DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 AM

Default drum wrap

i posted the other day about sparkle brite material as a drum wrap,but did not have any luck finding someone who has used it.it is sold by someone on ebay for$59.00 and there are multiple listings with many different color choices.they do not call it sparkle brite in their ad but i am pretty sure thats what it is.i hope this clears up any confusion as to what i am asking about, so please if any one has used this let me know how it was to install and how is it holding up. thanks yamaha5p
Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: drum wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha5p View Post
i posted the other day about sparkle brite material as a drum wrap,but did not have any luck finding someone who has used it.it is sold by someone on ebay for$59.00 and there are multiple listings with many different color choices.they do not call it sparkle brite in their ad but i am pretty sure thats what it is.i hope this clears up any confusion as to what i am asking about, so please if any one has used this let me know how it was to install and how is it holding up. thanks yamaha5p
Was this it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Blue-Glitter...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 07-09-2009, 03:49 AM
Administrator

http://www.dickblick.com/products/sp...-glitter-film/
Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 AM

not to clutter this thread but has anyone used it, is it good, does it hold up after awhile. eoud like t recover my tama's with white gloss
Old 07-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Buy it here.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/sp...-glitter-film/

I got some material from the eBay guy before I knew about SB and the eBay guy's material that isn't actual Sparkle Brite stinks. His Red Sparkle is NOT SB so if you are currious as to what he has, ask for some samples first.

Sparkle Brite is actual pieces of Glitter under the top color layer, with NO gaps between the glitter flakes.

I used Sparkle Brite Silver Sparkle on a Black kit and it turned out really great.
The material is 4 mils thick, sticks down very well and looks great.

The pics aren't the greatest, because it looks WAY cooler in person.

Know up front though, if you do a bass drum hoop, the pedal WILL scrape it up on the underside.

Fussion just used the Red Sparkle Sparkle Brite on some drums and he had great results too.

Sparkle Brite's Red Sparkle is the exact same shade as Red Sparkle plastic wrap.
Because of what the RS looked like, I'd venture to say the Blue & Green material looks the same as the usual plastic wrap too.
The Gold SB is in between Champagne and Gold sparkle. It's very nice.

Since it's thin, you can go right over any existing finish, it's opaque, and it doesn't affect the drum head (like touch it) in any way.

As for the durability, I think it could last a long time looking great if you aren't rough with your gear.
Now that I've had it on a couple months, I'd say it's really decently durable, more than a satin, & the nice thing is, if you do get a nick in it, you can put a small piece over the mark and you'd never see it unless you are right directly on top of it a couple inches away.

Good luck, & buy it direct--that's my advice.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

BTW, this whole kit, plus a 14x14 ft, 2 sets of 26" hoops, and an 8x12 tom cost a grand total of $131 which included the shipping. I bought 10 yards.

Drums done:
20x26
9x12
8x12
14x14
13x15
14x16
16x18
2 sets of 26" bd hoops.

Plus I sent a couple large piece samples out to some people.

One Gibralrar Rims mount too...I went a little crazy...here's a pic of the mount on the tom, it does look kind of cool, but I ended up not using it after all....

Old 07-10-2009, 12:26 AM

dude those look awesome thanks for the info ,if you have any tips for installing the material please let me know. thanks again yamaha5p
Old 07-18-2009, 12:38 AM

Yo, you get what you pay for.... I recently rewraped my vintage Ludwigs with the "E-Bay"
wrap... Green sparkle...The stuff looks amazing...Until you get any humidity or heat on them. Recently did an outdoor gig (covered) with extreme humidity here in the Detroit area. Dont really know if it was the 45 minutes in the car in cases or what... But the stuff wrinkled up worst than Freddy Kruegers face. It was embarrasing. Looked great from 5 feet away though. Wouldn't recommend the product myself. Now I have to redo the kit again.. using some "good" wrap or veneer.

McCanny
Old 07-19-2009, 06:31 AM

Hey guys, take it from someone who works in the signage and vehicle wrap industry.

That sparkle brite is just a metallic vinyl. Sometimes vinyl has a trend to shrink after a couple years because it starts to dry out and exposure to UV light.

Since this stuff is metallic based your not going to have an issue with shrinking

BUT the adhesive on that stuff gets more and more aggressive as time goes on. It will also be affected if it gets hit with a lot of direct sunlight or UV light (I'm talking about years of exposure).

I know from experience that when metallic vinyls get older and you try to remove them they don't usually come off like the sheet you put them on as. Rather they rip and tear and leave most to all their adhesive behind.

SO worst case scenario would be that after years of having them applied (5 or more, most likely) when you go to remove them your going to have a PITA time of possibly getting them off and plus the possible adhesive left behind.

My advice: For short term and cheap, go ahead and do it.
But don't leave it on there for years and think that you won't have issues removing it.