DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Default Would this work for ear protection?

I've been using in-ear hearing plugs while playing but I've really been wanting to listen to music at the same time. Could I buy some shooting ear muffs and just use my mp3 players headphones? I think this would be a cheap alternative to buying some actually made for drumming.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Would this work for ear protection?

Sure, I do that myself. Just don't blast the volume on your mp3 player too loud - defeats the whole purpose of the hearing protection.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:41 AM

Your hearing is irreplaceable. If you plan on drumming for a large portion of your life, do yourself a favor and buy some Vic Firth iso's on ebay plug in and enjoy!!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTON 94 View Post
I've been using in-ear hearing plugs while playing but I've really been wanting to listen to music at the same time. Could I buy some shooting ear muffs and just use my mp3 players headphones? I think this would be a cheap alternative to buying some actually made for drumming.
Yes, that will work if you're careful to keep the volume on the plugs down. I used to do it the other way around with headphones on and wearing sound-reducing ear plugs. Worked great.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Yes, that will work if you're careful to keep the volume on the plugs down. I used to do it the other way around with headphones on and wearing sound-reducing ear plugs. Worked great.
that sounds like the sensibiler option as the hearing plugs help to block out some of the harsher tones of the headphones as well as the external noise.

Sounds like an okay option to me, just make sure you don't stick it on too loud as most in ear headphones (esp cheapo ones) can have pretty harsh frequencies that hurt your ears and that. Just make sure you can hear whatever you're trying to listen to over your drumming and no louder than that.

One thing i would say is definetly don't start trying to save money on your hearing protection, if you've not got some ear defenders already then might as well save up an extra 20 or 30 bucks to get some isophones, this is your hearing we're talking about here, no amount of money will ever make up for the way tinnitus fucks you over, believe me.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUSTON 94 View Post
Doesn't work well. Better to buy a wired iso-phone like the one from Vic firth. It's affordable compared to other types and works just as well.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
That's just suicide for your ears. To hear the music through the plugs, you'll have to set the volume so high that it beats the purpose of protection.

Oh well, if you think you're smart, go ahead but don't come crying back in a few years when your ears give up on you, you become mad of the constant ringing in your ears and eventually will have to quit drumming.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJazz View Post
That's just suicide for your ears. To hear the music through the plugs, you'll have to set the volume so high that it beats the purpose of protection.

The net effect would be no different than pumping a CD into the room with shooting muffs on. The plugs have about 25-30dB of attenuation, a set of closed-ear headphones have a few more. The level at your ear is whatever the level of the headphones and the drums are, minus the attenuation. The level with a PA is the combined level of the speakers and drums, minus the attenuation. If the kit is 100dB, the kit mixed with music at an equal volume is 110dB, no difference where the music comes from. If you turn up too loud, you'll exceed the ability of the plugs, and hurt your ear over time. If you play a little quieter, or accept a lower volume on the CD playback, you can easily keep to safe levels (with hearing protection). No difference.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

Oh well, if you think you're smart, go ahead but don't come crying back in a few years when your ears give up on you, you become mad of the constant ringing in your ears and eventually will have to quit drumming.

I think it's safe to say MFB knows what he's doing. I've used the same thing he has for 10 years and have not had a problem. It's about controlling the sound that's coming into your ears sensibly!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:

Actually it's fine because I used close-backed headphones anyway and I don't need the music that loud. Trust me, my hearing is fine. Although moulded in-ears are on the list.