DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 PM
rattat rattat is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6
Default 22" Bass Head Issues

Hi All,

I am new to the whole process of tuning and head selection. I have a 22" X 18" Ludwig Accent Custom kick drum. I would like to run it without any internal muffling. I really like a warm tight thud when I hit it. I bought a Remo Powerstroke 3 for the batter side, and left on the stock Remo UK resonant side. I tuned it just above LPP, and am getting a LOT of ringing from the drum. Any suggestions on how to make it tighter either with head selection or tuning. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-03-2009, 01:07 AM
starkeydrums's Avatar
starkeydrums starkeydrums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 92
Default Re: 22" Bass Head Issues

some drums will ring even with the best tuning (in my experience), and therefore, you will need internal muffling or a drumhead with muffling built right on it.
one of these would be the Evans EMAD2 batter with the Evans EQ3 reso. i dont have it, but my friend does and he doesnt even have anything in the bass drum and theres no ring.
if you dont want to spend $80-$100 on one drum, though, putting an unused pillow or blanket in there will quiet it up
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
RollingStone000's Avatar
RollingStone000 RollingStone000 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: What do you care, you're not my mom.
Posts: 655
Default Re: 22" Bass Head Issues

Personally, I'd definitely think about replacing that reso head if you're looking to go with no internal muffling. May be slap another PS3 on the reso side. Is the the head ported or not?
__________________
"This message was paid for by the Committee to Re-invade Vietnam" - Jack Donaghy; 30 Rock
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Cymbalrider's Avatar
Cymbalrider Cymbalrider is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: 22" Bass Head Issues

Definitely replace that stock reso head. I remember I noticed huge differences when replacing mine and even when I get new ones of different models. A Powerstroke 3 reso head would work fine. Try different tunings as well as in tuning the batter higher than the front or the other way around (my favorite). I like the felt strip method myself for additional dampening without killing the resonance of the drum completely.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 AM
witchcraftery's Avatar
witchcraftery witchcraftery is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 177
Default Re: 22" Bass Head Issues

STEPS TO EPIC BASS

1.) buy Aquarian Super Kick T2
2.) put your current batter head on reso side
3.) ??????
4.) profit!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Mikey Dangerous's Avatar
Mikey Dangerous Mikey Dangerous is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 268
Default Re: 22" Bass Head Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattat View Post
Hi All,

I am new to the whole process of tuning and head selection. I have a 22" X 18" Ludwig Accent Custom kick drum. I would like to run it without any internal muffling. I really like a warm tight thud when I hit it. I bought a Remo Powerstroke 3 for the batter side, and left on the stock Remo UK resonant side. I tuned it just above LPP, and am getting a LOT of ringing from the drum. Any suggestions on how to make it tighter either with head selection or tuning. Thanks in advance!

Hi rattat,
Try this..
Get a Remo Powerstroke 4 for the batter side and put the P3 on the reso.
The P4 is a 2-ply (and therefore thicker) version of the P3 and will provide a warmer, tighter punch.
It should also help to get rid of any unwanted ringing and overtones.
To add to this, I would also suggest sticking a Remo Falam Slam Pad to the
batter head where your pedal's beater makes contact with the head. It adds to the "thud".

For tuning, keep it loose and low to further help your desired sound along - basically, you want
no wrinkles in the head and tighten just to the point where you get a clear sound/note from the drum.

I run this head combo (with the Falam Slam Pad's) on both my 22" x 18" birdseye maple bass drum and my 20" x 16" birch bass drum - both with no muffling - and it works wonderfully in giving me a really tight, clean, and warm punch to both bass drums' sound.
To me, it's the "magic formula" for getting a great sound from your bass drum.


HTH,

Mike
__________________
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute (recording); Tama Artstar II Birdseye Maple (live)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 AM
DrUmMerCON's Avatar
DrUmMerCON DrUmMerCON is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Somewhere hairy and damp
Posts: 37
Default Re: 22" Bass Head Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeydrums View Post
some drums will ring even with the best tuning (in my experience), and therefore, you will need internal muffling or a drumhead with muffling built right on it.
one of these would be the Evans EMAD2 batter with the Evans EQ3 reso. i dont have it, but my friend does and he doesnt even have anything in the bass drum and theres no ring.
if you dont want to spend $80-$100 on one drum, though, putting an unused pillow or blanket in there will quiet it up

There you go! I have a EMAD1 Clear on batter and just stock Remo UX on res. EMAD2 should work for you very well on batter.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 PM
RollingStone000's Avatar
RollingStone000 RollingStone000 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: What do you care, you're not my mom.
Posts: 655
Default Re: 22" Bass Head Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Dangerous View Post

To add to this, I would also suggest sticking a Remo Falam Slam Pad to the
batter head where your pedal's beater makes contact with the head. It adds to the "thud".
Personally I found the Falam pad to be a little too clicky even when tuned low. Try having someone play it without the pad first and see if you like it and if not then add it. I've got a pad on my PS3 batter and I'm thinking now (havin been a few months down the road) that I liked it better without it. But to each their own.
__________________
"This message was paid for by the Committee to Re-invade Vietnam" - Jack Donaghy; 30 Rock
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: 22" Bass Head Issues

I run PS3s on both sides, 4" port on the front. I throw a crumpled-up t-shirt inside to absorb those high-frequency overtones. I'm at the point where I don't like to muffle any more than this as it just kills the boom of the drum. A 22x18" is small enough to have enough attack - it doesn't need dramatic muffling.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com