DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Christ-Hammer

Default Drum modules!?!?!?!

What are the highest quality modules and is the Alesis DM5 a good module for triggering death metal bass drums?

Metal haters please don't comment, I am just looking for some friendly help here, not start a debate on who used what and why you hate triggers....
Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Christ-Hammer

Default Re: Drum modules!?!?!?!

Am I on the wrong forum for this question? Is everyone as technologically challenged as me in the music department?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 PM

I have a DM Pro from 1999... it would be very sufficient for death metal. I am not sure if the DM5's are newer then the DM Pro version but the Pro was much more worthwhile at the time because of a lot of features not seen on the dm5 and a higher sample rate.
If you're going to be looking for something to handle cymbals (especially hi-hat) there might be other modules that are better.

You may also want to look into the possibility of using an alesis trigger I/O interface and running it through a pc for the sampling. You could get much higher sample rates, and have much more control over your synthesizer. It looks like more and more electronic drummers are doing this.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Christ-Hammer

I'm mainly just looking to trigger my bass drums and buy a couple additional pads for some extra sound effects like bass drops and such. Is the bass drop featured on the module or are you able to load sounds on to it?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 PM

Dm Pro has no onboard sampling but it can be added through an expansion card and burned via midi sys ex with a computer. I may have misunderstood your question... are you looking at triggers or modules?
Alesis DM5 is the module... the triggers and trigger pads have different product ids.
If you're looking to sample YOUR bass drum sound then there might be better modules out there to handle that. Look for ones with built in sampling.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ-Hammer View Post
Am I on the wrong forum for this question? Is everyone as technologically challenged as me in the music department?
No, you just have less patience. Would've replied. Won't bother now.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Christ-Hammer

Its ok MFB, you can't hurt my feelings because your attitude really doesn't surprise me ha ha ha ha ha!!!! Anyway limpingtoad I am really just looking for a decent affordable module that can get me a pretty good sound until I am able to afford a nice kit and nice mics because I would much rather have a real drum sound rather than an electronic one in the long run I'm just not financially able at the moment, so you say the Alesis mods are pretty good?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
... Anyway limpingtoad I am really just looking for a decent affordable module that can get me a pretty good sound until I am able to afford a nice kit and nice mics because I would much rather have a real drum sound rather than an electronic one in the long run I'm just not financially able at the moment, so you say the Alesis mods are pretty good?
Well I'm saying they are what I have experience with. I have been very satisfied with my DMPro and have used the Dm5 before. I recommend looking at the pro if you can find one. There are a ton more samples on it, more inputs, expansion card slot that you could burn samples on to, it has an onboard effects processer, and a lot of other really nice features that aren't on the DM5. The other nice thing about the Alesis modules is that they don't require an additional circuit for the triggering like the Rolands do so you have a lot more brands of trigger pads and triggers available. But yeah basically using a dmpro you can get the sounds that will be recording quality level... people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this or a well mic'ed high-end drumset run through a board with effects and stuff.

There are downsides to the alesis modules though... while they have midi in/out/through they don't have a usb interface (except the trigger i/o that doesn't actually have samples on it) so if you plan on using midi to record you'll need an external midi box. also the hi-hat is pretty much on/off... so you can get 6 sounds from a hi-hat (open, close, edge open, edge close, pedal down, pedal up) but there are other modules out there that more closesly emulate a real hi-hat. I would recommend using the synth for the drums and special effects and using real cymbals for your cymbals (at least hh and ride) because you can be much more expressive with a real hi-hat and ride. If you are looking for something that can be used as a drum machine or sequencer, then Alesis modules are not what you'll want. There's no onboard sequencer or anything like that so the only way you could do this is to write sequences to an expansion card.

One thing is that a lot of people are concerned that electronics do not trigger fast enough, but this is not true in my experience. on my edrums I can roll and play extrememly fast single and double strokes without any problems. (this is also depends on the trigger pads you use)

What type of triggers or trigger pads are you planning on using with the module?

One last peice of advice is that if you haven't ever played on electronics before, you should definately do this before purchasing a module. There is definately a difference between them... good or bad... the electronics, no matter what you do, will always be a simulation of real drums and won't be able to really feel like the real thing.

I am currently working on a DIY Accoustic to Electronic Conversion. (using this method: http://edrums.info/ ) This was really just a cheap way to convert my drums to electronics so I can play on them and have the same feel as a real drumset. What i've found is that electronics pads often don't give the same "Feel" as drums. So far using that method i have converted a snare to electronic and it works REALLY well. The mesh heads feel much more similar to real drums too.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 PM

I play death metal drums and I got an old Alesis D4 off craigslist for 150 cdn. It does the job for me, there are about 5 different sounds that are good for death metal on that module and you can save a hell of a lot of money on them. All the early death metal bands used the D4 and those are some classic albums, you really only want the triggers to get the attack live and jamming with a band anyway, if you were recording you would blend triggers and mics on your kicks for a more real sound.

I use the "monster" sound, love it.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:18 PM

A lot of people use Alesis or Roland units to trigger their acoustic drums but I went the Yamaha DTXpress4 route and have had good luck out from it for about 3 years. If you are willing to take the time to tweak the sounds and the trigger sensitivity parameters, then you will enjoy it greatly. I always found the vast majority of the samples on the Alesis and Roland modules to be a little too synthetic sounding. On the Yamaha, they have sampled patches directly from their highest-end kits (oak, maple, beech custom etc). I usually layer one of those sounds underneath a second sound that I make for my attack sound (if you go the Yamaha route, ask me about that). It is compatible with my ddrum triggers and was also compatible with my old axis ekits as well.

Also, there are a couple of good sub-bass drops on it as well, which I may get into using live not sure yet though.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Christ-Hammer

I looked into the DM5 pro and it looks like the only reason its called pro is because it is a drumset and it is still using just a DM5 module..... The Yamaha sounds pretty cool too though, is there a guide that tells you what sounds are on the modules?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I looked into the DM5 pro and it looks like the only reason its called pro is because it is a drumset and it is still using just a DM5 module..... The Yamaha sounds pretty cool too though, is there a guide that tells you what sounds are on the modules?
Actually the DM5 Pro is the drumset that uses the DM5 for the module... but there was a module called the "DMPro" http://www.alesis.com/contentmgr/sho...p/id/1511/tt/5
Old 08-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Christ-Hammer

Looks like they don't sell it anymore... EBAY!!! lol
Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Christ-Hammer

Hmm, I would really like to know if there is a good stock bass drop sound effect on the DM5, I can't find an answer anywhere....