DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Default Snare Stands and Sound Quality

How much does the type of stand impact the sound of the drum?

For instance. It's obvious the difference in sound when you take your floor tom off of the floor and hang it. And, to take it a step further, some stages make your floor tom sound better.

What kind of impact would it make on sound to have a snare stand made out of wood?

Has anyone fooled around with this idea, done any research, or experimented?

Am I just thinking too far out of the box and this is just a really stupid idea and should cease and desist immediately.... @:-)

Constructive DRUM criticism only, please. No comments from therapists

And, please, extend the conversation on the impact any stand may have on drum sound.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Snare Stands and Sound Quality

Of course: everything affects the sound. Sometimes it's a lot, sometimes it's a teeny bit and not worth worrying about. Up to you.

What I do with snare stands is to not clamp the basket to the snare tightly. My snare is sitting on the arms of the snare basket, not clamped to it like a vise. I find that opens up the drum a teeny bit.

And I have heard a rack tom choked on a snare stand compared with how it sounded on a rims-type mount or optimount. Some guys don't care. Some guys do.

I think (but don't know for sure) that this is the chief way a snare stand can affect the sound of the drum, so I don't think that making a stand out of wood would make any difference.

YMMV. Why not experiment? Get out the shop tools!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Silver Member

Stands tend to kill resonance and "deaden" sound. Which sucks for toms, but doesn't affect snares that much since the depths are so shallow, and most of the volume comes from the crack of snare wire vibrating against a plastic head, not from the heads themselves.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

I don't think it would have much, if any, impact on the sound. If you think about a large floor tom for example, it's mainly the weight coming down on the legs and onto the floor that tends to reduce resonance. Therefore you would put some sturdy foam down where the legs touch the floor. However snares typically aren't that heavy (the stand itself would weigh more than the drum).
The thing that affects resonance on a snare drum would be how tight the basket around the resonant hoop. I generally like to keep my stands just tight enough to keep the drum stationary in the basket, but with a very slight amount of force still be able to turn it in the basket. Also, a while back I tried putting my snare in like the pictures below (claws of the basket touching the hoop only) and it never sounded more open in my life. A little too open, every time I'd hit my rack tom I'd get a stupid amount of sympathetic buzz.

So I really don't think a wood stand would affect resonance, it would look damn nice though; stained and lacquered drums with a matching stand. Clean son!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipJohns View Post
How much does the type of stand impact the sound of the drum?

For instance. It's obvious the difference in sound when you take your floor tom off of the floor and hang it. And, to take it a step further, some stages make your floor tom sound better.

What kind of impact would it make on sound to have a snare stand made out of wood?

Has anyone fooled around with this idea, done any research, or experimented?

Am I just thinking too far out of the box and this is just a really stupid idea and should cease and desist immediately.... @:-)

Constructive DRUM criticism only, please. No comments from therapists

And, please, extend the conversation on the impact any stand may have on drum sound.
It wouldn't sell... simply b/c a wood stand couldn't 'stand' the rigors of transport, it would be destroyed in a hardware bag and be too weak to provide lasting service.

For instance. It's obvious the difference in sound when you take your floor tom off of the floor and hang it. And, to take it a step further, some stages make your floor tom sound better. This has nothing to do wood or metal, its what the drum/stand connects with at the floor that determines resonance. Some floors/stages are either solid-reflect (canceling) vibrations back through stand, or they resonate-vibrate with stand/drum supporting drum head vibration.

With a basket snare stand, you don't want any clamping action (basket tight) on the drums rim, ultimately you want the drum just resting on the stand. Any pressure on the rim will affect the drums performance.