DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1041  
Old 06-10-2009, 06:11 AM
remoking's Avatar
remoking remoking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 256
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by andSometimesY View Post
The only good thing about Travis Barker is that he gets people in to drumming. The fact that he runs a clothing line or is in a famous group does NOT make him a better drummer, however. He is not a very skilled drummer, per se, but he does seem to be feeling the music that he plays, and that makes appear a bit more skillful to the non-drummer. I disagree with the above poster as I think that he is extremely overrated, but that is not Travis' fault, it is the people who talk about how good he is.
Running a clothing line most certainly does not make him a better drummer in any way lol. I mentioned that because Famous Stars and Straps is quickly becoming more and more popular everyday, and Travis is the mastermind behind it. More FSAS clothing = more recognition for Travis. Nor does Blink make him a better drummer. It's the fact that the three of them as a band are so successful at what they do, they have millions upon millions of fans.
Reply With Quote
  #1042  
Old 06-10-2009, 06:14 AM
andSometimesY's Avatar
andSometimesY andSometimesY is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 203
Default Re: Travis Barker

He is most certainly an accomplished man and not overrated at all as a person or celebrity, only as a drummer.
Reply With Quote
  #1043  
Old 07-22-2009, 10:49 PM
remoking's Avatar
remoking remoking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 256
Default Re: Travis Barker

here's a look at what Travis has in store for Blink 182 fans as they kick off their reunuion tour tomorrow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__4fn...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_MfdhKOqMc
Reply With Quote
  #1044  
Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Drums&Beer's Avatar
Drums&Beer Drums&Beer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 318
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoking View Post
here's a look at what Travis has in store for Blink 182 fans as they kick off their reunuion tour tomorrow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__4fn...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_MfdhKOqMc
Not to be outdone of course by the true master of the flying drumset

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i9xs_AG6BI
Reply With Quote
  #1045  
Old 07-24-2009, 05:12 AM
Kongo Kongo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 27
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoking View Post
hahaha. Sir, are you kidding me?!?

PLEASE tell me your joking. Their last album, the self-titled album, was a big departure from all previous albums, as it was darker, and heavier influenced, but without a doubt remains in the punk rock genre.

You're wrong. It's more punk pop/alternative. Bad Religion is punk rock, along with many other "real" punk rock bands. By the way, travis barker is very over rated.
Reply With Quote
  #1046  
Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 PM
remoking's Avatar
remoking remoking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 256
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
You're wrong. It's more punk pop/alternative. Bad Religion is punk rock, along with many other "real" punk rock bands. By the way, travis barker is very over rated.
You're very overrated and have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited by remoking; 07-26-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1047  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:05 AM
Kongo Kongo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 27
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoking View Post
You're very overrated and have no idea what you're talking about.
I have no idea? You crack me up. Please explain how I am overrated, I can't wait to hear this one, bub. I'm guessing you wear all Travis Barkers stupid clothes and try to be just like him. "Blink-182 is an American rock band from Poway, California that predominantly plays pop punk music"

Thanks, have a bad day.

P.S -


YDKS.
Reply With Quote
  #1048  
Old 07-28-2009, 05:15 AM
remoking's Avatar
remoking remoking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 256
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
I have no idea? You crack me up. Please explain how I am overrated, I can't wait to hear this one, bub. I'm guessing you wear all Travis Barkers stupid clothes and try to be just like him. "Blink-182 is an American rock band from Poway, California that predominantly plays pop punk music"

Thanks, have a bad day.

P.S -


YDKS.
You don't have any idea. You crack me up too. Allow me to explain how you're overrated. I'm sure you can't wait to hear this one, bub. I'm guessing you don't wear all Travis Barkers stupid clothes and don't try to be just like him. "Blink-182 is an American rock band from Poway, California that predominantly plays pop punk music" -Straight from wiki. Look's like someone has done their research. To flat out call me wrong is quite hysterical. Maybe you're thinking of AVA - they're Pop/Rock.

So. watch this early video of blink, and tell me it isn't punk. bub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZMqpBygM8U

Hahha and not saying that I do (I'm a 205 lbs. highschool football player; you'll usually catch me in a cut-off tee and some nike shorts) wear quote, "travis barker" clothes, but what would be wrong with that? It would be a way of showing support for an icon. It would be no different than wearing nike or underarmor.

P.S.

Want to re-think your "YDKS" comment now?

Last edited by remoking; 07-28-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1049  
Old 07-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Kongo Kongo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 27
Default Re: Travis Barker

Nah, I won't rethink anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s,_0%E2%80%93K


Read what it says for Blink-182.

A pop-punk band who were very popular between 1999 and 2005.


Let me guess, wikipedia is wrong....


LOL@U You're just a poser, and follower who has crappy taste in music that you don't even know what the real genre is.

LISTEN TO MESHUGGAH, THEY ACTUALLY HAVE TALENT.


P.S - Real punks bands are like "The Clash" - "The Addicts" "Bad Religion" "Dropkick Murphys"


WE CAN DO THIS ALL DAY.

The mainstream pop punk of latter-day bands such as Blink-182 is criticized by many punk rock devotees; in critic Christine Di Bella's words, "It's punk taken to its most accessible point, a point where it barely reflects its lineage at all, except in the three-chord song structures."


http://www.last.fm/group/Punk/forum/12570/_/288666


LET ME GUESS, THEY ARE ALL WRONG ALSO? ^

By the way, I'm still waiting for you to say how I'm over rated.
Reply With Quote
  #1050  
Old 07-30-2009, 10:42 PM
remoking's Avatar
remoking remoking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 256
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo View Post
Nah, I won't rethink anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s,_0%E2%80%93K


Read what it says for Blink-182.

A pop-punk band who were very popular between 1999 and 2005.


Let me guess, wikipedia is wrong....


LOL@U You're just a poser, and follower who has crappy taste in music that you don't even know what the real genre is.

LISTEN TO MESHUGGAH, THEY ACTUALLY HAVE TALENT.


P.S - Real punks bands are like "The Clash" - "The Addicts" "Bad Religion" "Dropkick Murphys"


WE CAN DO THIS ALL DAY.

The mainstream pop punk of latter-day bands such as Blink-182 is criticized by many punk rock devotees; in critic Christine Di Bella's words, "It's punk taken to its most accessible point, a point where it barely reflects its lineage at all, except in the three-chord song structures."


http://www.last.fm/group/Punk/forum/12570/_/288666


LET ME GUESS, THEY ARE ALL WRONG ALSO? ^

By the way, I'm still waiting for you to say how I'm over rated.

ALL DAY BABY...ALL DAY

LOUD NOISES

Poser noob!!!








Yours truely, bub.

Last edited by remoking; 07-30-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1051  
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Serious Pie Enthusiast Serious Pie Enthusiast is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 34
Default Re: Travis Barker

there once was a day when music was bought from stores. and they categorized it as rock, jazz, pop and classical

now there's all this shit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._of_music:_A-F
__________________
I LIKES EM DARK
Reply With Quote
  #1052  
Old 07-30-2009, 11:32 PM
DrewTheShoe's Avatar
DrewTheShoe DrewTheShoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 309
Default Re: Travis Barker

This fight is not only immature (on one side, excuse me), but also one-sided and funny. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
__________________
Remo, Tama, Ludwig, and Zildjian?
Doesn't get much better than that...
Reply With Quote
  #1053  
Old 08-08-2009, 02:15 PM
jay_roub_drummer jay_roub_drummer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Gijon,Spain.
Posts: 43
Default Re: Travis Barker

Travis Barker is a great drummer.
who cares if blink182 is punk-rock,or pop-punk,or brutaldeath xD

He is an original drummer,and that´s all.
__________________
Saluda cymbals endorser.
www.myspace.com/drumming24_7
http://www.youtube.com/user/jairobateria
Reply With Quote
  #1054  
Old 08-08-2009, 06:59 PM
BoxcarDrummer182's Avatar
BoxcarDrummer182 BoxcarDrummer182 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 282
Default Re: Travis Barker

as a rolling stone article read in this month's issue, "blink182, either you love them or you hate them, is one of the defining bands of the last decade" let's be real here, blink182, as much as some of you must hate them, has really paved the way for every emo, pop-punk, punk, post hardcore, and scene band out there today. sure travis barker isn't the greatest drummer out there, but he has talent. i saw blink a couple nights ago in Mansfield, MA and travis's solo was really awesome. sure it was pretty simple (nothing but cool hiphop beats and 32nd notes) but it was entertaining if anything. i've been listening to blink since i was about 4 years old, dude ranch being my first cd, and i've always been nothing but entertained by them. some of the stuff is a little impressive but never anything jaw-dropping. but i dont think a band has to play in 19 different time signatures, change tempos every 4 measures, have sweeping guitar solos, and a monster drum set, to be impressive. it's the same thing with a lot of drummers. my friend told me "you're not that good cause you only play in 4/4 and don't do poly rhythms." and it's just like, why do i have to do that? i'm good at what i do, i can keep a beat, have a flashy fill once and a while, and stay on tempo. personally i hate drummers like mike portnoy, thomas hakke, and all those progressive players. not cause they're not good, but because i think it's just simply over playing. i'd rather listen to a simple bass on 1 and 3, snare of 2 and 4 song with a dirty guitar and root note bass line than a crazy poly rhythm, confusing guitar part, and almost robotic bass part. as paul mcartney once said "music shouldn't be confusing, it should be magically simple." so just because travis barker is flashy and not technical doesn't make him terrible. if you want to talk about amazing drummers, lets talk meg white...
Reply With Quote
  #1055  
Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,186
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarDrummer182 View Post
let's be real here, blink182, as much as some of you must hate them, has really paved the way for every emo, pop-punk, punk, post hardcore, and scene band out there today.

I think that may be a lot of peoples' problem with them :{
Reply With Quote
  #1056  
Old 08-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Mathew 7:21's Avatar
Mathew 7:21 Mathew 7:21 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 133
Default Re: Travis Barker

Im going to see Blink play on Wed. at Hershey Park. Im taking my 14 year old daughter. I like Barker I think he's the perfect drummer for that band....plays fast and clean. (Im 37) Ha Ha!!
__________________
Tama Starclassic B/B 20x22, 9x12, 12x14, 14x16
Reply With Quote
  #1057  
Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 AM
BoxcarDrummer182's Avatar
BoxcarDrummer182 BoxcarDrummer182 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 282
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
I think that may be a lot of peoples' problem with them :{
sure you can say that, but it takes a lot for a band to start a genre.
Reply With Quote
  #1058  
Old 08-14-2009, 06:29 AM
starkeydrums's Avatar
starkeydrums starkeydrums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 92
Default Re: Travis Barker

i scoured youtube for ANY travis barker video of him doing ANY good drumming.
my result: 0 vids. the only 'clever' one is where hes on the moving platform playing, as guessed, straight 16th notes with no groove, feel, or any other musical technicality.

imo, travis is a hack. and the only reason people like him is because he ''looks'' cool while playing. if they could open their eyes past that, then he wouldnt have such a large fan base.
sure, he came from blink 182, but all i ever saw in them was a grown-up jonas brothers... all looks, not-so-great music IMO
Reply With Quote
  #1059  
Old 08-14-2009, 01:15 PM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,186
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxcarDrummer182 View Post
sure you can say that, but it takes a lot for a band to start a genre.

Meh. I'd barely call it genre-starting, there were bands around before them that they took inspiration, and bands have subsequently done the same. Even so, it's such a poor and fruitless genre that it's better just to concentrate on their own output.
Reply With Quote
  #1060  
Old 08-15-2009, 01:32 AM
remoking's Avatar
remoking remoking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 256
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeydrums View Post
i scoured youtube for ANY travis barker video of him doing ANY good drumming.
my result: 0 vids. the only 'clever' one is where hes on the moving platform playing, as guessed, straight 16th notes with no groove, feel, or any other musical technicality.

imo, travis is a hack. and the only reason people like him is because he ''looks'' cool while playing. if they could open their eyes past that, then he wouldnt have such a large fan base.
sure, he came from blink 182, but all i ever saw in them was a grown-up jonas brothers... all looks, not-so-great music IMO
lol are you really comparing them to the jonas brothers? (don't think the jonas brothers are past the "PG" type of lifestyle) and I would like to see you beat travis in a drum off. Then I'll respect your comments.

One other thing, it's not like Travis set out to be a solo artist, professional drummer. So the fact that he's as famous as he is....must mean he's doing something right, considering he's just the drummer for a punk rock band.

Last edited by remoking; 08-15-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1061  
Old 08-15-2009, 05:54 PM
bbking bbking is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Default Re: Travis Barker

anyone else think travis is abit shit ?? not as good as steve vai man i love his fills on run to the hills !!! who agrees with me ??
Reply With Quote
  #1062  
Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 AM
182TB@rK3Rfan182's Avatar
182TB@rK3Rfan182 182TB@rK3Rfan182 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 5
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking View Post
anyone else think travis is abit shit ?? not as good as steve vai man i love his fills on run to the hills !!! who agrees with me ??

"His reputation is expanding faster than the universe. He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels. He lives vicariously for himself...He is, the most interesting man in the world"; Travis Barker.
Reply With Quote
  #1063  
Old 08-16-2009, 09:04 AM
DrewTheShoe's Avatar
DrewTheShoe DrewTheShoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 309
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 182TB@rK3Rfan182 View Post
"His reputation is expanding faster than the universe. He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels. He lives vicariously for himself...He is, the most interesting man in the world"; Travis Barker.
Alright, that's a Dos Equis commercial, and Travis Barker is nowhere near as awesome as the man that can speak Russian in French.
__________________
Remo, Tama, Ludwig, and Zildjian?
Doesn't get much better than that...
Reply With Quote
  #1064  
Old 08-16-2009, 03:24 PM
bbking bbking is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Default Re: Travis Barker

maybe you should stop staring at how 'cool' he looks and listen to some real drummers
Reply With Quote
  #1065  
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 PM
RollingStone000's Avatar
RollingStone000 RollingStone000 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: What do you care, you're not my mom.
Posts: 655
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking View Post
maybe you should stop staring at how 'cool' he looks and listen to some real drummers
Cold blooded... I like it.
__________________
"This message was paid for by the Committee to Re-invade Vietnam" - Jack Donaghy; 30 Rock
Reply With Quote
  #1066  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
182TB@rK3Rfan182's Avatar
182TB@rK3Rfan182 182TB@rK3Rfan182 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 5
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking View Post
maybe you should stop staring at how 'cool' he looks and listen to some real drummers
what?!? Drumming is all about LOOKING COOL. Travis does it quite well, while playing quite well. Endo story.
Reply With Quote
  #1067  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Bernhard's Avatar
Bernhard Bernhard is offline
Founder Drummerworld
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Riehen - Basel - Switzerland
Posts: 2,090
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbking View Post
anyone else think travis is abit shit ?? not as good as steve vai man i love his fills on run to the hills !!! who agrees with me ??
eleven or 12?

Bernhard
Reply With Quote
  #1068  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 PM
RollingStone000's Avatar
RollingStone000 RollingStone000 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: What do you care, you're not my mom.
Posts: 655
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 182TB@rK3Rfan182 View Post
what?!? Drumming is all about LOOKING COOL. Travis does it quite well, while playing quite well. Endo story.
Actually drumming is about keeping a rhythm and time, not about looking cool. Looking cool is just incidental bi-product, and it comes with what? Keeping time, being able to hold down the beat, and elaborating on tastefully. Barker looks like he's suffering from spasm when he plays. If he spent half of the energy he puts into making it look like he plays into actually playing he'd be able to do twice as much. End OF story.

P.S. He should really stop pouting during photo shoots. Pouting is NOT cool. This isn't the damn 1980's.
__________________
"This message was paid for by the Committee to Re-invade Vietnam" - Jack Donaghy; 30 Rock
Reply With Quote
  #1069  
Old 08-17-2009, 11:28 PM
182TB@rK3Rfan182's Avatar
182TB@rK3Rfan182 182TB@rK3Rfan182 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 5
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone000 View Post
Actually drumming is about keeping a rhythm and time, not about looking cool. Looking cool is just incidental bi-product, and it comes with what? Keeping time, being able to hold down the beat, and elaborating on tastefully. Barker looks like he's suffering from spasm when he plays. If he spent half of the energy he puts into making it look like he plays into actually playing he'd be able to do twice as much. End OF story.

P.S. He should really stop pouting during photo shoots. Pouting is NOT cool. This isn't the damn 1980's.
Ok ok, your right. Drumming isn't about looking cool. However, I have just as much appreciation for Travis Barker as I do for Steve Gadd, or Gene Krupa. I can also understand why so many people are upset that Travis recieves so much attention, moreso than many other professional drummers out there. However, Travis has always been involved with the teens/young adults. I'm sure if half of these people actually knew a thing or two about music/drumming, they would re-think their statement that Travis is "the best in the world". (more chances than not, people are just saying this as a figure of speech) BUT, because the majority of these people may not care about the technicalities of drumming, they don't really care to know much more about it, or do any of their own research. I have never thought Travis has ever set out to be THE BEST IN THE WORLD. He just does what he loves, doesn't brag about himself, appreciates all of his fans, and he enjoys life playing in one of the biggest punk/pop bands in the world. I attended a show they played the other night, with 30,000+ people at it...insaine. You gotta give him props for his speed and creativity though. ( A big reason why he is so much more famous than those average, crappy drummers for crappy bands that no one listens to like; Panic! At The Disco, All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, Boys Like Girls, and any other crappy emo wannabe band that was influenced by blink 182, but will never be as good) I think alot of technical drummers frown upon his style/looks/"coolness", which comes from Travis being so involved with the hip-hop lifestyle, playing with DJ AM and what not...However, the thing about Travis is, he's always been himself, since he first poped up in the music scene 15 years ago. It's not like he's gradually become more and more of something he hasn't already always been, just to get more attention from the younger generation of fans. His style, his look, his taste in music has always been the same.

Also, where did you come up with the fact that he complains about photo shoots lol? Did you read this in the press somewhere? Take a look at this video...looks to me that Travis is quite enjoying himself..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9a3rVvo3aA

Last edited by 182TB@rK3Rfan182; 08-18-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1070  
Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 AM
RollingStone000's Avatar
RollingStone000 RollingStone000 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: What do you care, you're not my mom.
Posts: 655
Default Re: Travis Barker

He is a very humble cat, I'll give you that. And I know he's a big Buddy Rich fan, and personality wise he's probably the polar opposite of Buddy. I've come to realize that it's not Barker I have a problem with, it's his damn fans (and the young ones in particular, who haven't been exposed to other things and may never be). And fans of drummers in general, they're the ones who start comparing one guy to another which ultimately comes down to the viewer/listeners perspective and preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 182TB@rK3Rfan182 View Post
Also, where did you come up with the fact that he complains about photo shoots lol? Did you read this in the press somewhere? Take a look at this video...looks to me that Travis is quite enjoying himself..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9a3rVvo3aA
I didn't mean it as he was complaining, but about a year or so after that first Blink album with him on it came out he gradually started posing with his lips pouting (don't know if it's because of the lip ring or what). To me, it makes him look like a douche. And I've seen interviews with him and he doesn't do that, but you put him in a photo shoot, and the guy
looks like he's pursing his lips.
__________________
"This message was paid for by the Committee to Re-invade Vietnam" - Jack Donaghy; 30 Rock
Reply With Quote
  #1071  
Old 08-18-2009, 01:00 AM
donv donv is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 545
Default Re: Travis Barker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOfsr9D-KXU

This really says it all.

Like Tommy Lee, he's a good musician, I like what he does and he's a great showman but he's a mediocre drummer. He's also one non-stop, anurism waiting to happen, after the fact heart attack ball of energy. If you look up amphetemine in Webster's it must say Travis somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #1072  
Old 08-18-2009, 05:11 AM
182TB@rK3Rfan182's Avatar
182TB@rK3Rfan182 182TB@rK3Rfan182 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 5
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone000 View Post
He is a very humble cat, I'll give you that. And I know he's a big Buddy Rich fan, and personality wise he's probably the polar opposite of Buddy. I've come to realize that it's not Barker I have a problem with, it's his damn fans (and the young ones in particular, who haven't been exposed to other things and may never be). And fans of drummers in general, they're the ones who start comparing one guy to another which ultimately comes down to the viewer/listeners perspective and preferences.



I didn't mean it as he was complaining, but about a year or so after that first Blink album with him on it came out he gradually started posing with his lips pouting (don't know if it's because of the lip ring or what). To me, it makes him look like a douche. And I've seen interviews with him and he doesn't do that, but you put him in a photo shoot, and the guy
looks like he's pursing his lips.
Yeah I agree with you about the fans. And for some people to compare Travis to other drummers from a different genre of music, who are escpecially known for DRUMMING, not Blink 182, I think is ridiculous.

About weather or not you think Travis looks like a douche, is your opinion lol. I think it may just be his facial posture???
heh.
__________________
Do what you want, and do it for yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #1073  
Old 08-18-2009, 05:13 AM
182TB@rK3Rfan182's Avatar
182TB@rK3Rfan182 182TB@rK3Rfan182 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 5
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOfsr9D-KXU

This really says it all.

Like Tommy Lee, he's a good musician, I like what he does and he's a great showman but he's a mediocre drummer. He's also one non-stop, anurism waiting to happen, after the fact heart attack ball of energy. If you look up amphetemine in Webster's it must say Travis somewhere.


I'm a little confused about your video post though???
__________________
Do what you want, and do it for yourself.

Last edited by 182TB@rK3Rfan182; 08-18-2009 at 07:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #1074  
Old 09-02-2009, 03:35 AM
DTL_Drummer DTL_Drummer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat1212 View Post
the thing with travis barker is that you have to undrestand that he is in a band with musically challenged ppl and as you might know alot of the blink 182 record and some of the transplants record was based off of his drum parts wich means he made the drums beats first then the other guys did the guitar and bass parts over it. So think about it if travsi started doing liek crazy odd time signatures and sincopated beats that arent straigth forward it would be way to hard for the other guys in his band to make anything up to. also you have to give him credit for what he has done is his genre compared to all the other bands.(example ecorprate marching is his music)

regarding his solo how its not very hard its because the kids who come to the blink show usually arnt like great musicains and mostly dont play music so he has to do a solo that impresses and they will enjoy since they paid 35 dollars to get in.

But he does have formal traning and he can do alot more than what he has donn with his bands.
that is not true. mark and tom from blink 182 would make up every song. travis has only made a couple. like i miss you. which is super easy. mark and tom are very talented for their type of music
Reply With Quote
  #1075  
Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 AM
SonOfChaos SonOfChaos is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 56
Default Re: Travis Barker

Perhaps this thread is simply too long.
Reply With Quote
  #1076  
Old 09-26-2009, 09:45 PM
remoking's Avatar
remoking remoking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 256
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Where's your supporting evidence? Which songs does Tré suck on?


'thats MY opinion i know some people may not like it and some yes but thats what i think you gotta respect me.'

I don't agree with your opinion... but why should I respect? You make no clear argument as to why Travis is so good.
I hate greenday so much...mostly because of their personality. It's like they try to be funny and serious at the same time, and that just doesn't work. They have like a couple OK songs from back in the day, but thats about it.

Anyways, here's an awesome clip from a camera on Travis' drum set from one of his solo's on the current tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJtszD5cMYs
Reply With Quote
  #1077  
Old 09-27-2009, 07:15 PM
benomino324's Avatar
benomino324 benomino324 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Default Re: Travis Barker

Look, Travis Barker is a great drummer, he deserves respect. He may not have double bass skills like The Rev or Portnoy, but he has a certain groove that makes his drumming interesting. Travis isn't lightening fast or anything, but he can play drums well. Enough said don't you think?
Reply With Quote
  #1078  
Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
supermacaco supermacaco is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17
Default Re: Travis Barker

Hi folks,
I am not a blink fan, I don't like them, but I can't deny Travis is a good drummer.
Don't really know how fast he is, or if he can play double bass, but, lets face it, he got groove and ideas, isn't that enough?
Here you can download some Travis Barker's Drum scores:

http://drumwatch.wordpress.com

Hope you enjoy them.
Bye!
Reply With Quote
  #1079  
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Drumbob Drumbob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 31
Default Re: Travis Barker

Travis Barker is a celebrity. This is because of his reality show, and his publicist. Anyone who is in the public eye I.E: tabloids, TV shows, internet tabloids, pays a publicist to get them into those things. That's the way the business works. A great publicist costs around 10-20 grand a month.

This is a drumming website. Travis Barker is an "OK" rock drummer. I've seen him live a few times, including this past Grammy performance. His time isn't great, his feel is shakey and he hits way too hard. His band is a good band for the kind of music they play. You can't compare these types of musicians with musicians who are really into music. Blink 182 are not 24/7 players who are masterful. They write good punk/rock songs and play their instruments well enough to perform those songs. They're not hired gun musicians that can play many styles. So you really can't judge Travis on the same scale that you would judge Steve Hass, Keith Carlock, or Vinnie Colaiuta on.

As far as drumming goes, Travis will not be remembered for his drumming. His drumming is pretty irrelevant in the world of music. Josh Freese is someone who in that style of music, will be remembered. There are hundreds of thousands of drummers across the world who play the drums better than Travis Barker. That's a fact. He's just a guy that got lucky.
Reply With Quote
  #1080  
Old 03-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Buddy9832 Buddy9832 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41
Default Re: Travis Barker

Travis Barker's drumming style is not necessarily my cup of tea. But with that being said, if you break down Travis' drumming to the basics of drumming. I.e. his ability to play chops/rudiments with ease, the speed at which he does so and the accuracy at which he plays them, I would he definitely is above average compared to most of the talented professional drummers.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com