DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 PM

Default 22" Bass Head Issues

Hi All,

I am new to the whole process of tuning and head selection. I have a 22" X 18" Ludwig Accent Custom kick drum. I would like to run it without any internal muffling. I really like a warm tight thud when I hit it. I bought a Remo Powerstroke 3 for the batter side, and left on the stock Remo UK resonant side. I tuned it just above LPP, and am getting a LOT of ringing from the drum. Any suggestions on how to make it tighter either with head selection or tuning. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:07 AM

Default Re: 22" Bass Head Issues

some drums will ring even with the best tuning (in my experience), and therefore, you will need internal muffling or a drumhead with muffling built right on it.
one of these would be the Evans EMAD2 batter with the Evans EQ3 reso. i dont have it, but my friend does and he doesnt even have anything in the bass drum and theres no ring.
if you dont want to spend $80-$100 on one drum, though, putting an unused pillow or blanket in there will quiet it up
Old 08-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

Personally, I'd definitely think about replacing that reso head if you're looking to go with no internal muffling. May be slap another PS3 on the reso side. Is the the head ported or not?
Old 08-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Definitely replace that stock reso head. I remember I noticed huge differences when replacing mine and even when I get new ones of different models. A Powerstroke 3 reso head would work fine. Try different tunings as well as in tuning the batter higher than the front or the other way around (my favorite). I like the felt strip method myself for additional dampening without killing the resonance of the drum completely.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 AM

STEPS TO EPIC BASS

1.) buy Aquarian Super Kick T2
2.) put your current batter head on reso side
3.) ??????
4.) profit!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattat View Post
Hi All,

I am new to the whole process of tuning and head selection. I have a 22" X 18" Ludwig Accent Custom kick drum. I would like to run it without any internal muffling. I really like a warm tight thud when I hit it. I bought a Remo Powerstroke 3 for the batter side, and left on the stock Remo UK resonant side. I tuned it just above LPP, and am getting a LOT of ringing from the drum. Any suggestions on how to make it tighter either with head selection or tuning. Thanks in advance!

Hi rattat,
Try this..
Get a Remo Powerstroke 4 for the batter side and put the P3 on the reso.
The P4 is a 2-ply (and therefore thicker) version of the P3 and will provide a warmer, tighter punch.
It should also help to get rid of any unwanted ringing and overtones.
To add to this, I would also suggest sticking a Remo Falam Slam Pad to the
batter head where your pedal's beater makes contact with the head. It adds to the "thud".

For tuning, keep it loose and low to further help your desired sound along - basically, you want
no wrinkles in the head and tighten just to the point where you get a clear sound/note from the drum.

I run this head combo (with the Falam Slam Pad's) on both my 22" x 18" birdseye maple bass drum and my 20" x 16" birch bass drum - both with no muffling - and it works wonderfully in giving me a really tight, clean, and warm punch to both bass drums' sound.
To me, it's the "magic formula" for getting a great sound from your bass drum.

HTH,

Mike
Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeydrums View Post
some drums will ring even with the best tuning (in my experience), and therefore, you will need internal muffling or a drumhead with muffling built right on it.
one of these would be the Evans EMAD2 batter with the Evans EQ3 reso. i dont have it, but my friend does and he doesnt even have anything in the bass drum and theres no ring.
if you dont want to spend $80-$100 on one drum, though, putting an unused pillow or blanket in there will quiet it up

There you go! I have a EMAD1 Clear on batter and just stock Remo UX on res. EMAD2 should work for you very well on batter.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Dangerous View Post

To add to this, I would also suggest sticking a Remo Falam Slam Pad to the
batter head where your pedal's beater makes contact with the head. It adds to the "thud".
Personally I found the Falam pad to be a little too clicky even when tuned low. Try having someone play it without the pad first and see if you like it and if not then add it. I've got a pad on my PS3 batter and I'm thinking now (havin been a few months down the road) that I liked it better without it. But to each their own.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

I run PS3s on both sides, 4" port on the front. I throw a crumpled-up t-shirt inside to absorb those high-frequency overtones. I'm at the point where I don't like to muffle any more than this as it just kills the boom of the drum. A 22x18" is small enough to have enough attack - it doesn't need dramatic muffling.