DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-16-2009, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Show us your tiny kits

Here's my tiny kit. I've shown it before but...
Name:  DSC03409revised.JPG
Views: 16366
Size:  102.4 KB
Soon to be assembled with a proper bass drum, tiny kit meets 16" bass drum build:http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ass+drum+build
Attached Images

Last edited by numa_cruiser; 05-01-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here's my tiny tits...er...kit. I've shown it before but...
Numa you're worse than Larry! Any more than a carful is wasted, isn't that what they say? :)

There are some seriously sexy cymbals on this page! The Instanbuls look great. What do they sound like?

I was getting a new snare head today and I was chatting with one of the customers who recommended the Zildjian Beautiful Baby as an awesome crash ride. I came across a thread here today and everyone who has them seems to like it. I love cymbals (in moderation, of course :)

I'm tossing up replacing my Profile with one and maybe *ouch!* replacing the stomp box with a kick. Not 100% sure the experiment worked at the moment. It's great for low volume but when we're in a bigger space ...
Old 06-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I'm tossing up replacing my Profile with one and maybe *ouch!* replacing the stomp box with a kick. Not 100% sure the experiment worked at the moment. It's great for low volume but when we're in a bigger space ...
you're probably better off with a real kick i would imagine, just get like a 16" floor tom off ebay they're pretty easy to convert.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, I guess so. The stomp box seems better suited to use with hand drums than with a kit. It was a bit of an impulsive buy in hindsight.

A dark red Rhythm Traveler in the shop today caught my eye. Maybe just use one tom so the djembe is still close ... I might have to post in the Show Me Your Massive Kit!!! thread at this rate :)
Old 06-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Hi Polyanna
I used have been using a set of Pearl Rhythm Travelers on small club gigs for several years. I use a high end snare and cymbals....Placed Evans Hydraulic on the toms....I'll mike the bass drum and one overhead mike. I have tuned them to sound great.
Easy to load in and out..very small foot print. Works for small rooms short pay gigs.
Use Gretchen or DW's for larger rooms and better paying gigs.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:57 PM

I don't know about "tiny," but this one's pretty small. 14 SD x 15 FT x 20 BD.
Attached Images

Last edited by boomstick; 12-23-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:07 AM

[Here's my tiny tits...er...kit. I've shown it before but...
Attachment 27188
[/quote]

I don't really think you can show pictures of that kit enough! Really nice, how do those cymbals sound?
Old 07-31-2009, 12:42 AM

^ I agree. Those Istanbuls are gorgeous!
Old 07-31-2009, 03:09 AM

I took mine down a notch, just for kicks.
Attached Images

Last edited by boomstick; 07-31-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:24 AM

Gretsch catalina maple.

14" Snare, 14" Floor Tom, 16" Floor Tom as bass drum. Sounds NICE.

Cymbals are
14" 1972 Zildjian A New Beat
20" ZBT Ride with aftermarket hammering, sounds like a K Custom.

Vater 5b Gospel, ProMark hot rods. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

Witchcraftery, I have only ever heard the Catalinas talked about in glowing terms. It looks like you've focused on quality rather than quantity.

I played just one gig with my stomp box kit. I really did miss using a pedal and DI'ing through the PA, slaved through a small amp, is a bit of a pain - leads all over the place and we all know how flaky leads can be.

Here is the mini kit in action at a restaurant - possibly never to be seen in action again in its current form (and hopefully my goofy look in the shot won't be seen again either): http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/pix/B...els18Jul09.jpg

Now the confession ... I have become a traitor to the small kit ranks and bought a monster Terry Bozzio set: http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/pix/N...StuffJul08.jpg

Ok, it's a red wine Rhythm Traveller Gig Kit but I'm just using the 12" tom, along with the djembe. After some testing I took away the inverted 6" splash because its overtones were making the Stagg splash sound even trashier than it already did. The great thing about Stagg spl/crash cymbals is you only crash 'em when you have no choice - helps with discipline :) Still, two of them together can make a reasonable and cheap hi hat setup for the light of touch.

One thing about the RT Gig kit. Call me crazy but it makes no sense to me for Pearl to attach a snare drum to a stand from the bass drum. At first I was too excited to engage brain and wanted to try the kit out fully set up. Naturally every beat on the kick created a serious rattle in the snare. Well, duh! However, the snare's too small for my standard snare stand so, even though I like its look and sound, I'm sticking with my vintage Premier. Very tight squeeze on a 10" snare with brushes too.

The RT toms aren't flash and have to be tuned carefully - not much margin for error to find the sweet spot between *boing!* and *blugh*. I haven't quite found it yet but I'm sure it exists :)
Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
I took mine down a notch, just for kicks.
Wow, sexy finish that is!
Old 08-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Gold Member

What! No cocktail kits?

GJS
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 AM

Hey guys, sorry about the lag in reply. My wife just gave birth to our first baby boy. The Istanbuls are amazing. They are dark and a little trashy with a semi-short sustain but just enough brightness to explode and last to make the point. Hope that description helps. They are a hybrid lathed/unlathed top with a lathed bottom.

I now have the 16" bass drum set up with my full kit as a remotely operated secondary kick on a "Frankenstein" pedal I rigged up. I guess I'll have to post it on the Monster Kits thread.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

Congrats on the baby boy! I bet he takes your mind of drumming quite a lot.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:51 PM

how do you mount your pedal when you use a 16" floor as a bass??
I use right now a 22 x 18 bass with a 14" snare and a 10" piccolo tom
14" hats and a 8" splash
Old 08-05-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that sounded good. But he sounds like the kind of guy who could make a couple of garbage bins kick, um, donkey.
That and there's a lot of aux percussion

FWIW - the wife has a RT kit - she was using is like Norge..as an E-kit (It's still got the homebrew transducers)
that we put back to an acoustic kit that is just sort of the extra basher kit now

The toms, being concert style, are what they are - so you just have to approach them on their terms (nice thing is you can nest em for transport, which is i suppose one of the big reasons) - they have a somewhat flat, dry sound (not necessarilly bad, but it's that style).and I think erring to a ringier head kind of works out better (a more controlled head can just get REALLY dry)

The kick - well it seems sensitive to the tuning (and I'm not sure we ever really got it dialed - but haven't revisited it in a while, might be nice to pull to back out)
Technique wise, burying the beater didn't seem to work that well...just not enough resonance to carry it - an open "tympani" hit seemed to let the sound stay reasonably open

One thing about the tom mounts on the kick - they are a decent bit closer that on a more common depth kick - so if you are mounting off those you have to sort of work through that
(the spurs are kind of close and shallow too, so mounting a bunch of aux percussion off em can be destabilising)

dunno - I'm certainly no expert on em. I mention the experience b/c I think it kind of points to the challenge of approaching them
if you are used to setting up "deeper" drums (where maybe you have to work subtractively, controlling resonances, etc) these little guys can kind of throw ya as I think you have to look to preserve/promote more of those resonances - so you have to go off "autopilot" in terms of your set-up strategy

Last edited by justjim; 08-05-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
pic#2 - two snares? One with snares on, the other with snares off? Cherry kick looks cool
If you're talkin' to me, the cherry drums are both toms, 10" and 14", and I dig the hue quite a lot myself.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:25 PM

Here are my kits:

Pearl Export EX, 16" bd and 14" snare
and my favorite
Sonor Force 3007 Jungle kit, 16x16", 10x8", 14x12" and 12x5"
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a pic of my Rhythm Traveler. It was taken at a gig by my guitar player. The String Band always puts that backdrop behind the drums at every show that we play. I thought that the pic came out really good.
Attached Images

Last edited by bobdadruma; 02-28-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Here is a pic of my Rhythm Traveler. It was taken at a gig by my guitar player. The String Band always puts that backdrop behind the drums at every show that we play. I thought that the pic came out really good.
Looks great, Bob! How does your band like the RTs?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:31 PM
TFITTING942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberto View Post
Here are my kits:

Pearl Export EX, 16" bd and 14" snare
and my favorite
Sonor Force 3007 Jungle kit, 16x16", 10x8", 14x12" and 12x5"
Hey Boberto, I have been thinking about converting a floor tom or buying the Jungle kit. Which one do you like better as far as playing them goes? Is the jungle kit worth it or should I just convert a floor tom?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Looks great, Bob! How does your band like the RTs?
Everyone in all three bands that I play with loves it! The RT continues to be an asset at my practice sessions. Every musician appreciates the less space that I take up in the room and the lower practice volumes.
I shared the kit with another drummer at a two band gig last Sat and the other drummer also liked it.
It was fully mic'd up at an outdoor party. Thats where that pic was taken.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Everyone in all three bands that I play with loves it! The RT continues to be an asset at my practice sessions. Every musician appreciates the less space that I take up in the room and the lower practice volumes.
I shared the kit with another drummer at a two band gig last Sat and the other drummer also liked it.
It was fully mic'd up at an outdoor party. Thats where that pic was taken.
Yes, thats one of the nice things about the RT - it's not imposing.

I'm just using the 12" tom (as per my pic link below). It sems like there's not a lot of wiggle room with the shallow shell between a good and not-so-good sound. Did you find that? I'm trying to work out how it wants to be tuned. I've come a bit closer this week but still no cigar.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:00 PM

polly - what heads are you using
Have you considered using the 14 as your mounted tom (don't know if it'll suit you better, but it is an option))
Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, thats one of the nice things about the RT - it's not imposing.

I'm just using the 12" tom (as per my pic link below). It sems like there's not a lot of wiggle room with the shallow shell between a good and not-so-good sound. Did you find that? I'm trying to work out how it wants to be tuned. I've come a bit closer this week but still no cigar.
Sorry, I don't see the pic link that you speak of?
The RT is like that movie with Jack Nicholson. "As Good As It Gets"
It has many quirks, But you can learn to overlook them and find a Happy Place. What my band mates like is that they can get the feel of the drum presence while they work on their sound. We even have conversations as we play now.
I used to play with Blaststicks when we worked on the details of our material. The Blasticks didn't give enough real drum and cymbal sound to feel the music. When I play the RT with 7a's, The volume is just right for practice.
When I practice alone it also helps me because the absence of resos allows me to hear every hit on the drums. When I practice, I play the Traveler for a while and then I move to my big Gretsch kit. The workout on the Rhythm Traveler primes me for the full size Gretsch. Thats the best that I can explain it. Its kind of like having a beer before you have a shot of whiskey!
As far as tuning goes, I simply tune all of the toms to 75 on the Drum Dial. I tune the snare batter and reso to 80. I tune the bass to 75, both batter and reso. I added an Aquarian SK I to the bass batter. The bearing edges are true. The heads tune evenly with the Drum Dial. The kit is well made!
When I play small gigs such as private parties. I don't have to lug all of my heavy drums. I have learned that people in general can't tell the difference between the traveler and a full sized kit. Guests at the parties look at the drums and they ask questions about it. The kit becomes a conversation piece. Kids at the parties love to play it on band breaks. I give mini lessons to them. Thats entertainment, Relating to your audience, Letting the kids play on breaks adds to the party. The parents love it.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-12-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:58 AM

There is my kit, nothing special. I'm still working on replacing the beginner kick, but it sounds good enough that I haven't really gotten around to it.

22"x18" Kick
13"x3" Piccolo Snare
13" Quick Beat A Hats
18" A Rock Crash
22" A Custom Ping Ride
DW 5002 Pedals
Cowbell
Old 08-12-2009, 03:12 AM
TFITTING942

Quote:
Its kind of like having a beer before you have a shot of whiskey!
Bob, spoken like a true Gentleman...
Old 08-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sorry, I don't see the pic link that you speak of?
Bob, there was my mini kit at a party in a restaurant:
http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/pix/B...els18Jul09.jpg

And the RT:
http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/pix/N...StuffJul08.jpg

Quote:
The RT is like that movie with Jack Nicholson. "As Good As It Gets" It has many quirks, But you can learn to overlook them and find a Happy Place.

What my band mates like is that they can get the feel of the drum presence while they work on their sound. We even have conversations as we play now.
I used to play with Blaststicks when we worked on the details of our material. The Blasticks didn't give enough real drum and cymbal sound to feel the music. When I play the RT with 7a's, The volume is just right for practice.
... As far as tuning goes, I simply tune all of the toms to 75 on the Drum Dial. I tune the snare batter and reso to 80. I tune the bass to 75, both batter and reso. I added an Aquarian SK I to the bass batter. The bearing edges are true. The heads tune evenly with the Drum Dial. The kit is well made!
Interesting info, thanks Bob. I don't have a drum dial and already spent a fortune of late so I won't rush out for one just yet, tho' some tuning help would be good. One of the guys at my usual drum shop swears by Aquarians ... trouble is, they don't stock them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim
polly - what heads are you using
Have you considered using the 14 as your mounted tom (don't know if it'll suit you better, but it is an option)
Jim, I'm just using the stock double layer Protone. It seems pretty similar to a pinstripe to me. The RT Gig Kit doesn't actually have a 14, just an 8, 10 and 12", so as you can see I'm already going for that BIIIG BOOOM hahaha

Even the kick drum, at 16", is smaller than Danny Carey's floor toms. The kick is weird, set a couple of inches off the ground on four legs, so when you look at it from the front it looks like a hungry animal with the O hole in the front kick skin. Last rehearsal our singer went down on his haunches in front of the kick drum and opened his mouth wide open. Wish I got a photo :)

My current band is so laid back that, even with a fluffy Vater Vintage Bomber Beater on the kick and a couple of make-up pads dampening the kick I have to be careful not to be too loud! So, while I miss the quality of my old Rogers 13" mounted and 22" kick, it's just as well I have small drums these days.

I even use Vic Firth Kidsticks, which are not much over 12" long to keep the volume down (they took some getting used to but I love them now). Super light. Even so, last practice we tried Little Wing for the first time because our bassist was sick and couldn't show, and it gave me a rare chance to try out the tom properly, but my tiny kit - with my tiny sticks and fluffy beater and makeup pads was STILL dominant!

http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/mp3/R...-Wing-fill.mp3

The tom sounds like it's tuned a tad low for its range in this ... hmmm, a drum dial, eh? :)
Old 08-12-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Jim, I'm just using the stock double layer Protone. It seems pretty similar to a pinstripe to me. The RT Gig Kit doesn't actually have a 14, just an 8, 10 and 12", so as you can see I'm already going for that BIIIG BOOOM hahaha

Wow I didn't realize the RT came in anything besides "regular" (I'm US so "regular" is whatever USA uses and the rest of the world is "weird" :D ) -- 22, 10,12,14

I'm wondering if you might be more happy with single ply concert head like an Evans strata or a Remo Renaissance Ambassador ...FWIW we had coated pinstripes on the wife's, we thought they were maybe a little too "controlled" (internally damped)

I actually was thinking you might like the larger size specifically because you don't play at high SPL -- I personally find the teeny drums get kind of flat when 'underplayed' (I like quiet too, but I started music as a classicl[al] guitarist, so "rockin out" isn't my native anyway) - so I'm thinking more in terms of resonance than projection
(wife plays with mallets a lot, she likes a soft, defined-pitch tympani like sound on her floor toms...she recently stole my 18" - but doesn't like a lot of volume for that kind of stuff.
though she's Jekyl&hyde -- she also has one of those chad smith snares which is, basically, an ear rape. I think she likes it just so she can "visit upon thine ear with unspeakable sonic mayhem" when most inappropriate)

I tend to like the sound of a larger diameter, maybe uptuned
last time we had our RT out, we tuned the 12 to the 10s pitch and liked the sound of the 12 better, not because of volume, but b/c it wasn't as deadwoody and felt more sensitive at low volume - plus there was a variety of workable timbres as you moved off-center, which I think it nice on a smaller [in number of pieces] kit

but, I think as bob was speaking to with the drum dial - it does (to me at least) seem pretty tuning sensitive in terms of really getting even tension on the head (I suppose b/c it's a relatively simple resonator system - so the tuning that you do have carries a lot of weight in the system).
hmm, now that I think about it, it's a lot like tuning a typical two-stroke engine...the powerband is generally peaky and narrow and it's really sensitive to your ignition timing and getting the mix...jussst right
They just don't have that many parts, so each adjustment does a lot

Quote:
Even the kick drum, at 16", is smaller than Danny Carey's floor toms. The kick is weird, set a couple of inches off the ground on four legs, so when you look at it from the front it looks like a hungry animal with the O hole in the front kick skin. Last rehearsal our singer went down on his haunches in front of the kick drum and opened his mouth wide open. Wish I got a photo :)
I'd like to see it - with or without it battling your vocalist(I didn't see a pic earlier, but I thought saw ref to a pic you had of it, but maybe that was your old kit)

One of our doggies likes to stick his head in the drums, we try to discourage it, but he loves sounds...I have to admonish him not to try to jump at my (string) double bass..he like the bow

Last edited by justjim; 08-12-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bob, there was my mini kit at a party in a restaurant:
http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/pix/B...els18Jul09.jpg

And the RT:
http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/pix/N...StuffJul08.jpg

Interesting info, thanks Bob. I don't have a drum dial and already spent a fortune of late so I won't rush out for one just yet, tho' some tuning help would be good. One of the guys at my usual drum shop swears by Aquarians ... trouble is, they don't stock them ...

My current band is so laid back that, even with a fluffy Vater Vintage Bomber Beater on the kick and a couple of make-up pads dampening the kick I have to be careful not to be too loud! So, while I miss the quality of my old Rogers 13" mounted and 22" kick, it's just as well I have small drums these days.

I even use Vic Firth Kidsticks, which are not much over 12" long to keep the volume down (they took some getting used to but I love them now). Super light. Even so, last practice we tried Little Wing for the first time because our bassist was sick and couldn't show, and it gave me a rare chance to try out the tom properly, but my tiny kit - with my tiny sticks and fluffy beater and makeup pads was STILL dominant!

http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/mp3/R...-Wing-fill.mp3

The tom sounds like it's tuned a tad low for its range in this ... hmmm, a drum dial, eh? :)
I don't mind the stock Protones either. I have read many posts here on DW that put them down, but I have no problem with them. I see from your pic that you taped a muffler to your tom. Im puzzled as to your reason for this. The tom doesn't sustain very long with no reso head. Im wondering why you chose to dampen the drum further.
I bought a DrumDial about a year ago. It took me some experimenting to get used to it. I now swear by it! It saves me a great deal of time! I still fine tension by ear. The dial gets me close. You should try one. Don't be discouraged at first. The dial has a learning curve to it.
Other drummers say that Im a good tuner. I have tuned many a drummers drums for them. I have a lot of experience with tensioning bolts on cars. I work as an Automotive Tech. (35 years experience) I frequently tune multiple carburetors on vintage cars by ear. (Ferrari, Porsche, MG, etc) I can torque nuts and bolts by hand and later check them with a torque wrench and be dead on spec! I think that these skills from my automotive experience has helped me to tension drums. I can sense the torque on a drum lug by feel, as well as by ear.
The sizes on my Rt are different than your kit. 10, 12, 14, toms, 13 snare, 20 bass.
I liked your sample of Little Wing! Here is mine. I was playing my big kit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxNcXkVqbhU
you can see me in this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSSwC...eature=related

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-13-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:49 AM

extra dampening does seem a bit odd to me as well - always seems to me like the challenge is getting those guys to ring
I suspect that maybe Polly is "EQing" - damping out weird overtones possibly from uneven head tensioning so maybe it ain't ringing true

I hear ya on the carbs -- cut my teeth on the brits and was a holdout from the "just slap a weber kit on it" guys, then again, I left those lever shocks on MGs too...which was probably mistake ;) -- I think something can be said for "tuning" in general, whatever the system...realizing, by feel, that changing this is going to also effect that, getting a feel for how far to back out as you pass over the sweet spot, etc
Old 08-13-2009, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
extra dampening does seem a bit odd to me as well - always seems to me like the challenge is getting those guys to ring
I suspect that maybe Polly is "EQing" - damping out weird overtones possibly from uneven head tensioning so maybe it ain't ringing true

I hear ya on the carbs -- cut my teeth on the brits and was a holdout from the "just slap a weber kit on it" guys, then again, I left those lever shocks on MGs too...which was probably mistake ;) -- I think something can be said for "tuning" in general, whatever the system...realizing, by feel, that changing this is going to also effect that, getting a feel for how far to back out as you pass over the sweet spot, etc
Slapping the Weber on! That is what The Drum Dial is to me. It gives me a place to start. I know that only you and I will understand the Weber vs SU multi carb analogy!
If the RT's aren't evenly tensioned, there will be unwanted tones.
I think that perhaps Polly's band plays at such a low volume that she is trying to make her drums play at a level that is too low. Drums can only get so quiet. Even small ones.
Polly is playing with child sticks. I use Zildjian 7a hickory. I also use the stock Pearl RT foot pedal or an Iron Cobra with the felt beater on my bass. Polly uses a fluff beater with extra padding on the batter head. I play a lot louder than she does.
I love the sound when I thwack the toms on my RT at almost a rimshot angle to produce an accent during rolls etc, but without hitting the rim. I get them to sing a
bit that way.
I played a kit with concert toms for 20 years, so the lack of resos doesn't bother me. I find kits with resos more of a challenge.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-13-2009 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim
I'm wondering if you might be more happy with single ply concert head like an Evans strata or a Remo Renaissance Ambassador ...FWIW we had coated pinstripes on the wife's, we thought they were maybe a little too "controlled" (internally damped)

I actually was thinking you might like the larger size specifically because you don't play at high SPL -- I personally find the teeny drums get kind of flat when 'underplayed' (I like quiet too, but I started music as a classicl[al] guitarist, so "rockin out" isn't my native anyway) - so I'm thinking more in terms of resonance than projection
I'll give the Protone a bit of time to settle in and experiment with tunings but your ideas are on board. Not sure about Remo. The Ambassador snare head lost tone so quickly - despite my Kidsticks and general softness (incl. half of the set played with brushes).

To Bob & Jim - I live in a flat and can't play kit at home. My flat has a lot of wood and flat surfaces so when I first got the kit, while tuning the tim it was almost like I was letting off a cannon! Once I got it in the studio I could hear that the dampening on the tom sounded lousy and took it off. The sound clip I put in my previous post was the tom undampened. I've since tuned the drum up a bit.

Yeah, ideally I'd have a bigger tom but I'm not spending any more $$ once I pick up the case for the kick I ordered. I've spent an awful lot of time and money on a band that's not that serious. Must be mid life kicking in :)

Bob, good to see you guys gigging and that your crew seem capable of extricating themselves from wives/partners and work long enough to get the arrangements tight. Not easy to find at our age. Your toms were low in the mix so it was hard to judge the tuning, though. The RT toms sounded good on the sound bite that you posted previously. Yes, a quirky sound; they have their own nice quality. But, as Jim said, they probably need a decent thumping to bring out their best.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Here is my entry into the mini kit parade.

16 x 16 Catalina Maple Bass w/conversion kit
10 x 9 Renown Maple tom
4 x 14 Keller Piccolo snare...home made

p.s. if anyone has any tuning tips for a non-ringing bass sound my ears are open. I have a Fibreskin reso and
a pinstripe batter.
Attached Images

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 08-20-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

As promised, here's the RT Gig Kit, complete with kick drum that looks a bit like an animal with a wide-open mouth:

Pardon the blurry shot; the light in the studio was about as good as my camera and photographic skill.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
As promised, here's the RT Gig Kit, complete with kick drum that looks a bit like an animal with a wide-open mouth:

Pardon the blurry shot; the light in the studio was about as good as my camera and photographic skill.
I see what you mean by the "Wide Open Mouth".
Just curious, Why did you put such a large porthole? On a drum that size, its like having no reso at all! I only put a 3 1/2 inch hole in mine. I thought that that was large! I have a 20" bass.
You also have a lot of stuffing in that drum. I would have used a hand towel folded flat at the bottom just to take some ring off. Im using an Aquarian SK I on my bass, with nothing inside. On a drum that small I would use an Aquarian Performance II as a batter with nothing inside. Try it. I recommend that for Gruntersdad also. He also asked about dampening his small bass.
The kit looks great! I love small kits!
What are you using for a snare?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:39 PM

My modified Dddrums

Old 08-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just curious, Why did you put such a large porthole? On a drum that size, its like having no reso at all! I only put a 3 1/2 inch hole in mine. I thought that that was large! I have a 20" bass.

You also have a lot of stuffing in that drum. I would have used a hand towel folded flat at the bottom just to take some ring off. Im using an Aquarian SK I on my bass, with nothing inside. On a drum that small I would use an Aquarian Performance II as a batter with nothing inside. Try it. I recommend that for Gruntersdad also. He also asked about dampening his small bass.

The kit looks great! I love small kits!

What are you using for a snare?
Bob, believe it or not, the kit came from the factory with that hole in the front head. It's a 16" drum and the hole is 6". A foam block comes with the kit and the hole seems to be sized so the block fits through. I added a towel so I don't drown out my volume-shy bandmates. I'm the only one with a genuine rock background (jazz/classical/folk/blues) and I'm the only one to have played hard rock, and I've played heel up since 1976. Every now and then I break into the Kashmir beat at rehearsals to freak 'em out :)

I am still learning to play quietly with a kick pedal, bearing in mind that until now I haven't used a bass drum and pedal for about 8 months (I used a stomp box for a while) and can't practice at home due to volume issues. You heard the sound snippet of Little Wing. The prominent kick sound in it was a 16" drum stuffed with crap and struck with a big fluffy jazz beater - lol.

Thx for the tip re: the Aquarian. I'll do that once I have the kick situation more sorted out.

I agree that the small kits on this thread are really appealing. Even with small setups we still manage to have a wide range of setups and a few quirks. Grunter doesn't seem to have any cymbals. Lang has chimes. Everyone has different numbers, types and sizes of cymbals. For my kit, the 10" djembe seems to set up its look. I got the snare with my first kit - no name on it - and a jazz drummer who my sister went out with for a while said it was a vintage Premier. I have the biggest O-ring dampener (old head cutout) on it that I've ever had, with only a six inch hole to keep the volume down.

I think I'll have to agitate for us to turn up a bit!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

This is my two piece kit I use for my acoustic gig every wednesday.

24x14 gretsch
14x5 gretsch new classic chrome over brass
14" A zildjian quick beats
10" A custom splash
Rhythm-tech tamborine hi-hat ring