DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #321  
Old 02-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Lee View Post
Hey Derek. I have been doing your endurance and coordination (the ten minute ones) exercices for 2 months with great results. Would you recommend them for developing speed in addition to endurance, or are there some other exercices you would recommend gaining for speed. I am content with where my hands are, but I would like to get my feet on par. I do realize foot speed comes gradually over time. Would you consider going from 130bpm to 150bpm (for 2mins+) in 3 months good progress? Time isn't an issue, I practice 4-8hrs a day normally. I know you are so much more then a double bass guy, but who better to ask? =) Thanks for your time.

*Edit* I'll leave the question up if you would like to respond to it. I did some research and I think all answers I have and more are in your book. I honestly think more than anything I'm struggling with balance and need to develop more muscles and control in my lower back and hips. Time to pony up some cash and get the book.
Haha...yeah, the book is GREAT for this stuff. But, like I always say..."speed ONLY comes from playing fast." And, by "speed".... I mean the type of speed required to play Extreme Metal.
You'll never get there....if you don't try to push those tempos out.

That said....anyone can push out fast notes for a few measures...not many can do it for 32 bars at a time. That's where those endurance exercises come into play.

I've come up with a good analogy to compare drummers wanting to achieve these goals...in relation to a real life situation...
Here goes...
You're driving down the interstate and your car runs out of gas just 3/4 of a mile to the exit.
What are your options?
Here are 2...
1. Push your car to the exit and get gas. You can then "relax", get a soda and catch your breath before return on your journey.
2. You sit and wait for someone to stop and help you. You "relax" and wait....maybe "stick your thumb out" to stop someone who can assist you, etc....
Will someone stop? Will you get the "help" you need?
By the time this happens......the guy that chooses option 1....is likely already back on his journey....ahead of the game.

I see so many drummers asking for advise and direction.....rather than just doing it.
The ones who wait on direction....are the one's who are always behind.

Remember that... when thinking about physical principles like this.

Cheers,
D.
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Isaac Lee Isaac Lee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 34
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Haha...yeah, the book is GREAT for this stuff. But, like I always say..."speed ONLY comes from playing fast." And, by "speed".... I mean the type of speed required to play Extreme Metal.
You'll never get there....if you don't try to push those tempos out.

That said....anyone can push out fast notes for a few measures...not many can do it for 32 bars at a time. That's where those endurance exercises come into play.

I've come up with a good analogy to compare drummers wanting to achieve these goals...in relation to a real life situation...
Here goes...
You're driving down the interstate and your car runs out of gas just 3/4 of a mile to the exit.
What are your options?
Here are 2...
1. Push your car to the exit and get gas. You can then "relax", get a soda and catch your breath before return on your journey.
2. You sit and wait for someone to stop and help you. You "relax" and wait....maybe "stick your thumb out" to stop someone who can assist you, etc....
Will someone stop? Will you get the "help" you need?
By the time this happens......the guy that chooses option 1....is likely already back on his journey....ahead of the game.

I see so many drummers asking for advise and direction.....rather than just doing it.
The ones who wait on direction....are the one's who are always behind.

Remember that... when thinking about physical principles like this.

Cheers,
D.
Awesome. Thanks for getting back to me on that. Very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 PM
dale w miller's Avatar
dale w miller dale w miller is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BKLYN, NJ
Posts: 486
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Dale...it was good meeting you as well.

I'm actually based in Florida....So yes, Namm next year....or, I've got some clinics coming up this year...some in TX, I believe.
I'll keep you posted. Would like to hang again.

Cheers,
D.
Actually I am based in New York City. Like my friend Matt Thompson & Vinnie Paul, I guess I thought all you metal guys lived in TX. Ha! Either way, I will be in touch for sure. I'll try to see if FLA is on this year's tour. We hit Gainesville, Tallahassee, the usual college town circuit when it is that supports Indie rock. Thanks for chatting.

---------------------------

For all you metal guys too, be sure to check out my friend from my hometown and King Diamond drummer Matt Thompson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0hDuNNwoaA Love that kid! Like Derek he's quite an eclectic player too. http://www.mattthompsondrums.com/
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 PM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 7,877
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Haha...yeah, the book is GREAT for this stuff. But, like I always say..."speed ONLY comes from playing fast." And, by "speed".... I mean the type of speed required to play Extreme Metal.
You'll never get there....if you don't try to push those tempos out.

That said....anyone can push out fast notes for a few measures...not many can do it for 32 bars at a time. That's where those endurance exercises come into play.

I've come up with a good analogy to compare drummers wanting to achieve these goals...in relation to a real life situation...
Here goes...
You're driving down the interstate and your car runs out of gas just 3/4 of a mile to the exit.
What are your options?
Here are 2...
1. Push your car to the exit and get gas. You can then "relax", get a soda and catch your breath before return on your journey.
2. You sit and wait for someone to stop and help you. You "relax" and wait....maybe "stick your thumb out" to stop someone who can assist you, etc....
Will someone stop? Will you get the "help" you need?
By the time this happens......the guy that chooses option 1....is likely already back on his journey....ahead of the game.

I see so many drummers asking for advise and direction.....rather than just doing it.
The ones who wait on direction....are the one's who are always behind.

Remember that... when thinking about physical principles like this.

Cheers,
D.
Wow....that's an awesome analogy.
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 02-22-2009, 05:15 AM
MaidenFanSte MaidenFanSte is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 21
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

I just want to post to say that I got your book and that it's more help than I thought was possible.

Honestly....thanks a million!
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:07 AM
drummingman's Avatar
drummingman drummingman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 820
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

hey derek,
i think i remember reading somewhere where you said that you would not be able to keep up the level of playing that you are at now for much longer. if that is what you said what did you mean?
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
hey derek,
i think i remember reading somewhere where you said that you would not be able to keep up the level of playing that you are at now for much longer. if that is what you said what did you mean?
No that's not what I meant. Playing this style is easier now than it ever has been...in fact.
What I said was......because I haven't been playing 16th at 250bpm for 1 1/2 hours a night... for 6 weeks that....my endurance is not what it used to be.
It was harder at the time to keep the tempos up..... as I wasn't doing it a lot.
That was an old statement and since I've been playing consistently with Serpents Rise....Keeping those fast tempos..... is cake.

Cheers,
D.
Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 02-27-2009, 06:53 PM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Derek,

Firstly, I think you're so freaking awesome! You kick some serious butt!

I have a question. Did you ever learn jazz? My drum teacher right now is trying to get me to play jazz, but it's not working out for me. We've been at it since August. I understand why he wants me to learn jazz, but I just don't think it's worth it. I prefer to play rock, metal, punk, alternative, and funk from time to time.
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
Derek,

Firstly, I think you're so freaking awesome! You kick some serious butt!
Why, thank you! I try.
Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
I have a question. Did you ever learn jazz? My drum teacher right now is trying to get me to play jazz, but it's not working out for me. We've been at it since August. I understand why he wants me to learn jazz, but I just don't think it's worth it. I prefer to play rock, metal, punk, alternative, and funk from time to time.
Well, I started on Jazz, Big Band and Blues, so yes.
Jazz isn't something you just "learn" anyway.
What I've found most effective... when trying to "learn" different styles is.... to forget about the drumming and learn "the Music".
If you can learn what type of structure (it's different than Rock and Roll, or metal, punk, etc) you'll have an easier time getting the "music" down..... Then worry about the chops part of it.
It's like learning another language.
I think it's necessary to learn all the different styles of music because you never know what you'll get called to do.
You want to be able to play everything right?
If not.....you should. It will keep you working longer than the people who don't.

Cheers,
D.
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 PM
drummerchick435's Avatar
drummerchick435 drummerchick435 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Birmingham, AL, USA
Posts: 972
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Why, thank you! I try.
Haha.



Well, I started on Jazz, Big Band and Blues, so yes.
Jazz isn't something you just "learn" anyway.
What I've found most effective... when trying to "learn" different styles is.... to forget about the drumming and learn "the Music".
If you can learn what type of structure (it's different than Rock and Roll, or metal, punk, etc) you'll have an easier time getting the "music" down..... Then worry about the chops part of it.
It's like learning another language.
I think it's necessary to learn all the different styles of music because you never know what you'll get called to do.
You want to be able to play everything right?
If not.....you should. It will keep you working longer than the people who don't.

Cheers,
D.
Darn you for opening up my mind! I prided myself on being a close-minded butthole. lol. sarcasm. Seriously, thanks!
__________________
I drum for Him.
Psalm 150

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 02-28-2009, 04:00 AM
drummingman's Avatar
drummingman drummingman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 820
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
No that's not what I meant. Playing this style is easier now than it ever has been...in fact.
What I said was......because I haven't been playing 16th at 250bpm for 1 1/2 hours a night... for 6 weeks that....my endurance is not what it used to be.
It was harder at the time to keep the tempos up..... as I wasn't doing it a lot.
That was an old statement and since I've been playing consistently with Serpents Rise....Keeping those fast tempos..... is cake.

Cheers,
D.
thanks man for answering my question. i post on your forum as well. your easier to get here then there hahaha. got a few more questions for you if you dont mind.
i saw the clip of you again at the modern drummer fest last night on youtube. they have some good shots of your feet! are you still doing flatfoot when doing doubles bass there? i ask cause it looked like you were using just ankles.
as is im still going back and forth on which way i should play fast double bass, using mostly legs or just using ankles heels down for double bass playing. when im using all legs when i get about about 144 bpm doing 16ths i feel like im killing myself. im at about 133 bpm doing 16ths heels down and that is still hard. i can see the great potential heels down using just ankles has though. but as is im slow with it. a lot of people using the technique where they hold their heels just a little of the pedals and just use their ankles. that dons not work for me because it makes my back hurt to much. thats one of the reasons why i started looking into heels down.
i have heard people say that george kollias uses a combo of hip flexors and ankles at fast speeds. to me it looks like he is using just ankles at the fast speeds with his heels held just a little off the pedals. do you know what he is doing when play fast double bass? i ask because i have heard a number of people talk about a mix of ankles and legs at fast tempos. when im doing the flat foot my ankles are pivoting on the pedals but the main amount of motion is coming from my legs and hips.
also, do you have any plans to be doing any clinics on the east coast anytime soon? it would be cool to come out and check out your playing live. i was supposed to see you with hate eternal a few years ago but you guys were not able to make it. i heard some people say that you guys had van trouble in new york and thats why you could not make the show. im not sure if you would remember that but the show was supposed to be at a club called jaxx in springfield virginia.
thanks for the help
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 03-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Drummingman.....
You think about this stuff WAAAYYYYY too much. Haha.

Don't worry about "this technique" or "that one", "who does what"....none of that means SQUAT!!!!

The people you look up to...that are playing this stuff...didn't have the internet to ask questions....instead....they just found a way and did it.

It takes time, and lots of practice but, no amount of searching for an answer is going to make it any easier.
Put on your headphones....jam out songs until you can play them. That what I did......that what WE ALL did.
We're all different in our approach but, we all have one thing in common....
Time spent.

Cheers,
D.
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 03-01-2009, 10:29 PM
drummingman's Avatar
drummingman drummingman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 820
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Drummingman.....
You think about this stuff WAAAYYYYY too much. Haha.

Don't worry about "this technique" or "that one", "who does what"....none of that means SQUAT!!!!

The people you look up to...that are playing this stuff...didn't have the internet to ask questions....instead....they just found a way and did it.

It takes time, and lots of practice but, no amount of searching for an answer is going to make it any easier.
Put on your headphones....jam out songs until you can play them. That what I did......that what WE ALL did.
We're all different in our approach but, we all have one thing in common....
Time spent.

Cheers,
D.
hahaha i do spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff. im glad your not sick of talking with me about it haha
im pretty sure of what way is gonna get me fast on my feet. but its just that im starting over in a way and i guess thats what has got me thinking about it so much. i just got to put in the time.
thanks for getting back to me again man!
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 AM
drummingman's Avatar
drummingman drummingman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 820
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

being that im still pretty slow do you have any suggestions for what to do when i go to hook up with another band that wants like 200 bpm double bass and i cant do it yet? i figure that i will do something that i can do, but i have to admit that that worries me a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Therma lobsterdore's Avatar
Therma lobsterdore Therma lobsterdore is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 354
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

You could play sixteenth note triplets instead of sixteenths, personally I'm not gonna join a fast metal band till I can play 200bpm consistently (not quite there yet!).
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Fox622003's Avatar
Fox622003 Fox622003 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,069
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therma lobsterdore View Post
You could play sixteenth note triplets instead of sixteenths, personally I'm not gonna join a fast metal band till I can play 200bpm consistently (not quite there yet!).
Hmmmm maybe you mean 8th note triplets? (16th note triplets are faster than 16ths!)
And drummingman, maybe you could use your floor tom too for a single bass drum double bass drum effect (as in one pedal, double pedal sound). Or just not play constant double bass and play different figures separated through the beat.

Oh and Derek! such a Pro answering questions so often, thanks so much for your dedication and playing, you're a great influence to many people.

Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
being that im still pretty slow do you have any suggestions for what to do when i go to hook up with another band that wants like 200 bpm double bass and i cant do it yet? i figure that i will do something that i can do, but i have to admit that that worries me a bit.
I think you'll find that a lot of the time....these Musicians are just throwing numbers out there because, they hear others doing it.
9 times out of 10 they don't ever know what they are talking about.

Stop the numbers game and play.

D.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Hello everyone.
I have a cover spot in Sickdrummer Magazine this month.

It's a web based Mag and you can get info here...
www.sickdrummer.com
Anyone can register for a free subscription in about 30 seconds.

Cheers,
D.
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 AM
drummingman's Avatar
drummingman drummingman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 820
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
I think you'll find that a lot of the time....these Musicians are just throwing numbers out there because, they hear others doing it.
9 times out of 10 they don't ever know what they are talking about.

Stop the numbers game and play.

D.
thanks a lot man again for your thoughts. as is im actively looking for a band again, i just gotta find the members.
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 03-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Construct's Avatar
Construct Construct is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 194
Default Re: Derek Roddy playing some killer grooves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental Nausea View Post
BIG FAT QUESTIONMARK you are doing blasts at 250?? hand to hand? and for how long?
Where do these people come from? Chill out dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Stop the numbers game and play.

Awww, but I like numbers. As long as it sounds good of course.
Reply With Quote
  #341  
Old 03-22-2009, 05:06 AM
MikeyOdrums's Avatar
MikeyOdrums MikeyOdrums is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Providence RI
Posts: 295
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Derek
I am a real huge fan of your drumming, wanted to put my youtube channel up for your viewing

www.youtube.com/mikeodabashian

check em out let me know what you think.
Thanks Mike
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 03-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Infernal Valkyrie's Avatar
Infernal Valkyrie Infernal Valkyrie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 188
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

You're the man, Derek. Very unique playing.
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Bernhard's Avatar
Bernhard Bernhard is offline
Founder Drummerworld
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riehen - Basel - Switzerland
Posts: 2,098
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

NEW VIDEO FROM FRANKFURT:

I posted this in another thread, but got no feedback:

Just a little teaser:

Our DEREK RODDY jamming VERY SOLID GOOD OLD ROCK. This band played with no rehearsal - and Bassplayer and also Paul Gilbert are great.

Directors Cut: Rough material - guitar only from behind - enjoy till the end...then Derek is giving some....

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/forclaudepfau.mov

Bernhard
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
asmodeus asmodeus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Hi Derek! I hope you're doing great!

I was at the Frankfurt Messe performance. At both, your solo performance and with Paul Gilbert. You were great!
I wanted to ask what the name of the "more quiet" song of your set was (i think it is in 5/8, 6/8). Is it available in any form?

Cheers!

Stefan
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 04-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Trains''s Avatar
Trains' Trains' is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 19
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Hey Derek,

i just wanna say thank you for the great talk at the Musikmesse. I enjoyed it very very much. It was a honor to meet you ;-)
Really appreciate it!


All the best Derek!

Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 04-09-2009, 11:37 PM
tiagocampos's Avatar
tiagocampos tiagocampos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 5
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
Drummingman.....
You think about this stuff WAAAYYYYY too much. Haha.

Don't worry about "this technique" or "that one", "who does what"....none of that means SQUAT!!!!

The people you look up to...that are playing this stuff...didn't have the internet to ask questions....instead....they just found a way and did it.

It takes time, and lots of practice but, no amount of searching for an answer is going to make it any easier.
Put on your headphones....jam out songs until you can play them. That what I did......that what WE ALL did.
We're all different in our approach but, we all have one thing in common....
Time spent.

Cheers,
D.
FINALY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS ME! eheh

ok that's it guys, turn of your computers and go practice! :D

Derek you rock dude! haha
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 04-16-2009, 08:15 PM
MagicLemur MagicLemur is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 10
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Ya I'll agree that my internet connection probably hinders my playing more than it helps. Mostly because i spend too much time on this damn forum lol. I've never had a drum teacher though just because i don't have the money, so i've had to rely on online lessons and youtube which is actually very helpful. I like that i can get different teachers' perspectives on lessons and why they use certain lessons over others. So I guess its a double edged sword.

P.S. D-Rod awesome drumming! And congrats on the sickdrummer cover. Do you have any good lessons or recommendations for time keeping? Excercises for speed/endurance seem pretty straightforward like you've been saying, and when i practice i see improvements. But now my time keeping is slacking. I play along to music and a metronome which helps, but jamming with friends is another story. When my guitar playing buddy messes up (which happens quite often lol hes learning) it often messes me up too. Is there a mental way around this? Or should i just get more musically inclined friends? heh. Thanks for taking the time to answer 9 pages worth of questions on this thread lol you're a better man than I.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 05-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Toza's Avatar
Toza Toza is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 315
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

hi derek I got 2 questions, about your 2minutes practice methods.(4-4,8-8,12-12,16-16)
1. when you play blast for last two minutes, do you only play blast using right foot?
2. this is maybe stupid question but when i practice this foot exercises on a floor (not drums), and my second foot is resting. Would it be better for resting foot to stay in heel up position, or resting in heel down????:) I'm asking this because after working on your book, i have realized that only problem that i have is balance, and just want to say that this exercises are also gr8 for balance;)
__________________
kicks like thunder, snares like gunshot
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 08-09-2009, 03:28 AM
tom2zip's Avatar
tom2zip tom2zip is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 27
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Hello Derek! I'm a huge fan!
I wasn't that into death/black metal music before but after listening to you playing inspired me a lot.
And weirdly enough, i was using the 'flat foot' technique without even noticing myself. One day I just started playing like that and didn't even know what it was called. :D
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 08-14-2009, 02:53 AM
jake_larson jake_larson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 104
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Derek I just want to say your amazing in all your death metal acts and at the 08 modern drummer festival. I do have one question, i heard a rumor that you are looking into getting some non-metal gigs and I was wondering if you could clarify that.
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 08-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicLemur View Post
P.S. D-Rod awesome drumming! And congrats on the sickdrummer cover. Do you have any good lessons or recommendations for time keeping? Excercises for speed/endurance seem pretty straightforward like you've been saying, and when i practice i see improvements. But now my time keeping is slacking. I play along to music and a metronome which helps, but jamming with friends is another story. When my guitar playing buddy messes up (which happens quite often lol hes learning) it often messes me up too. Is there a mental way around this? Or should i just get more musically inclined friends? heh. Thanks for taking the time to answer 9 pages worth of questions on this thread lol you're a better man than I.
Thanks for the props man......
About the best thing I can recommend for time keeping is doing something like this.....In all types of varying slow tempos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQwgy...e=channel_page
And, just playing to a click a lot.... will build your internal clock.

I guess that's the best you can do.....and if the guitarist is having problems....make him play to a click too! Haha.

Cheers,
D.
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 08-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toza View Post
hi derek I got 2 questions, about your 2minutes practice methods.(4-4,8-8,12-12,16-16)
1. when you play blast for last two minutes, do you only play blast using right foot?
2. this is maybe stupid question but when i practice this foot exercises on a floor (not drums), and my second foot is resting. Would it be better for resting foot to stay in heel up position, or resting in heel down????:) I'm asking this because after working on your book, i have realized that only problem that i have is balance, and just want to say that this exercises are also gr8 for balance;)
Hey there Toza,
O.K. I'll give this a shot....
1. The 2 minute exercises were designed to use both feet and and both hands, so no......
I 'll do equal amount of time for each hand and each foot. Don't just isolate one.
2. It would be best to lift that foot completely OFF the ground. This.... takes away that "human kick stand" and forces your back to keep your body "in balance".
Do you do the balance exercies I put on-line many years ago? Single strokes in these 4 combos (again 2 minutes each)...RH/LF - LH/RF - RH/RF - LH/LF. When you get comfortable...you can add a "back beat" with the limbs you aren't using.

Try those on for about a month and see what happens.

Cheers,
D.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2zip View Post
Hello Derek! I'm a huge fan!
I wasn't that into death/black metal music before but after listening to you playing inspired me a lot.
And weirdly enough, i was using the 'flat foot' technique without even noticing myself. One day I just started playing like that and didn't even know what it was called. :D
Cheers Tom....you know. this whole flatfoot issue isn't some mystical thing....it's the way most of us play without ever knowing it. Haha. Flatfoot is still heel up....it's just using more of your leg as opposed to your ankles.

Cheers,
D.
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmodeus View Post
Hi Derek! I hope you're doing great!

I was at the Frankfurt Messe performance. At both, your solo performance and with Paul Gilbert. You were great!
I wanted to ask what the name of the "more quiet" song of your set was (i think it is in 5/8, 6/8). Is it available in any form?

Cheers!

Stefan
Hi Stefan...thanks a lot.
Hummm....it is a Traumedy tune but, I don't remember which ones I played.
Most of those tunes are on my youtube channel....look for Traumedy and my channel is MrObsidian. Hit me back here if you find it....I'll give you the details.

Cheers,
D.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trains' View Post
Hey Derek,

i just wanna say thank you for the great talk at the Musikmesse. I enjoyed it very very much. It was a honor to meet you ;-)
Really appreciate it!


All the best Derek!

Rock on man....it was great to meet you as well. Maybe again someday.

D.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Derek Roddy's Avatar
Derek Roddy Derek Roddy is offline
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 546
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_larson View Post
Derek I just want to say your amazing in all your death metal acts and at the 08 modern drummer festival. I do have one question, i heard a rumor that you are looking into getting some non-metal gigs and I was wondering if you could clarify that.
Thanks you Jake. I had so much fun at the MD fest....although, my stomach was right up in my throat!!!! Haha.

That's no rumor at all. I've been playing other styles of music my whole life. In fact, metal was the last form of music that I got into. I came from a very musical family and there was all types of music in the house. I play all types of gigs...in all types of musical situations......It's just that... all most anybody really gives a crap about is... all the fast stuff....so, that's what I'm known for. Haha.

Cheers,
D.
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 08-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Drewbrew Drewbrew is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 68
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Hey Derek i had never really listened to your drumming until recently and wow was i blown away. You are an extremely talented musician. But let me get straight to the point. I was wondering how you develop your hand and foot independence because you have a great ability to play complex rhythms with your hands on top of a killer double bass pattern
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Gretsch09 Gretsch09 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesnowta, Eh
Posts: 56
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

I was fortuante enough to be at the 2008 Modern Drummer Fest in NY last year. Your performance blew my mind. I remember you performed first on day two and it was way too early for me, being that I was vacationing in NYC! My head was pounding after the first nights festivities but it was still great. I was also lucky enough to win one of the door prizes that included a Meinl 14 inch filter china that you signed! It says "Blast On!" It hangs on the wall in my practice room now. What a cool, and unexpected gift! You should of seen my face when they called my seat number! I was completely shocked!

Last edited by Gretsch09; 08-25-2009 at 02:53 AM. Reason: wanted to address Derek rather than than just talk about him
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 08-28-2009, 11:43 AM
aydee aydee is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,269
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Hey Derek,

i want to join in on the chorus and just say that I'm as far removed from metal music as a musician can possibly get, but I was completely blown away by your inventiveness, and the wonderfully unique & powerful voice you have on the drums. It was a real stand out performance and a real pleasure to watch!
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 08-29-2009, 05:02 PM
arthurk1's Avatar
arthurk1 arthurk1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Vegas/Tourbus
Posts: 232
Default Re: Derek Roddy here!

Hello Derek, I must say that I totally love watching and listening to you play and the great advice you give the young drummers out there. I watch the MD Festival performance all the time and always end up saying, "Man that is so awesome"! I was curious as to why on most of your youtube videos of you practicing, you have coated heads and live you have clear heads? Anyway, love your drumming and keep up the awesome, totally inspiring playing. Arthur
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com