DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Christ-Hammer

Default Band name change!

So my band has decided that the name Blind Identities just doesn't sound good and we are changing it. I was curious to know how everyone here feels about the name......................................... *drum roll*............................................. ...................
A Good ol' Spankin
I think it would be humorous, great for marketing and also represent our sense of humor and personality. Tell me what you guys think, I want honest answers don't try to be nice, but don't leave stupid posts!!!!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Band name change!

CH, with that name, there could be a lot of leather (maybe the odd whip) amongst your audiences :)

It depends on the style you play. My guess is that the music would need a humorous element for it to work. Good name if there is.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

It reminds me of the "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" movie where Michael Palin is in the castle full of young women...all alone.... They all want to be spanked! LOL

You gotta be a Python fan to appreciate that name. Your new name conjures up all sorts of ideas. LOL Great name.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Come See A Good Ol Spankin!
sure... I'd probably stop to see what that was about. :)
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 PM
TFITTING942

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelimpingtoad View Post
Come See A Good Ol Spankin!
sure... I'd probably stop to see what that was about. :)
I think I'd rather see A Limping Toad...
Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Christ-Hammer

So kind of half and half = / need more replies please...
Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Gold Member

I think it's ridiculous, if you don't take yourselves serious, take the name. If you do take yourselves serious, make up a name that doesn't make a fool of you.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, get a serious name, CH!

A Good Ol' Spankin = frivolous

Desirable Assault = serious

:)
Old 07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Christ-Hammer

This is where it gets tricky..... What is a serious name today? We do a lot of metal and being around the scene for a while I started to realize that people come up with some ridiculous names and I don't mean in the funny sense. Its like they are trying to be brutal sounding with their name even if they have nothing to do with the name. I have also seen a lot of names with the words as, the, of, blood, black, fall.... Really are these people all serious about names like As Grace Falls, Welcome the Fall, I Declare War..... Do I need to name more? Also look at Strapping Young Lad, what a weird name so........ how did they get big again?

Just a little background insight of where I'm viewing this name from. I am not backing the name up by any means with this post I am just trying to clarify what a couple of you consider to be "serious" because I am seeing a lot of good names that you would consider to be serious crumble and a lot of strange names getting big in the marketing area.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Gold Member

Call yourself "Takkeherrie", it means something as "loud noise" in Dutch.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ-Hammer View Post
Also look at Strapping Young Lad, what a weird name so........ how did they get big again?
Because Devin Townsend i completely insane (in all the right ways) and can pull that name off.

Personally not a fan of the new name at all, it brings visions of a hillbilly band consisting of three banjo players and a guy blowing into a jug.

That being said, a name won't make or break a band. That's where the music, live shows, promotion and work ethic of the band comes in.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

The Spankin' Fall? Black Spank? Spanking Blood? Death By Spanking??

(sorry, too much red tonight)
Old 07-30-2009, 04:17 PM
TFITTING942

[quote=Naigewron;598643] it brings visions of a hillbilly band consisting of three banjo players and a guy blowing into a jug.

/QUOTE]

HA HA HA I actually laughed out loud at that visual here at work and everyone is looking at me now. HAHAHAHA that made my morning man!

Pollyanna was heading towards "Monkey Spank" I think but who knows?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

I am liking that death by spanking one! Or good ol ass whoopin
Old 07-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
The Spankin' Fall? Black Spank? Spanking Blood? Death By Spanking??
Spanking blood? That's one i would avoid for sure...

I thought this was a country band based on the name "good ol spankin"... like "Good ol boys" or something... but if its a metal band I would reconsider the name.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:20 AM
Platinum Member

LimpingToad, then we could remove the confusion with Metallic Spank or maybe Spanked With Metal (whoa!). Or of course, there's Fallen Black Blood Spanking, which could be a flag-bearer for in-vogue metal names.

The idea of a group of hillbilly boys called "A Good Ol' Spankin" who are into fiddling and blowing doesn't bear thinking about ... and I suspect TFit's take on Spankin Blood could be taken to be kind of heaaavy. I hadn't thought of the angles on that name before - honest!

;-)
Old 07-31-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
I think it's ridiculous, if you don't take yourselves serious, take the name. If you do take yourselves serious, make up a name that doesn't make a fool of you.
I disagree with this. A name of a band will ultimately be defined by what the band is. I don't think names like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins, The Beatles or Led Zeppelin were chosen because the bands said "we have to take ourselves seriously." They obviously did take themselves seriously enough to be the mega bands they became but chose names that reflected their own creative urges and were a bit different or strange.

Having said that and knowing you don't want to use cliche words like "the", how about Buck the Slobbering Donkey?

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:35 PM

Zep chose their name as a joke... someone (i forget who) had made the comment that their band was "Going to go down like a lead zeppelin"... and their name stuck. That's how it goes a lot of times it seems... I think a lot of people don't really sit around thinking up a name for ones that are really good, a lot of times they just sort of happen. That's what happened with my band "Animal Society"... the name came from my bassist and I having an argument about wether or not animals live in societies... the next day he came in and said... "i have the perfect name 'Animal Society'"

I personally don't care much for the name "Good ol Spankin", But that's just me. If you guys are set on the name then don't let anyone make you change it.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Christ-Hammer

The thing is we don't care anymore about what our name is really and A Good ol' Spankin just sounds so funny and if someone came across a name like that wouldn't they be like "hmm maybe I should check that out" because you don't see names like that in the metal area too often. I just wanted to get your opinions here because I wanted to see the reaction and to my surprise all of your negative responses makes me want the name more hahahaha, I don't know why it's probably just a psychological thing who knows, but we may stick with the name depending on the next few responses...
Old 08-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Platinum Member

Hey C-H, are all the guys in the band keen on the name? I wonder if the metal you guys play will scare all the hillbillies from the S&M scene you will attract?

;-)
Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Christ-Hammer

No the guitar player hates the name but doesn't care, I don't care but am neutral and the keyboard player who thought up the name loves it.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
I think I'd rather see A Limping Toad...
my friends actually have a band called The Stumblin' Toads kinda southern jam rock thing.

but i dont know how i feel about the new name.. maybe if you play some kind of metalcore it would work. those folks seem to enjoy that kind of thing

but it definately would pique my interest if i saw a flier

like i cant remember the movie but an outcast frat was throwing a party and their band couldnt come up with a name so they named it Everyone Gets Laid so the flier read "Tonight Everyone Gets Laid!" hah yeah...
Old 08-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

hey ch,

my band's name is Come On Go With Us and i like it. alot of people dont, but oh well. you ask if its not a joke, how do you avoid the over serious name. just get a name that is a simple idea. dont try and change lives with it. dont try and scare people. use a name that gives people some idea of your sound and one that may attract them to a show.

our name is just a southern saying we had all heard too many times and felt it would work. also, the fact that our acronym, COGWU, is pronounceable (said kog-woo) is always a plus...

either way, good luck,
tb
Old 08-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Christ-Hammer

Thanks for the feedback, I will think of some more names but my stupid guitar player is so freakin picky that it really just makes me not care to think of one....
Old 08-04-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt949 View Post
"Tonight Everyone Gets Laid!" hah yeah...
That's like how we joked about calling our band "Open Mic Night" and this one guy i know wanted to call his old band "Free Lobster" :)
First one would just really make other musicians mad when they came to try and play at open mic... and the second would get the crowd pretty disapointed.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

There was a band playing around Sydney in the 70s called "Free Beer". Everyone was thinking, "Why didn't we think of that?". Back in the Pleozoic Era one of my old bands would play gigs with a full-on grunge band called "The Real [Fornicating] Idiots" (I have to tone it down for the forum). They sounded so wicked on stage but were the nicest people :)

C-H, what does the picky guitarist want to call the band? Let me the guess ... something like "Black Blood Fall"?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Christ-Hammer

He suggested Valkyrie, Wings of Odin, and That F***ing Chipmunk Ate My Car........
Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 PM
TFITTING942

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelimpingtoad View Post
That's like how we joked about calling our band "Open Mic Night" and this one guy i know wanted to call his old band "Free Lobster" :)
First one would just really make other musicians mad when they came to try and play at open mic... and the second would get the crowd pretty disapointed.
At a club years ago they had one of those black signs with the whit stick on letters out front and some one changed it... instead of reading "Open Dart Competition" it read "Open Fart" . We almost crashed the car we laughed so hard. We always joked about naming a band that.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
He suggested Valkyrie, Wings of Odin, and That F***ing Chipmunk Ate My Car........
I like both of the first two better then "Good Ol Spanking" but they might be too generic for you... or maybe you're not asatru practitioners... or whatever.. but "Valkyrie" and "Wings of Odin" are much more serious sounding.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post
It reminds me of the "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" movie where Michael Palin is in the castle full of young women...all alone.... They all want to be spanked! LOL

You gotta be a Python fan to appreciate that name. Your new name conjures up all sorts of ideas. LOL Great name.
Toad the Wet Sprocket is a band name from Monty Python's as well so I think any name you like is fine. In the end if the music is smoking, nobody cares what the name is as long as they can remember it.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Gold Member

Trust me, anything is better than "Acidic Dump", "Goosechoker", and "Bomb Them!"

Unfortunatly those are some of my bands.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
He suggested Valkyrie
The first thing I thought of was the stone henge scene in Spinal Tap :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlf5ucFanpY
Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Christ-Hammer

Its just so cliche, I think we are gonna stick with a good ol spankin, thanks for all of your feedback, you guys were great to work with.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

I think Limping Toad is right in that once people know you the name fits and it's not an issue. In the late 70s on a Friday night some friends wanted to see who was playing at the Bondi Lifesaver - one of Sydney's better venues at the time. "Cold Chisel? Ugh! What's on at the Stagedoor Tavern?".

Cold Chisel ended up being one of the biggest bands in the country not so long afterwards. Apparently they'd thought up the name in a hurry a while before and it stuck.

I guess someone was named Edward Frogbottom people might roll their eyes but if he was a good guy then people would forget the name. Same with funny-looking people, once you get to know them their personality is all people notice.

Marketing, of course, is about gaining attention, making a good first impression and letting people know who you are. You'll at least tick the first box :)
Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I think Limping Toad is right
I usually am... but i didn't say that :) that was bruce.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Oops ... I deserve a good ol' spanking for that!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

This is always a fun tool.

http://www.bandnamemaker.com/
Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 PM

I once had a metal band and for the name we basically just mixed up some words that sound long and big and didn't really care if they worked together our band was called RETALIATORYDAETHCONSUMPTION it's really three words but bigger and scarier as one. www.myspace.com/daethkvlt <-- there's some of our tunes but that was like 5 years ago this is me now ---> www.myspace.com/brendancolamecodrums

See ya