almost as if the curved rack has more mounting space but the v rack is claimed to be ergonomic and you are better able to mount your toms closer? That's about it, I am not worried too much about the price difference ($270 for gibraltar vs $399.99 for the pdp), I am more concerned about construction, functionality, availibility of extra clamps and such etc. ANY help is much appreciated! Sorry for the super long post :P
Old 05-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Drum Rack Decision, help needed

Before you buy anything check out the Pearl Icon series racks, and look at Cascio Interstate Music web site for pricing. I bought mine there and they beat everyones price.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...&storeId=10051
Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

I'm using a PDP curved rack, with a full straight right-side (floor tom, ride, 20" crash) and a Gibraltar "V" for my left side (hi-hats, splash, china...and eventually my picollo snare).

I've never had a slippage problem. I use a memory lock on most items on the rack. My local GC usually has anything I need when I'm adding on.

You definitely want to make sure of the mounting system for your particular kit and make sure the rack will work.

the configuration has changed some on my kit, so the pics aren't entirely up to date....but it's virtually the same. and like GD said...check out all options before buying. You'd be surprised what deals you can find.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Another vote for the Pearl Icon rack. I still use the DR80 from Pearl what is outdated for quite a while now, and I love that thing.
I have mounted 4 toms and 6 cymbals on it, nice and sturdy.
I also still have regular stands in case if I take a smaller kit.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

I use the Gibraltar curved rack system. I have never had any issues with slipping at all. I use Yamaha drums and many cymbals. I love it. Easy to get add on pieces and eBay usually has lots of Gibraltar gear as well...cheap

Have you seen the new Hex Rack from Yamaha? Great looking rack not round or square but the hex design. A bit on the pricey side.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 PM

sticksnstonesrus, your pics are the first I've seen with that pdp rack so I def appreciate you posting them, and its funny its the first time I've ever seen the axis double kicks in a pic too? How are those anyways? The thing about the pearl, I've thought about the icon 503 i think it is? But I am not a fan of the square tubing in the sense that you can't fully control the vertical positioning of the clamp since its squared obviously and that could be a pain is the ass I think at some point, not to mention the look of the chrome from the gibraltar or pdp racks. This whole process of buying a rack is a pain in the you know what for me haha :) And it seems as though when looking for a rack, that people usually suggest whatever rack they own am i wrong? Like sticking with a brand because they've had good luck with it even though they haven't tried another? Like I said the whole process can be frustrating :P
Old 06-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Silver Member

I like the Axis pedals. They work great for me.

And for choosing a rack. While most would recommend what they use, especially if an endorser (by contract), some of us choose to stay fairly neutral on most subjects.

My choice to go with the PDP was based on price, availibility, and my own personal feelings on it's quality when I checked it out. For instance, I like the Icon rack...just out of my price range at the time of my purchase, and in the end, I am not too fond of the square look either. Still an impressive item.

Well, the only person who can decide the best rack for you, is you. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Administrator

This is the second thread that mentioned PDP racks being less money than Pearl Icon and I don't understand. The three sided Icon is 299.00 at MF and the Two sided PDP is 399.00 and that is the reason I bought the Pearl. Please tell me where you are seeing the PDP for less than the Icon 503. And I bought mine at Interstate Music because they were much cheaper than MF.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:22 AM
Gold Member

I paid $200 for my PDP, with the side wings, off ebay. It was almost brand new with 5 clamps total. It's a very good rack and has given me zero problems.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 06-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
This is the second thread that mentioned PDP racks being less money than Pearl Icon and I don't understand. The three sided Icon is 299.00 at MF and the Two sided PDP is 399.00 and that is the reason I bought the Pearl. Please tell me where you are seeing the PDP for less than the Icon 503. And I bought mine at Interstate Music because they were much cheaper than MF.
The GC I bought my PDP at had it signifigantly cheaper than the Icon setup they had. Was it on sale? Maybe? been too long. Either way, cost is an issue for the moment. Never know when the right deal might walk around.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

GD is talking about a different Pacific rack...he is talking about this one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pacific-...46-i1138471.gc

you all are talking about this one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pacific-...75-i1138472.gc

my friend has the Gibralter rack...and let me tell you it is amazing...i help him set up last show and it was sooo easy and simple...we had all his mics and cymbals set up in 5 minutes...it was really easy!

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY

Last edited by bojangleman; 06-02-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 AM
Administrator

NO. I am talking about the first one for 399.00 and comparing it to the Pearl Icon 503c at 299.00, and some how saying that the Icon is more expensive.
Shop away. If you want less for more, go for it.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 AM
Silver Member

GD is correct. At this time, the Icon is far cheaper than the PDP.

I'm saying that (at the time) the PDP, at the GC I bought it from, was cheaper than the Icon they had on display.

Last edited by sticksnstonesrus; 06-02-2008 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:37 PM

I went with gibraltar mainly because in all the years they've been making racks, they've changed very very little, meaning I can go on ebay and type in "gibraltar rack" and know that anything that comes up will be compatible with mine. All of gibratar's stuff is just no-nonsense, straight forward,well built gear. It's not the prettiest stuff out there, and it's not the least expensive stuff out there, but for musicians who need to know that when they take their hardware out of the case it will go together right away, you can't go wrong with gibraltar.

... they should be paying me for this...

The new yamaha racks look nice too. I like the hex design, but really think they screwed up making the clamps the way they did. To me it looks like you wouldn't be able to remove anything fully from the rack without taking the rack apart. I'll stick with my quick-release gibraltar clamps.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:11 PM

Please take this into consideration when deciding on a "Pipe" rack (Pipe = Round) vs. getting a "Tube" Rack (Tube = Square). There are simple physics / geometry involved.
If you will, think of the clamps and the rack just the same as you would a screwdriver and a screw. When you use a "flathead" screwdriver on a sloted screw, if you turn the screwdriver it will contact the slot in two places...

Or a phillipshead screwdriver would contact the appropriate screwhead in 4 places.
In the case of screws if there is a failure the screwhead gets stripped, but on a rack if there is a failure you will get "slippage"

So if you have a round rack - Pipe, then your clamps will hold onto the rack with pressure and what keeps them from rotating, is friction alone. If enough force is applied or force over time, or force plus vibration (ie: hitting a drum, hitting a cymbal) over time, the clamps will begin to rotate on the pipe.

W/ a Tube rack it is different, there are always four points of contact that prevent the clamp from rotating on the rack. And if the clamp is made correctly the tighter it is on the tube the more surface contact there is, making it less likely to move around.

Another thing to consider is the structural integrity of the shape itself. If you were to put a force on a pipe, say a downward force, like if you were to stand on the center arm. I know this isn't what you are buying a rack for but just humor me. A pipe would be more likely to bend, because a pipe can easly bend in any direction. In contrast, take the tube for example, because there are corners, and "side walls" it is much more resiliant, if you apply the same force in the same manner the tubing will resist it and not bend. It will take more force to bend the tube than to bend the pipe. **Depending on material thickness** but for purposes of this discussion, the pipes and the tubes used by these companies are relatively the same metal thickness give or take a few .001"

Yamaha has continued this theory down the rabbit hole and developed their "Hex-Rack" system which I think is pretty smart.

I'm not trying to say you should or shouldn't buy either, nor am I trying to "bash" pipe racks, pipe racks have been used for years and years, so people must find them adiquate, and good for the job.
I however, being in structural design, know the pros and cons of Pipe vs. Tube, and considering there isn't much difference in costs, I went with the tube rack from pearl, the DR-503C ICON rack system.

I might have purchased the "Hex-Rack" had it been available when I was looking for a rack, I think I should mention here that Yamaha's "Hex-rack" is MUCH more expensive than the rest. And the clamps they use have yet to be tested for a long period of time by the drummer world, I am curious about how they will hold up to extensive touring.

Anyway, I hope you found this helpful.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 PM

On a purely "what should I buy" note, I would suggest going to a store where they have racks set up. Here I go to guitar center, they usually have all the different racks they offer set up. You should ask first but then go to the different rack systems and start moving the parts around like it was yours and see if you like the feel of it, if you like how the clamps work, how the adjustments work. Something to keep in mind is, can you make adjustments to your items from behind the set? Or do you have to get up go around the whole kit and then make adjustments from the outside. Also, does it have "memory" locations or something to keep your settings, you don't want to have to fully adjust everything in your hardware every time you set up to play.

Basically I would go try out as many different brands as you can, before making a decision.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Drum Rack, and hardware suggestions - help needed

Hello People, I'm new here. I need some regarding a Rack that I'm going to get.
I've ordered for the PDP X7 with the PDP rack to mount toms and cymbals.
Here is pieces from my order form:

1 DW PDP Shell Pack X7 Lacquer drum kit shells
1 DW PDP Super Rack System Chrome-Plated Steel Rack Package(http://www.pacificdrums.com/hardware/rack.asp)
3 Super Rack Clamps and Accessories DWSMTA10 tom Arm
1 Hardware Pack 9300,5500TD,2x9700 (DWCP9000PK08) (http://www.pacificdrums.com/hardware/packs.asp#9000
1 DW Double Kick Pedal 9002 Series
1 DW PDP Drum Throne DT 900

Please tell me if I've missed out anything for a setup that'll have 3 toms on the rack( for which I've ordered the TA 10 arm) and the 14" and 16" as floor toms.
In the 9000 series hardware pack I get 2 cymbal stand and the rack has 2 boom arms on the vertical pipes. But my setup is with 8 cymbals, please check the pdf for a rough idea of my setup. I need help regarding the 4 extra cymbals, what would be the best way to rig them.
Please advice and suggest so I can work on those combinations.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf racksetup.pdf (227.3 KB, 143 views)
Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 AM

Rack update - I forgot to mention that the PDP main rack ships with 2x 24" bars that would be on either side of the vertical bars, and may be one floor tom (14") can go on that. Incase I want to do that is there a tom holder that has to fixed on the tom as the 14" and 16" are both with legs - what adapter must I get?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Hello people, I haven't heard anything from anyone. Please give your opinions on what I asked!
Thanks.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett2oo5 View Post
Please take this into consideration when deciding on a "Pipe" rack (Pipe = Round) vs. getting a "Tube" Rack (Tube = Square). There are simple physics / geometry involved.

So if you have a round rack - Pipe, then your clamps will hold onto the rack with pressure and what keeps them from rotating, is friction alone. If enough force is applied or force over time, or force plus vibration (ie: hitting a drum, hitting a cymbal) over time, the clamps will begin to rotate on the pipe.

W/ a Tube rack it is different, there are always four points of contact that prevent the clamp from rotating on the rack. And if the clamp is made correctly the tighter it is on the tube the more surface contact there is, making it less likely to move around.

Another thing to consider is the structural integrity of the shape itself. If you were to put a force on a pipe, say a downward force, like if you were to stand on the center arm. I know this isn't what you are buying a rack for but just humor me. A pipe would be more likely to bend, because a pipe can easly bend in any direction. In contrast, take the tube for example, because there are corners, and "side walls" it is much more resiliant, if you apply the same force in the same manner the tubing will resist it and not bend. It will take more force to bend the tube than to bend the pipe. **Depending on material thickness** but for purposes of this discussion, the pipes and the tubes used by these companies are relatively the same metal thickness give or take a few .001"

I'm not trying to say you should or shouldn't buy either, nor am I trying to "bash" pipe racks, pipe racks have been used for years and years, so people must find them adiquate, and good for the job.
I however, being in structural design, know the pros and cons of Pipe vs. Tube, and considering there isn't much difference in costs, I went with the tube rack from pearl, the DR-503C ICON rack system.
Be careful to not imply that the words "tube" and "pipe" are synonymous with particular shapes. Both plumbing pipes and paper towel tubes are round. :) I assume you were just using two different words to separate your examples? [And if so, why not just say "square" and "round"...?]