DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Vintage cymbal stackers?

OK, so does anyone know who made the early cymbal stackers that the likes of Ginger Baker and Ian Paice used, how did they connect up, were they any good and is there a modern equivalent (as opposed to the bulky Gibraltar, Pearl, Tama-style multi-adjustable contraptions that you fix to a cymbal stand via a small key bolt)?

Cheers,

Cubby
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vintage cymbal stackers?

I always thought those were cool.

It seems like it was something that Ludwig (maybe Slingerland too) made up for their players back then.

It looks like a regular bass drum ride mount holder, but with a threaded tube (instead of the wing nut going in the pressed on threaded nub).

Then the top would go on the tilter after the bottom cymbal was place on the stand.
Louie Bellson had one of these, Neil Peart had one (Slingerland), Carl Palmer had one or two of these things too.

Their cymbal center holes may have been enlarged for this application too.

You could probably make this.

You'd want an 8mm (or 6mm--the usual threads on tilters) threaded nut that was about an inch long (you can find them in the hardware shop).

Then you'd epoxy the threaded nut into a small tube with a tilter on it. You could use a Ludwig cymbal arm, or a 1/2" DW top tube from the flat base stand (they sell the piece separate).I'm sure there's other brand with that size tube...Gibraltar has one too.

Ludwig's cymbal holder part number is:
P-1775-A2 (that's the center tube with ratchet and wing screw).
You'd epoxy the threaded nut into that tube and then place it on top of the other tilter.

Actually, you could probably use any tilter you want on top of a center tube that would work.
That's my 2 cents anyway.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 PM

Back in the olden days the wimpy cymbal stands had a pretty small diameter upper shaft, about the diameter of a modern boom arm or smaller. Straight stands with a tilter at the top. I used to put a flat metal cymbal washer and a felt on 'em and they held a cymbal just like in that picture of Ginger Baker.

In other words, those were just normal straight stands in that picture.
I could be wrong, been known to happen!

Last edited by Toad; 07-17-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, the 1/2 inch top tube.

It's the same size now on the DW and Gibraltar flat base stands, and I think the Ludwig FB stand & cymbal mount is 1/2" tube as well.

Toad, not that those old stands were really 'sturdy', but how were they after you placed another section and a cymbal on it?

GB has that kit on the Classic Rock Drum Solos DVD and he didn't play very light on them.
He wasn't slamming, just playing his normal way.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 PM

Okay Karl, if I remember right...

...there was no extra top section. I just lowered the second section so I could have the top section fully extended just like you see in the Baker pic.

The bottom cymbal sat on the top of the second section with a washer and felt.

(Keep in mind it was a long time ago and I don't fully remember my equipment and I may have had an extra section on those stands, I just don't recall. I know I've made a few Frankenstands.)

I seem to remember that it was stable and sturdy enough and not too top heavy due to the heavy ride on the bottom. I never had any fall over while playing.

My stands didn't even have tripod type legs like we have today. They were flat base.

Yeah I had two stands at the floor toms just like in the Baker pic.

The thing I remember not liking was when the stands didn't look straight due to the rickety-ness of 'em.

So maybe today, a guy could get the longest boom arm he could find, and put it as near to vertical as he could get it and put a washer and felt on it and VIOLA.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Back in the olden days the wimpy cymbal stands had a pretty small diameter upper shaft, about the diameter of a modern boom arm or smaller. Straight stands with a tilter at the top. I used to put a flat metal cymbal washer and a felt on 'em and they held a cymbal just like in that picture of Ginger Baker.

In other words, those were just normal straight stands in that picture.
I could be wrong, been known to happen!
I never tried it but I agree that this looks like a normal stand with the cymbal sitting on the base and a felt, and the top cymbal mounted the normal way. Good idea other than keyholing and the fact that todays stands are just too big.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:21 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I already own a Ludwig cymbal arm (the type that mounts onto the bass drum) and I did experiment briefly with mounting the tilter section onto my flat based Gib stand but I wouldn't have been happy to throw on my cymbals and gig with it... :s

Unfortunately, I'm not that technically minded, otherwise I'd love to attempt Karl's suggestion - the other problem is that here in the UK, both DW and Ludwig are not very forthcoming when it comes to providing small parts such as the top sections of cymbal stands, etc and shipping from the States is quite steep. Indeed, Ludwig's UK rep even personally informed me that the company no longer made the aforementioned bass drum cymbal arm despite it being listed in their catalogue! So, I had to trawl eBay and eventually found a NOS one from a few years back.

I guess it's just something I will have to learn to live without! :D

Thanks again for your responses.

Best wishes,

Cubby