DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

Default What to use for a hi hat cymbal sleeve???

I've pondering this for a few months now. Do they even make them? I've tried looking around the websites and have only found sparse references to essentially what I'm asking about here. Does any one know where to find them, or if not what do you use?

I tried masking tape a while back just to see if there was difference in sound, and it was very noticeable. It sounded livelier and like an actual hi hat should, and I'm using crappy ZBT cymbals for the time being. It was just that I knew the masking tape would wear away shortly, so I haven't really done anything about getting that sound back.

I also noticed on my friends set of A custom hats that he has a slight piercing ringy sound from what I can only deduce (fancy huh?) as the metal from the clutch vibrating against the hole of the hat cymbal.

Any ideas folks?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: What to use for a hi hat cymbal sleeve???

I've never seen any, and don't know if they exist. Maybe it's the characteristics from the A customs that make the bright noise you're hearing? I don't know, but if there is a cymbal sleeve for hats I want some, I can imagine it makes the cymbal wear less around the hole.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

I buy rubber tubing from a home improvement store, and cut a piece to put around the threads. It takes some doing to get it on there, but it doesn't slide around, and it's snug enough to allow the felts cover it (plastic tubing was too thick).

I've wondered why nobody markets this, since cymbal sleeves are marketed and recommended everywhere...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 08-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Vinyl electrical tape.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 AM

While you are waiting to find time to go buy the tubing, try an old plastic ball point pen of the right size. Take the guts out and cut the tapered end off. I haven't tried this, it just came to me now lol. Ideally it would go thru the felt and hit bottom and stay there and not ride up. Or maybe just a piece of a straw... until you get the tubing. Just thinkin'.

I just looked at mine and it has a sleeve built-in but it's starting to wear through.

Hmm, I wonder if a regular cymbal sleeve would work if you cut the bottom off.

Well, I may be crazy, it's 3:20am lol.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
While you are waiting to find time to go buy the tubing, try an old plastic ball point pen of the right size. Take the guts out and cut the tapered end off. I haven't tried this, it just came to me now lol. Ideally it would go thru the felt and hit bottom and stay there and not ride up. Or maybe just a piece of a straw... until you get the tubing. Just thinkin'.

I just looked at mine and it has a sleeve built-in but it's starting to wear through.

Hmm, I wonder if a regular cymbal sleeve would work if you cut the bottom off.

Well, I may be crazy, it's 3:20am lol.
I don't think any of that would work. The clutch is a wider diameter than all of those items you mentioned. Unless, maybe one of those fat "DR. -----" pens.

Caddy - I like the rubber hose idea, I'll have to pick some up and try that out.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
You looked at your... what? The hi-hat clutch? What brand is it?