DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 AM

Default Speed King Pedals is all I know!

I'm an old timer lol, and all I've ever played on was Speed King pedals. Reason being when I was a kid and played I bought Speed Kings because: there was no leather strap to break, they said Ludwig on them, they were called Speed King (sounded cool) and I didn't know anything else.

Due to the way life goes I quit playin' drums for a long time.

Way later in life I took up the drums again. When I went to buy pedals I was flabbergasted by the selection. After much research and window (price) shopping I just got Speed Kings again because it was a known thing for me. I didn't want to buy some new whiz-bang expensive pedals only to hate them and kick myself. At least I knew how Speed Kings were.

My son # 2 now has drums also and we broke down and got him some DW 8000 pedals. They are awesomely smooth and solid and nice lol. My instant impression when I played them was, "Oh, maaaaaan! How nice!" And he loves 'em.

(On a side note, after only a few weeks, on his right pedal, the spring broke on the bottom loop right where it attaches into the tension adjustment eyelet. I promptly bought a slew of replacement springs.)

At any rate, I read somewhere that Speed Kings were Ludwigs' very first product. It's my understanding that back then all drummers played heel down all the time...

...now here's the thing - the article went on to say that the "speed" of a Speed King was in the return of the beater, not the forward beating motion.

The internal dual springs in a Speed King push instead of pull like most other pedals.

The only things you can adjust are the spring pressures and somewhat the length of the beater rod.

They are a very durable no-fuss pedal. I've never broken one. Just buy some spray silicone lubricant lol.

Well, heck I just thought I'd throw in a couple of facts and opinions for any kids who wonder if they should get a Speed King.

Keep in mind this is coming from somebody (older dude) who's not too fancy with the footwork, never have been, never will be. Powerful, yes. Fancy, intricate, subtle and technical, no. If I can't do it I don't do it.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Speed King Pedals is all I know!

Speed King.....hmmm, sounds familiar.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Pioneer Member

I played a few speed kings when I first started. When I got my kit I got the speed king because that's what the guy I was taking lessons from played. Mine were before the newer footplate like shown in Harry's post which helped remedy the problem of that bottom strap breaking which is what happened to mine. Great pedals, heck John Bonham used them. It is amazing the choices now available
Old 07-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

I've always liked Speed King's great pedal. I've always wondered if Deep Purple named the song after it? i'm sure that's what Ian Paice played at that time.

Bonzolead
Old 07-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

I freaking love the Speed King pedal. I'm a young guy, and have seen a whole butt load of pedals with countless adjustments and and the like which are great, but not worth $500-600 in my opinion. I've also noticed a difference in the motion/dynamics of the SK compared to modern day pedals. To me, the SK feels like it's more of a vertical/up and down motion. As opposed to the modern pedals where it feels like the motion is more angled back or rotated in a sense, kind of like a diagonal motion or on an axis (not the pedal).
Old 07-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I'm an old timer lol, and all I've ever played on was Speed King pedals. Reason being when I was a kid and played I bought Speed Kings because: there was no leather strap to break, they said Ludwig on them, they were called Speed King (sounded cool) and I didn't know anything else.

Due to the way life goes I quit playin' drums for a long time.

Way later in life I took up the drums again. When I went to buy pedals I was flabbergasted by the selection. After much research and window (price) shopping I just got Speed Kings again because it was a known thing for me. I didn't want to buy some new whiz-bang expensive pedals only to hate them and kick myself. At least I knew how Speed Kings were.

My son # 2 now has drums also and we broke down and got him some DW 8000 pedals. They are awesomely smooth and solid and nice lol. My instant impression when I played them was, "Oh, maaaaaan! How nice!" And he loves 'em.

(On a side note, after only a few weeks, on his right pedal, the spring broke on the bottom loop right where it attaches into the tension adjustment eyelet. I promptly bought a slew of replacement springs.)

At any rate, I read somewhere that Speed Kings were Ludwigs' very first product. It's my understanding that back then all drummers played heel down all the time...

...now here's the thing - the article went on to say that the "speed" of a Speed King was in the return of the beater, not the forward beating motion.

The internal dual springs in a Speed King push instead of pull like most other pedals.

The only things you can adjust are the spring pressures and somewhat the length of the beater rod.

They are a very durable no-fuss pedal. I've never broken one. Just buy some spray silicone lubricant lol.

Well, heck I just thought I'd throw in a couple of facts and opinions for any kids who wonder if they should get a Speed King.

Keep in mind this is coming from somebody (older dude) who's not too fancy with the footwork, never have been, never will be. Powerful, yes. Fancy, intricate, subtle and technical, no. If I can't do it I don't do it.

Variety is the spice of life. Look at the new gear as inspiration. I could never go back to a speed king, or even a ludwig 400 series snare... too much past-life connected.

People usually want what they don't have (or haven't had), so kids are going to be the market for speed kings Ludwig hopes.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
I've always liked Speed King's great pedal. I've always wondered if Deep Purple named the song after it? i'm sure that's what Ian Paice played at that time.

Bonzolead
Yeah it is. I was doing some general drum history research just to read up on stuff and it's the first song to ever be named after a drum product. There may have been many since then but that is the first.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

I used Speed Kings in the early '80s when I was a beginner, partly because that's what Neil Peart was using at the time. After a few years away from my own drums (while in the Navy) I came back to my Speed Kings, and for me, they just didn't compare to the newer Yamaha's I'd been playing on while stationed in Japan.

What I like about newer pedals is that the chain drives (can) have cam rollers on them. I like the feel of that - that burst of acceleration at the end of the stroke. Round chain drive rollers (and Speed Kings) don't have that.

As for the Ludwig 400s, Les - I just got my first one, so it's new to me. but I know what you mean; you can never go back home.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've always wondered if Deep Purple named the song after it?
Google the lyrics, the song has nothing to do with a bass drum pedal, other than the name.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Speed King.....hmmm, sounds familiar.
Yes sir I remember the Speed King thread. :-)
Enjoyed it thoroughly and I like the floorplate.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes sir I remember the Speed King thread......
A simple DIY mod that's brings the pat.1938 Speed King into a slightly "more modern" world.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Intersting thread. TS, well i think you were unlucky if the spring broke on the right pedal of that DW. They're very reliable, i've had mine nearly 2 years now and everything still works fine, i think at least 25% of the regular users on here would testify to that too! It's one of the most popular pedals in existence. I haven't heard of a DW 8000 though? I thought it was just 4, 5, 7 and 9000?

Great idea to put a footplate on the speedking, it's such a simple thing that makes any pedal so much more stable imo. It's amazing to think that it was patented in '38. That thing you said about it pushing instead of pulling sounds a lot like the idea that trick are using on their direct drive pedals which are supposed to be the fastest and most direct feeling bass pedals you can buy today.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 07-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Google the lyrics, the song has nothing to do with a bass drum pedal, other than the name.
The songs not about the pedal but it is named after it.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
The songs not about the pedal but it is named after it.
While I certainly don't want to get into a "pissing match" over it, I find that a little hard to believe. Richie Blackmore, guitarist for DP, was refered to as the "Speed King", and also the "Black Knight". Speed King was also a very popular term to describe any hot rodder or motorcycle hellion who loved generous use of the throttle. And also a slang term for a drug user, as in the anti-drug campaign "speed kills". As Deep Purple In Rock was released in 1970 (I was a freshman in high school), I read plenty about that band, and not one interview ever mentioned Ian's drum pedal as the source of the songs name.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

I played and enjoyed my Speed King for thirty years. It is bullet prof! I don't play it much anymore. It is primitive as compared to my silent smooth Iron Cobra. I like all of the adjustments that my newer pedal has. The Speed King had its day!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
While I certainly don't want to get into a "pissing match" over it, I find that a little hard to believe. Richie Blackmore, guitarist for DP, was refered to as the "Speed King", and also the "Black Knight". Speed King was also a very popular term to describe any hot rodder or motorcycle hellion who loved generous use of the throttle. And also a slang term for a drug user, as in the anti-drug campaign "speed kills". As Deep Purple In Rock was released in 1970 (I was a freshman in high school), I read plenty about that band, and not one interview ever mentioned Ian's drum pedal as the source of the songs name.
I might be wrong then but I'm just sure I remember reading it or seeing it in a documentary or something (I think). You're explanation makes sense though.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Administrator

http://www.metrolyrics.com/speed-kin...ep-purple.html

Check the lyrics
Old 07-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Silver Member

I'll admit defeat here, and I would of gotten away with too if it wasn't for you pesky kids!
Old 07-13-2009, 02:47 AM

lol, freebird, but I bet they named their album Machine Head for... "machine head - a peg mechanism on the head of musical instruments such as the guitar, banjo, or double bass, used for tightening the strings".
Old 07-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
lol, freebird, but I bet they named their album Machine Head for... "machine head - a peg mechanism on the head of musical instruments such as the guitar, banjo, or double bass, used for tightening the strings".
They did! I erm, read it in a magazine, no wait! I heard that, no... Ian Paice told me so! yeah!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

I wasn't. trying to cause a debate I know the song is about a tribute to the 50's singers (Little Richard,Jerry Lee Lewis, and so on) I just know SK were popular back then I just thought maybe DP was trying to think of a name and seen Ian's pedal LOL, I'm glad Ludwig is making a comeback there starting to do cool things again. Speed Kings will always be a great pedal a lot better then the "Ghost" pedal IMO back in those days but I don't. want to create another debate so i'll just keep it at that LOL.

Bonzolead
Old 07-13-2009, 04:03 PM
TFITTING942

Quote:
. Speed Kings will always be a great pedal a lot better then the "Ghost" pedal IMO back in those days but I don't. want to create another debate so i'll just keep it at that LOL.

Bonzolead
Those ghost pedals were terrible. They had a watch spring on the side. I was fotunate enogh that my very first kit came with a Speed King pedal. I didn't know anything about it but I liked it a lot. The only reason I stopped playing it was that my new Pearl kit came with 2 new Pearl pedals that I liked right away.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
Those ghost pedals were terrible. They had a watch spring on the side. I was fotunate enogh that my very first kit came with a Speed King pedal. I didn't know anything about it but I liked it a lot. The only reason I stopped playing it was that my new Pearl kit came with 2 new Pearl pedals that I liked right away.
Yes I agree those Ghost pedals were like playing a bean bag LOL.

Bonzolead
Old 07-24-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Speed Kings will always be a great pedal a lot better then the "Ghost" pedal IMO back in those days but I don't. want to create another debate so i'll just keep it at that LOL.
Bonzolead
Not to be contrary, but it really is what you get used to. I've been playing a Ghost since about '74. Only pedal I've used since that time. I started on a Speed King and liked it, but I had a chance to test drive the Ghost, and I liked it better. It really is simply a matter of using it and developing skill with it if you feel the need or desire to. I just scored an additional Ghost off of Ebay to put on a rehearsal set. Long board direct drive pedals are far from a new concept, the Speed King and the Ghost are great examples of that. :)

Lyle

E-drums:
Roland TDW-20
Old 07-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

So Ludwig should update the Ghost, then they'll have a compression spring, direct drive long board contender all in one pedal.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:15 PM

I started on the speed king and loved it, but I find it outdated as far as reliablity. Ive broken 2 of them so I bought an Axis because it was the closest thing that I could find at the time, now the trick dominator, pro-, and the pearl demon all feel really cool. I just wish ludwig would make an updated verson, the only complaint I have about the pedal is the linkages. The link from the pedal to the base is that weird clip, the link from the pedal to the beater lever is that weird clip, and the beater isnt offset from the drive link so if you want a short beater, the shaft runs into the link along the stroke. I still think its a wonderful pedal though.