DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 PM

Default Question from a new drummer...

I'm still using the factory "pearl protone" snare batter head. everything else has been replaced, but the snare sounded fine when I bought the set. I've been learning for about 4 months now, and a pretty good size hole has formed on the coating in the middle of the head. There isn't a huge indentation, or craters, just losing the coating.

How detrimental is this? Should I go ahead and replace it?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Question from a new drummer...

You should definitely replace it. You don't really notice it since it's so gradual. But if you slap a new head on it, you'll probably be surprised at how much more livelier it'll sound. Not to mention that if you ever use brushes the coating is a necessity.

I started about six months ago myself and have gone from the original thin coated 2-ply, to a coated emperor (played it until the coating started noticeably coming off), to an ambassador (sounded nice for certain applications), to a Genera HD Dry (current, and liking it very much right now).

Now would be a great time to find a good head and tuning range for that snare.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone000 View Post
You should definitely replace it. You don't really notice it since it's so gradual. But if you slap a new head on it, you'll probably be surprised at how much more livelier it'll sound. Not to mention that if you ever use brushes the coating is a necessity.

I started about six months ago myself and have gone from the original thin coated 2-ply, to a coated emperor (played it until the coating started noticeably coming off), to an ambassador (sounded nice for certain applications), to a Genera HD Dry (current, and liking it very much right now).

Now would be a great time to find a good head and tuning range for that snare.
I went through a process like this with snare drum heads, and I too have moved onto the Genera Drys and enjoying them immensely.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the advice. I have noticed that my snares pop is more of a plop these days. As soon as I can spare the change I'll replace it. Probably with a Genera Dry since it seems to be highly recommended.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Gold Member

The protones are awful.

To me the place to start with any snare drum is a coated Ambassador, extremely versatile and gives you many different sounds with different tunings. If I can't get that to sound good on a snare I go for the CS.

To my ear the Evans Genera Dry is too dry for most snares--takes too much life out of the drum--but lots of folks like them.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
The protones are awful.

To me the place to start with any snare drum is a coated Ambassador

To my ear the Evans Genera Dry is too dry for most snares--takes too much life out of the drum--but lots of folks like them.
i would say the same things, really did'nt like the genera, the Ambassador and G1 Coated are both great heads

but if you're looking for something tougher - i'm playing the G2 Coated on my snare now, love it - it just won't wear out, the Evans Reverse Center Dot is also good and i have heard a lot of good things about the Remo Emporer X

good hunting!