DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Default Gibraltar Drop Clutch doesn't work

I just got a Gibraltar Drop Clutch for my hi-hat, the same model as seen here: http://www.music123.com/Gibraltar-SC...t-i11765.music

So when I hit the black switch thing, the hats disengage fine, but when I want to re-engage them, I press down on the pedal, and the little arm doesn't hook on properly to the clutch. I think that you're supposed to just press the pedal to re-open the hi-hats, as far as I know, but right now for me to re-open them I have to use my hand to push the black switch back up, making the hook arm latch onto the clutch. Can I do something to just be able to press the pedal to open my hi-hats? I'm pretty sure I have everything set up correctly because it looks like the picture online.

P.S. I did search the forums but nobody had a thread about the same problem.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Gibraltar Drop Clutch doesn't work

Huh... odd...

Are you pressing hard enough on the pedal? Maybe since it's new the spring in it needs to break in maybe? Not the norm but you never know...

I have one by DW that I've been using for 10+ years and have had no problems, though the rubber is starting to show wear... One by Gibraltar shouldn't be any different, other then a lower price tag.

Simple gadget. hit the black rubber arm to disengage, step on the pedal to re-engage...

edit: only other thing I can think of is maybe the hook is miss shaped slightly or placement is off a little and is getting in the way of it sliding on correctly and hooking on to the clutch...

Last edited by Zalloy; 05-18-2007 at 12:54 AM. Reason: thought...
Old 05-18-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
I just got a Gibraltar Drop Clutch for my hi-hat, the same model as seen here: http://www.music123.com/Gibraltar-SC...t-i11765.music

So when I hit the black switch thing, the hats disengage fine, but when I want to re-engage them, I press down on the pedal, and the little arm doesn't hook on properly to the clutch. I think that you're supposed to just press the pedal to re-open the hi-hats, as far as I know, but right now for me to re-open them I have to use my hand to push the black switch back up, making the hook arm latch onto the clutch. Can I do something to just be able to press the pedal to open my hi-hats? I'm pretty sure I have everything set up correctly because it looks like the picture online.

P.S. I did search the forums but nobody had a thread about the same problem.
Wait a second... what do you mean by you have to push the black switch "back up"?

after you disengage, is the arm getting stuck pointing down and not coming back up automatically as it should? If so, you might have a defective product.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 AM
da cheese walks

my one was doing that for a while....i think?(you rdescriptions slightly vague?)....basically it was just the side the hook was on....for some odd reason it wouldnt hook onto the side closest to me on the clutch....so had to just twist it slightly an worked fine....
Old 05-18-2007, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalloy View Post
Wait a second... what do you mean by you have to push the black switch "back up"?

after you disengage, is the arm getting stuck pointing down and not coming back up automatically as it should? If so, you might have a defective product.
It's not like that because the black switch is able to go back up, it's just that the hook at the bottom doesn't go completely around the thing.

I don't know if I could make that more vague... but anyways...

I special-ordered this at Sam's Music, and it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it like manafacturing-wise. But I tried twisting it to a different direction like Da Cheese Walks said, and now it works fine.

Thanks for the help anyways, now I just have to work it into my double bass when I get the chance.

Sometimes I stop playing just 'cause it's fascinating to me how they made it work with the little lever and all that. Probably the first thing I've ever bought for my drumset that is so cool yet totally unnoticable.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:39 AM

Leave it up to me to over think things... lol...

Maybe it's because the clutch has room to wiggle slightly while riding on the rod... missing the correct angle at times to re-engage.

Anyway, glad to hear it's working for you now.

Yeah, I like my drop clutch too. Neat gadget.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:06 AM

yeah I had one of those. it worked wor a while then it would drop the hats without warning. Just return it and get a new clutch.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:19 AM
Gold Member

Did you make sure your using a slanted peice so that it goes over with ease?

Myspace-Add me!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:27 PM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
I special-ordered this at Sam's Music, and it doesn't look like there's anything wrong with it like manafacturing-wise. But I tried twisting it to a different direction like Da Cheese Walks said, and now it works fine.

Thanks for the help anyways, now I just have to work it into my double bass when I get the chance..
huzzah!!yeah man clutches are great.....just bought mine last week....they can really help you do some funky stuff with your hats an double bass....an then back into some lovely hat work!!!woop!
Old 05-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher View Post
Did you make sure your using a slanted peice so that it goes over with ease?
Uh... what?

Hey, I'm not a n00b anymore! Now I know why people always say "2020202020" etc. 'cause I got the little message to lengthen my message!
Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

i had the exact same problem...but i fixed mine..what you do is (if it is like mine) take the big felt pad off where the top hits the bottom....and there should be a felt pad there...but thats what i did...and it worked perfect!>..hope it works for you!
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 05-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

That's what I love about the clutch... it looks cool and yet non-drummers and even some drummers wouldn't notice it, like here:

Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 AM

check out www.billdidit.ca - the Coady Clutch
Old 08-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

You may have a faulty clutch. I've had mine for a few months now and it's worked fine since day 1.